Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 03:48 PM

668 posts, read 690,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Correct, and as I stated before, people are making a choice by voting for politicians that will restrict the use of credit reports. As in the past where everything was "voluntary", including discrimination, sexual harassment, dangerous working conditions, genetic info, etc, employers refused to change their ways, so the employees through the power of the vote did it for them.
And that's fine too. We have lot's of laws to protect people from themselves. There are other way's to obtain the needed information. You keep comparing apples to oranges which is just a way to put up a silly straw-man because you have nothing factual to present. Requiring a credit history is a valid and useful tool in the hiring process and will always be used at some point in the process. Or more jobs will go out of the country where we don't have to deal with the workers directly and where people want to work and will produce for less. Or we automate the process more. As cost increase to employee people we look for way's to get the job done without them. This is one cause of unemployment in the country. To many out of work people are too greedy, or really don't want to work. It's always your choice.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:52 PM

453 posts, read 631,911 times
Quote:
Correct, and as I stated before, people are making a choice by voting for politicians that will restrict the use of credit reports. As in the past where everything was "voluntary", including discrimination, sexual harassment, dangerous working conditions, genetic info, etc, employers refused to change their ways, so the employees through the power of the vote did it for them.
Precisely. Business has never been good at self-regulating in a way that is consistent with the public good, so we the people have to regulate them through laws passed by the representatives we elect.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:02 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
And that's fine too. We have lot's of laws to protect people from themselves. There are other way's to obtain the needed information. You keep comparing apples to oranges which is just a way to put up a silly straw-man because you have nothing factual to present. Requiring a credit history is a valid and useful tool in the hiring process and will always be used at some point in the process. Or more jobs will go out of the country where we don't have to deal with the workers directly and where people want to work and will produce for less. Or we automate the process more. As cost increase to employee people we look for way's to get the job done without them. This is one cause of unemployment in the country. To many out of work people are too greedy, or really don't want to work. It's always your choice.
Laws to protect from themselves? You mean like laws requiring employers to pay the wages they promised? or laws regarding safety? Discrimination? No, it is more like laws to prevent employers from screwing over people, after all, it was not all too long ago employers had slaves, employers currently violate US labor laws by employing people not authorized to work in this country, that is an employer for you.

So, employers are now going to off shore because a restriction in credit reporting? That is a good one, what was the excuse for all the previous off shoring? fact is, they will pursue where they best will have a competitive advantage. I seriously doubt restricting credit report use is going to have any impact, if the company would have moved, they would have done so for factors other than credit reports.

You obviously are convinced credit reports are some tool, yet you provide no logic nor evidence why it is so. There is absolutely no reason why an employer needs to see my credit report, investment portfolio, or any other personal item not related to the job. A credit report is not related to job skills and performance, you have not at one time shown a reason it is besides the rambling "employers should be able to do anything they want".

Old 12-25-2013, 04:16 PM

I think he's just nosy. For all we know, some of these employers want access to credit reports of applicants so they can identify high scorers and then steal their identities. Nothing would surprise me, at this point.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:22 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Then choose not to apply with companies that do credit checks. Simple Solution!
I don't have to worry about it. It is already Illegal in Illinois but I have indeed withdrawn my application in several cases where companies and HR let their hiring processes run out of control. If they want to jerk people around let them hire a jerk.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:27 PM

170 posts, read 373,019 times
Quote:
This type of thinking is everything that's wrong in the labor market.

What you're saying is that American companies should come up with a big wish list of ridiculous requirements for what they want in prospective employees, and if they can't find them at home, bring them in from abroad, from among the other 7-something-billion workers in the world. It's completely un-American. I resent it.

I bet that at least one of your ancestors had bad credit or a criminal record, but were able to start a new life and get a chance at demonstrating their ability to show up at work on time every day and be productive, be trained on-the-job, get promoted, make more money and eventually be able to support the family that you were descended from.

Nowadays, with all the ridiculous filtering mechanisms that companies are using to screen out people who don't look perfect on paper, so many Americans are getting thrown to the curb. Companies have become completely spoiled. If an unlimited number of H1B Visas were allowed, every American besides those in upper management would be unemployed.

I bet you that Einstein's Theory of Relativity would be unknown to us if Einstein had grown up in America today. First of all, he was a poor college student, which means his resume would never reach a hiring manager's desk, due to the low GPA printed on it. Second of all, Einstein was notorious for boarding the train without remembering to buy a ticket, which would probably show up on his credit report and render him unemployable due to the thinking of people like FundamentalBibleBeliever.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:29 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
You obviously are convinced credit reports are some tool, yet you provide no logic nor evidence why it is so. There is absolutely no reason why an employer needs to see my credit report, investment portfolio, or any other personal item not related to the job. A credit report is not related to job skills and performance, you have not at one time shown a reason it is besides the rambling "employers should be able to do anything they want".
Actually BibleBeliever has made a strong argument in favor of allowing credit reports, as have several others, and those opposed simply deny or ignore these arguments while continuing to press their privacy/fairness agenda.

Is it not possible to accept that credit checks by employers are intrusive and troubling and unfair, but also are a useful tool for weeding out unacceptable candidates?

It's troubling to me that when I go in for an interview, they are looking at my bald spot, and my shortness, and my un-stylish glasses, and my skin color, and jumping to all sorts of conclusions that are unfair and possibly opposite of the truth. I know I'm not perfect, but I've always been an honest and hard working employee, yet I don't get some jobs thanks to all sorts of superficial prejudices and biases on the part of the interviewer (and, probably, on my part as well). As is true for everyone else.

Life is not fair. You can't legislate fairness. If you try to, you'll just create more evils. If you don't like credit checks, you can either #1 vote with your feet, or #2 ban it. Someone mentioned slavery, failing to pay owed wages, etc. as examples of the need for legislation. Well, fine, but when you ban making people work for free, you also ban unpaid interns, which has become a big problem recently as young college grads are finding it harder to get jobs because companies are reluctant to bring in unpaid summer interns. Few would disagree with the idea of unpaid interns as a great way to gain valuable experience and contacts within an industry, yet the laws now all but prohibit it.

Likewise, banning credit checks based on a faulty assumption that employers don't need to conduct them is going to lead to all sorts of unintended consequences such as, for example, a decrease in full time hires as companies give up trying to vet applicants and turn more to outsourcing, as has been happening for the past 30 years. This law will simply accelerate that trend.

Ultimately if we continue down this road, we'll have a perfectly fair and just system of employment in the United States, with no employees outside the government. Think on whether this is a desirable situation.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:35 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
I agree, credit checks are stupid and besides the point, background checks in terms of crime or real issues is great but credit checks- stupid!

Old 12-25-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I don't have to worry about it. It is already Illegal in Illinois but I have indeed withdrawn my application in several cases where companies and HR let their hiring processes run out of control. If they want to jerk people around let them hire a jerk.
It's illegal in Maryland, too, except for certain classes of jobs for which I have no intention of applying. I can't wait to move there so I'll live in a sane place.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:38 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Didn't even know they did this...

"We're not going to hire you, because you need to rebuild your credit...never mind the fact that by not hiring you, you won't be able to rebuild your credit..."

People are insane...I swear. When will you finally start pushing back?
I mean seriously, thanks for pointing this out! How would people rebuild their credit, if not for employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search