Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 12:44 PM

280 posts, read 686,053 times

Advertisements

As many of us know, our world is becoming increasingly globalized. Thus, more companies/organizations are seeking bilingual and multilingual employees. I believe that Spanish, Chinese, and French are the ones, which are most in demand.

I was wondering how much trouble do employers generally have to go through to find bilingual employees? In other words, does the demand for such employees far outweigh the supply?

Do you know anyone who has sought a bilingual employee? If so, what was the process like for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
In my business, demand far outstrips supply for specific languages (Vietnamese, Hmoung and Spanish are the big ones). It takes a ton of recruiting and usually a bilingual pay differential to find the right candidates.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
As many of us know, our world is becoming increasingly globalized. Thus, more companies/organizations are seeking bilingual and multilingual employees. I believe that Spanish, Chinese, and French are the ones, which are most in demand.

I was wondering how much trouble do employers generally have to go through to find bilingual employees? In other words, does the demand for such employees far outweigh the supply?

Do you know anyone who has sought a bilingual employee? If so, what was the process like for them?
Typically demand far outweighs supply. This is also true when you get into skilled positions. I know at our company we had a job posting for about 9 months because we were looking for a bilingual person with a background in survey design (typically involves a specific masters) to take over our South American survey project.

Those types of jobs are when it gets very difficult to find someone that is bilingual and has the specific skillset.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
What types of jobs are most likely to be looking for multi-lingual people?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 AM

736 posts, read 484,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
What types of jobs are most likely to be looking for multi-lingual people?
Translators and phone customer service reps in the US. Nowadays, translators - who can make a lot of money, depending on language combination(s), credentials, field of specialty etc. - usually work freelance (complicated job, but lots of freedom and flexibility can be had). Not sure, though, I would want to work as a bilingual customer service rep in the US (mainly Spanish, Canadian French and perhaps a Chinese, or another Asian language) as the pay is quite low.

(PS: Don't forget the State Department employs bilingual people. But few people ever get selected [must pass rigorous language tests, psychological tests, etc].)

Old 01-24-2013, 12:19 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
Most of the good jobs for bilingual people go to people who are native speakers but live in the United States and happen to be working in that field. When companies can't find something, it's because they want an unusual language, and want to match it with a very particular background - i.e. "must have native-level Turkish with PhD in hydrodynamics..." Because of the randomness of the need and that fact that one must actually have native-like language, there is no way that a person can study a particular language or field and be guaranteed a good job market. So the whole point is moot.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Finding some that speaks Spanish and or Tagalog is easy.
Other languages are difficult to find.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:53 PM

Thank you - I do think normally you need another skill for languages to be useful, unless you speak pretty flawlessly and can interpret. I have only used languages at 2 positions in the past (flight attendant and int'l publishing) and don't use them at all in my work now unfortunately.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
Translators and phone customer service reps in the US. Nowadays, translators - who can make a lot of money, depending on language combination(s), credentials, field of specialty etc. - usually work freelance (complicated job, but lots of freedom and flexibility can be had)
Do you mean interpreters? I always thought there was a lot more work for interpreters rather than translators. If you do mean translators, I wonder what the credentials would be?

I have my own business, so have flexibility, and would love to do translation on the side if it was well paid - or maybe that's not something that people really do on the side? I had thought of applying as a per-diem court interpreter, but it seems stressful. Spanish is my best language but there are tons of bi-lingual spanish-english speakers in NY. My French, Italian and Portuguese are good, but maybe not good enough for that type of position.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:08 PM

810 posts, read 3,306,378 times
At my former company, we usually have good luck getting BYU grads that served their LDS missions (Mormons) in foreign countries. Most of them have great work ethnic and have mastered the language after serving for 24 months abroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search