U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 02:44 PM

68 posts, read 107,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMe123 View Post
I think anybody who has been job-searching for a significant period of time feels the same way. I've been there multiple times. You're not alone.
Or when close friends who you graduated with, with the same major as you got jobs right off the bat and have already started advancing their careers, when you've barely gotten a nibble...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 09:01 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,991,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
I have.

Do I need to explain this again? When you're looking for entry-level jobs, it's not easier to get one at a smaller company. From my 10 months of job searching I've found that smaller companies have the highest standards when it comes to "entry-level" positions. Bigger companies, having lots of extra cash, expanding like crazy, taking up lots of new projects, are more able to take a risk and hire a recent college graduate who doesn't have much experience.
Really I find it's the other way around.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:00 PM

6,837 posts, read 7,898,830 times
Quote:
There's this old guy I see every day in the sauna at my gym around 4 p.m. and will always ask me how the job search is going. I started going to the gym at a different time of the day to avoid him.
Dude, listen to yourself. You're altering your personal schedule to avoid being asked how your job search is going! This is just plain sad brother! Don't avoid it. Face it. Next time he or anyone else looks at you and asks, just reply "I have a BA in Mathematics and I've been unemployed for almost a year with no prospects. How the f*** do you think it's goin'?"Then just casually smile and thank them for asking.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:53 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,108,849 times
You the same guy who used to post under the moniker "AStalkingButler"? I mean, I'm a fan of both Tool and Porcupine Tree as well....

Old 12-21-2013, 04:57 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,622,683 times
Quote:
I absolutely hate it. It's so tiring to keep a straight face and sound optimistic. I know that people are trying to be nice when they ask you, "How's the job search going?", but really it's so soul-crushing that I've started avoiding people altogether. There's this old guy I see every day in the sauna at my gym around 4 p.m. and will always ask me how the job search is going. I started going to the gym at a different time of the day to avoid him. Right now I actually have zero prospects, so I've resorted to telling partial lies if I ever have the displeasure of running into someone who asks about my job search. For instance, I'll say, "I'm still interviewing with Amazon," which is technically true since they never gave me a denial notice last week when they were supposedly going to make a decision. After I had interviewed there, my parents were asking me every day, "Did you hear back from Amazon? Did you hear back from Amazon? Have you heard back from Amazon yet?" I'm dreading all the gatherings I have to go to with family friends this holiday season. It's been the same old thing for 10 months. Someone will ask about my job search, I'll fein optimism, and then they'll say, "Oh, something will show up! I believe in you! You're a smart guy. We've been praying for you." It has no effect on me when people say that. Maybe at the beginning of my job search it would've made me feel encouraged, but now it just sounds like background noise and has no emotional effect on me.

[/RANT]
Hey, at least they "ask"! In my world, they're telling me my place is in front of the laundry machine! I have no support from anyone...(this comes from the in-laws!...and then bleeds into hubby First they told me to stay home with the kids, forced my hand practically with the "guilt thing", and with getting hubby to downgrade his job so we can't afford daycares; then they go: "Ohh you don't need a job, you should mind that laundry!!! a$$holes!)

If I were you, I would just tell them that it bothers you that they ask non stop; unless you do that they won't stop. You just have to tell them that asking every 5 minutes won't change your answer. "No, I didn't hear anything, when I do, I will let you know. In the mean time, please stop asking me because it is bothering me". If they don't stop, then avoid them! I am sure you can find other things to do.

Since when "praying" to get a job helped getting a job? for real?

Old 12-22-2013, 08:47 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,991,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Dude, listen to yourself. You're altering your personal schedule to avoid being asked how your job search is going! This is just plain sad brother! Don't avoid it. Face it. Next time he or anyone else looks at you and asks, just reply "I have a BA in Mathematics and I've been unemployed for almost a year with no prospects. How the f*** do you think it's goin'?"Then just casually smile and thank them for asking.
LMAO Love it! That kind of insane response will make sure they don't ask again lol.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:35 PM

960 posts, read 2,256,981 times
Quote:
I absolutely hate it. It's so tiring to keep a straight face and sound optimistic. I know that people are trying to be nice when they ask you, "How's the job search going?", but really it's so soul-crushing that I've started avoiding people altogether. There's this old guy I see every day in the sauna at my gym around 4 p.m. and will always ask me how the job search is going. I started going to the gym at a different time of the day to avoid him. Right now I actually have zero prospects, so I've resorted to telling partial lies if I ever have the displeasure of running into someone who asks about my job search. For instance, I'll say, "I'm still interviewing with Amazon," which is technically true since they never gave me a denial notice last week when they were supposedly going to make a decision. After I had interviewed there, my parents were asking me every day, "Did you hear back from Amazon? Did you hear back from Amazon? Have you heard back from Amazon yet?" I'm dreading all the gatherings I have to go to with family friends this holiday season. It's been the same old thing for 10 months. Someone will ask about my job search, I'll fein optimism, and then they'll say, "Oh, something will show up! I believe in you! You're a smart guy. We've been praying for you." It has no effect on me when people say that. Maybe at the beginning of my job search it would've made me feel encouraged, but now it just sounds like background noise and has no emotional effect on me.

[/RANT]
I understand your frustration. For someone who has not experience, long-term unemployment, they will not get the sensitivity of the issue.

You are more than a job. Your work may be an indication of your interests but it should never define you as a whole. My advice to stop discussing your job search in detail with those who add no value. Maybe you have another goal or hobby you are pursuing, that should be the focus of your conversation with family and friends. The same way you consult a professional for your health, do the same with your career. Have the in-depth job discussions with your mentor(s), recruiters, or even the people on this board.

I remember the comments "are you even searching?". I still have to shake that one off sometimes.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:19 AM

874 posts, read 1,471,757 times
I think it can be a very innocent question, especially by older people. With that said, I got sick of hearing it too and I made sure to not bring it up if I didn't want to talk about it. I wouldn't avoid someone though just because they ask you that. You could always be honest and then see what he says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or