U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 06:42 PM

533 posts, read 950,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
its wise to ask your new employer about your references, and what they say about you when they call. they will usually tell you the truth, after all they did hire you. the only reason to feel that you were not hired because of references is to get all that way in the hiring process and then boom, they no longer want to hire you. that would be a red flag...it would be wise to talk to your references and make sure they are giving a great interpretation of your work ethic, moxie and personality.
Hmm good idea, never thought to do that. While I was applying for jobs I was always worried that my references or past employers would unintentionally say one wrong word/sentence that could ruin my chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 06:53 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,133,305 times
I was quite surprised to learn what one of my references had said about me to my current manager when she was considering which of her top two candidates she'd make the offer to.

She asked all the usual questions and got reasonable answers, though nothing memorable. Then she asked the common final question, "Is there anything else you can tell me about Midwestern that would be relevant to a hiring decision?"

My reference replied, "oh, yes, she bakes really, really good cookies, and she takes them in to share with her work colleagues whenever she bakes."

That was over two years ago, and my boss STILL comments on that reference, saying that she had never before or since been told ANYTHING like that by anyone's reference she ever contacted. And in a situation where the hiring manager has two strong candidates, any little tiny thing like that can tilt the balance in favor of one person over the other.

So choose your references wisely. And it just might help if you bake them some cookies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or