U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 07:55 PM

2,704 posts, read 4,651,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
That will be held against you because it makes you seem old and outdated.
Old and outdated, like someone who doesn't have a "SmartPhone?"

Friends and relatives ridicule me for not having a SMARTPHONE!

Old 12-21-2013, 10:52 PM

718 posts, read 1,550,222 times
My sister had a good job at a major company in their distribution center. One night some coworkers and she got together and went out for some drinks. She didn't have s change of clothes so she just went out in her work shirt since she wasn't planning on being there that long anyway. Well one of the coworkers took pictures of their little gathering and posted them on Facebook. A few days later she gets called in to HR and was terminated. Apparently someone from management saw the photos and saw my sister wearing her work shirt in one of them and although she didn't have anything to drink that night and in no way did she make her company look negative in any way they let her go because she made her company look bad by wearing her work shirt to a place that served alcohol.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:13 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,302,705 times
Of course HR or the hiring manager does not log in under their own account to check out the picture, so their is a digital footprint, but they still check the persononline.

The elimination because of their appearance is not part of any formal record but informal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
With all due respect, this sounds like complete fiction. I have been a hiring manager, and no company I've ever worked for would have incurred the potential liability of making hiring decisions based on the applicant's appearance.

Certainly, there have been documented cases of over-zealous individuals demanding a job applicant's face-book account login and password, so they can go digging for evidence of improprieties in the individual's private life. And there has been legislation introduced to limit and/or ban that practice, too.

But looking people up on social media just to see if their appearance matches the office decor?? Um, no, not so much.

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 12-22-2013 at 05:39 AM..

Old 12-22-2013, 05:33 AM

2,633 posts, read 5,514,088 times
Quote:
Of course HR or the hiring manager does not log in under their own account to check out the picture, so their is a digital footprint, but they still check the person all.

The elimination because of their appearance is not part of any formal record but informal.
Horse****. This whole thing is made up, particularly the "elimination of 40% part".

And, as a hiring manager, I'm not likely to hold it against someone that they're savvy enough to have their FB profile locked down and unsearchable.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:17 AM

4,125 posts, read 4,138,358 times
Quote:
Of course HR or the hiring manager does not log in under their own account to check out the picture, so their is a digital footprint, but they still check the persononline.

Um you do know what this eventually leads to right?

Linkedin has more advanced features that if you pay more then you get specifically who viewed your profile. This eventually becomes more like caller id where it can be spoofed and keeps going back and forth. I think the movie Hackers made fun of this in the 1990's with caller id, caller id block, caller id block block etc.

So for the most part I can argue that no you aren't going to spy on people left and right in order to eliminate them. I know employees from a state government that do so they'll look at facebook but only disqualify them if they have something crazy. What's crazy? Say military uniforms with weapons and foreign flags/ ussr/nazi etc. Anything racist, anything mysgonistic etc.

Having said this now and then someone does something really stupid like this
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/201...and-race/?_r=0

Um....yeah. There's higher expectations of conduct when you work for a organization and say things in more of a public forum like that.

Besides people would just make accounts private or register under different names. Facebook admitted last year that 83 million profiles are actually fakes or duplicate accounts.
83 million Facebook accounts are fakes and dupes - CNN.com

Old 12-22-2013, 08:39 AM

5,509 posts, read 6,127,550 times
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Old 12-22-2013, 09:07 AM

5,683 posts, read 9,128,818 times
Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or