U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:03 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,308,885 times

Advertisements

At my last job the nice folks in Human Resources and many hiring managers would first go through everyone's resume first, identify the top ten candidates on paper. Then they would do a phone screen to see how the person comes across and limit the group to six people. Finally, they would check out those six people and see how they looked on LinkedIn and Facebook before determining if they should be brought in for a face to face interview.

Because many LinkedIn pages have a picture of the person, if they did not look like the type of person that the company liked, they were eliminated from the list of applicants. The HR folks would also look at their LinkedIn page and see if they had the same information as their resume and how many contacts they had.

Facebook and LinkedIn eliminated about 40 of the people who did a phone screen.

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 12-21-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 12-21-2013, 11:13 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,388,521 times
Where such screening protocols exist, I wonder what HR does with candidates who choose not to participate in social media profiles directly. My dog has social media profiles, but I don't.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:17 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,308,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Where such screening protocols exist, I wonder what HR does with candidates who choose not to participate in social media profiles directly. My dog has social media profiles, but I don't.
That will be held against you because it makes you seem old and outdated.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:21 AM

5,510 posts, read 6,147,904 times
One size does not fit all. We don't look at social media at all.

With that said, it is still important to be careful what one posts about oneself. Even here, which several folks (one especially) can't seem to understand.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:15 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,827,997 times
There's a reason companies are advised against asking for photographs with job applications. Looking at LinkedIn profiles photos to evaluate looks "like the type of person that the company liked" could easily lead to exclude people on the basis of race, ethnicity, and gender.

Even more risky because LinkedIn makes it possible for the person to find out that you searched for them and whether or not you clicked through to their profile. And then tracks every little detail of your page interactions including heatmapping mouse movements. Would make some nasty evidence if a plaintiff could produce a subpoenaed interaction history that showed an HR rep only searching for every candidate of certain minorities and clicking through to the profile and profile details of other candidates.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:52 PM

15,601 posts, read 13,579,761 times
Many people do not have these things; I would not want to work for a company that would not hire someone based on them not having one of these sites, if they are that screwed up about that, I could imagine what a screwed up work environment the place would be.

I seriously doubt any company except for some small lunatic fringe, holds against people they do not have some social media site. I could just imagine the logic "yes, we will pass up the most qualified candidate because they do not have a Linkedin account".

Many people generally suck at searching social media sites for info anyway, so even if a person did have one, there is a chance the employer would not be able to locate it.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:53 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,140,536 times
With all due respect, this sounds like complete fiction. I have been a hiring manager, and no company I've ever worked for would have incurred the potential liability of making hiring decisions based on the applicant's appearance.

Certainly, there have been documented cases of over-zealous individuals demanding a job applicant's face-book account login and password, so they can go digging for evidence of improprieties in the individual's private life. And there has been legislation introduced to limit and/or ban that practice, too.

But looking people up on social media just to see if their appearance matches the office decor?? Um, no, not so much.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:39 PM

11,184 posts, read 8,579,925 times
Are you trying to stir up mess? This sounds completely fishy.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:45 PM

43,500 posts, read 42,030,819 times
I agree. We screen social media and look around the internet for an online footprint, but no way do we eliminate based on photos. That would be idiotic.

People often look different in person anyway.

This sounds like typical water cooler sour grapes bad attitude that gets people fired.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:46 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,218,079 times
That's why I don't post my Photo on my LinkedIn profile. And I don't have a FACEBOOK account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or