U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:30 PM

170 posts, read 310,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Won't be any employers doing that check on you.
What makes you think that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 12:09 AM

495 posts, read 572,970 times
I love how people on message boards will take the time to ask why the op is asking a question or some other bs but nobody actually addresses the question put forth. I too would like to know what employers get from their background checks and who do they use. Can they get all your former work history and if so how. I was under the impression that only ssn has that info and they cant give that info out.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:17 AM

2,633 posts, read 5,514,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
I love how people on message boards will take the time to ask why the op is asking a question or some other bs but nobody actually addresses the question put forth. I too would like to know what employers get from their background checks and who do they use. Can they get all your former work history and if so how. I was under the impression that only ssn has that info and they cant give that info out.
There are a ton of threads on this, and similar, topics.

100% of your employment history will be available from Social Security/IRS. They can disclose this to employers with your permission. Since the process is cumbersome and invasive, most employers use the following:

Credit Reports. Not totally accurate, but if you applied for credit and listed an employer, it's likely on your credit report - particularly if you were with the same employer for a while.

Equifax's The Work Number. Uses payroll data to provide an employment picture. Still not 100%, but remarkably detailed and accurate.

Both of these reports you can pull for yourself.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:27 AM

4,125 posts, read 4,138,358 times
"100% of your employment history will be available from Social Security/IRS. They can disclose this to employers with your permission. Since the process is cumbersome and invasive, most employers use the following"

Not exactly 100%. Internships and volunteering probably won't show up although with internships that might change since they are now budgeting them.

But I would advocate for pulling credit report annually anyway.

Technically speaking until they actually hire you I wouldn't give a SSN out to begin with. There's too much of a chance of potential fraud especially if you don't know what's on the other end. I remember years ago someone giving out some free crap at a college if they signed up for something and it included a ssn. Passport numbers can prove identity without compromising credit history.

Why do I say this? Because even the ceo of lifelock had his ssn compromised.
LifeLock CEO's Identity Stolen 13 Times | Threat Level | Wired.com

Mistaken identity can be mind numbing. Credit is attached to financing anything and frankly these days it's too much of a risk to give that information away.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:42 AM

38,118 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
I too would like to know what employers get from their background checks and who do they use. Can they get all your former work history and if so how. I was under the impression that only ssn has that info and they can't give that info out.
Me too.

Is there a company/service/agency that compiles work history and makes that available to potential employers? Or do do potential employers contact those on the list of former employers to verify information listed on employment application?

Old 12-22-2013, 08:01 AM

5,509 posts, read 6,127,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
I thought you knew him but now it's kinda creepy.
Nothing creepy about it at all. In the past, he's posted his name himself, as well as links to his own personal web page and his LinkedIn page and a photo of himself. So, some of us know who he is, and he knows we do. When he did it, we told him it was a bad idea and either he or the mods took it down. His name is fairly easy to remember, and he posts here a lot. Post a lot, talk about your personal situation a lot, and people get to know you. When I mentioned his age and school status, that was info we know about him because he talks about it all the time.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Me too.

Is there a company/service/agency that compiles work history and makes that available to potential employers? Or do do potential employers contact those on the list of former employers to verify information listed on employment application?
There are several companies. And yes, potential employers do verify past employment history, or the firms doing the background check do it for them.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:05 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,655,449 times
Why do you want to run a background check on yourself? What are you anxious about?

Do you have a criminal history you're trying to conceal?

Old 12-22-2013, 08:11 AM

38,118 posts, read 14,894,548 times
By the way, I think it makes perfect sense to run a background check to see what comes up.

Once went to buy a house only to discover that we owed back taxes to a state we'd never lived in. It took weeks to straighten that out.

May want to do a criminal background check as well. Weren't a bunch of people in Florida pulled from the voting rolls not long ago because their name resembled the names of felons?

Old 12-22-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
By the way, I think it makes perfect sense to run a background check to see what comes up.

Once went to buy a house only to discover that we owed back taxes to a state we'd never lived in. It took weeks to straighten that out.

May want to do a criminal background check as well. Weren't a bunch of people in Florida pulled from the voting rolls not long ago because their name resembled the names of felons?
In some situations, perhaps. In the OP's case, he's a young guy having a hard time finding a job. From what he's told us in numerous posts, he's gone on interviews that haven't progressed to the point where a BI would have been done, so that's probably not a factor in his situation. In his current situation, it doesn't sound like blowing funds on background checks that may be of no value would be a good idea. In his own post, he indicates he realized he made a mistake. So, asking why he thinks he needs one is a valid question. Had he answered it, I or others might have been able to steer him to where he could get what he might be looking for without needlessly spending more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or