U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-22-2013, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Wicker Park, Chicago
4,791 posts, read 13,250,839 times
Reputation: 1944

Advertisements

I think you can still work fast food or retail even though you don't have a GED. He's young and probably never worked so he doesn't have the work credits to even get SSDI. I got SSDI because I have enough work credits.

If you could work at UPS and end up a driver you'd be set.

And you'll never afford a $200,000 house on two minimum wage jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2013, 07:14 PM
 
612 posts, read 1,191,377 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurosis Osmosis View Post
I'm twenty years old and I'm trying to get my first job. I'm applying for general labor and custodial work (minimum wage). Since I don't have a High School Diploma, and I know I can never get a G.E.D, I'm planning to work two minimum wage jobs for eighty hours a week for about five years until I can afford a house. Here's my resume; would you hire me if you read this? What can I change to make it better?



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(My Name)
(My Address)
(My City)
(My Cell Number)
(My Email)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objective
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to consider hiring me. I'm a reliable, disciplined worker and I assure you that I'll give 110% if you hire me. I have a fantastic work ethic, and I work well with people. I'll get you results, and cause no problems. Thank you again.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skills
Yard Work, Construction, Painting
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Education
(The High School I attended)
None

There are plenty of retail, manual labor, and service jobs that will hire you. As matter of fact if I was looking to hire someone for a retail or food service position, I would rather hire someone like you than someone with a college degree because I know you will be more loyal and grateful that you were even able to find a job.

Also, chances are that you probably can't do much better so I won't have to worry about you quitting. Whereas a college graduate will keep looking and jump ship at first chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 07:15 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,849 posts, read 30,506,483 times
Reputation: 22359
An OBJECTIVE is an OBJECTIVE not an introduction.

"Seeking entry level employment in a field that will allow me to grow personally and professionally and gain valuable skills and experience while offering the opportunity to provide valuable service to my employer"

is an objective.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 07:54 PM
 
9,834 posts, read 17,140,513 times
Reputation: 18550
GED math is not college level math. You need to get over feeling sorry for yourself and making excuses. Between social service organizations and religious organizations I am sure you will be able to find someone who will tutor you in math so you can pass the test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 08:52 PM
 
2,777 posts, read 3,369,092 times
Reputation: 5517
Am I the only one observing that for someone who claims to not be able to pass the GED exam, the OP has extremely good grammar and vocabulary skills?

Seriously, his posts are better than probably 75% of the posts on this forum and better than most emails sent by upper level management with masters degrees. lol

Me thinks someone is just having some fun while they are bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 09:25 PM
 
41 posts, read 36,224 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I think you can still work fast food or retail even though you don't have a GED. He's young and probably never worked so he doesn't have the work credits to even get SSDI. I got SSDI because I have enough work credits.

If you could work at UPS and end up a driver you'd be set.

And you'll never afford a $200,000 house on two minimum wage jobs.
I'm aiming for maybe around a $100,000 house. Two minimum wage jobs working eighty hours a week = $30,000 a year. In five years that's $150,000. I could afford buy a $100,000 house with straight cash and have $50,000 left over for security. If I had spent these two years working instead of trying to get a G.E.D (which they erased all my work so it was useless) I'd have $60,000 in the bank right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 09:30 PM
 
41 posts, read 36,224 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Am I the only one observing that for someone who claims to not be able to pass the GED exam, the OP has extremely good grammar and vocabulary skills?

Seriously, his posts are better than probably 75% of the posts on this forum and better than most emails sent by upper level management with masters degrees. lol

Me thinks someone is just having some fun while they are bored.
Well, my dream always was to be a writer. Dreams don't come true though. Because I have middle school grammar skills that means I must have a HSD? I wish that was the case, but it isn't true. If what you're saying about upper level management is true then our world is in a sad state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 09:34 PM
 
533 posts, read 954,996 times
Reputation: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Am I the only one observing that for someone who claims to not be able to pass the GED exam, the OP has extremely good grammar and vocabulary skills?

Seriously, his posts are better than probably 75% of the posts on this forum and better than most emails sent by upper level management with masters degrees. lol

Me thinks someone is just having some fun while they are bored.
Meh, I don't know, learning disorders are so various. My aunt works with kids who have learning disorders and some are straight up mathematical geniuses (and are 8 years old) but can't spell. There's one kid she works with who is phenomenal when it comes to remembering dates, times, the nitty gritty details of historical events, the kid remembers EVERYTHING... but has trouble grasping concepts like time (hours/minutes) and money and measurements.

Everybody is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 09:35 PM
 
41 posts, read 36,224 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
An OBJECTIVE is an OBJECTIVE not an introduction.

"Seeking entry level employment in a field that will allow me to grow personally and professionally and gain valuable skills and experience while offering the opportunity to provide valuable service to my employer"

is an objective.

20yrsinBranson
Good advice, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 09:40 PM
 
41 posts, read 36,224 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
Meh, I don't know, learning disorders are so various. My aunt works with kids who have learning disorders and some are straight up mathematical geniuses (and are 8 years old) but can't spell. There's one kid she works with who is phenomenal when it comes to remembering dates, times, the nitty gritty details of historical events, the kid remembers EVERYTHING... but has trouble grasping concepts like time (hours/minutes) and money and measurements.

Everybody is different.
I dropped out mostly due to bullying in a poor neighborhood. The grades I could have improved if I wasn't being bullied; I can work through my LD. I'm of a strange ethnicity, so I didn't fit into any cliques. I was an easy target.

Last edited by Neurosis Osmosis; 12-22-2013 at 09:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top