U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 10:37 AM

68 posts, read 107,349 times

Advertisements

I have been listing my relevant experience chronologically on my resume. (Note: Relevant experience. I don't have a full job history on my resume). At least for right now, the experience that is most pertinent to the jobs I'm applying to is stuff I did six months ago and beyond.

What do you do? Chronologically or most important?

My resume's only a page long, but I realize if HMs or HR people don't see something juicy quickly, my application gets passed by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 12:24 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,643,318 times
chronologically, current job first

they want to know the time frames

Old 12-22-2013, 01:56 PM

3,785 posts, read 9,240,075 times
Chronologically on the resume, but I'd certainly use the cover letter to highlight my most important skills/experience. Also, do you have something like a "summary of qualifications" section at the top of the resume? That would also give you an opportunity to customize and highlight your top skills.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Chronologically on the resume, but I'd certainly use the cover letter to highlight my most important skills/experience. Also, do you have something like a "summary of qualifications" section at the top of the resume? That would also give you an opportunity to customize and highlight your top skills.
I have a list of equipment skills and software skills at the bottom (I'm looking for jobs in TV/video production. Proficiency with specific types of equipment is necessary)

Old 12-22-2013, 02:24 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,469,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayesRidgeway View Post
I have a list of equipment skills and software skills at the bottom (I'm looking for jobs in TV/video production. Proficiency with specific types of equipment is necessary)
You have it backwards. Don't bury the important skills at the bottom. They might not make it to the bottom, before they hit delete. You have 6 seconds to catch their attention.

Here is an article from Dice that makes the same point.

What Recruiters Look For in a 6-Second Resume Scan - Dice News

Note: Disregard the advice in the article to use a professional to write your resume. They have not helped me at all.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You have it backwards. Don't bury the important skills at the bottom. They might not make it to the bottom, before they hit delete. You have 6 seconds to catch their attention.

Here is an article from Dice that makes the same point.

What Recruiters Look For in a 6-Second Resume Scan - Dice News

Note: Disregard the advice in the article to use a professional to write your resume. They have not helped me at all.
Dully noted.

I've only ever had someone from career services look over my very first resume to fulfill a resume-writing assignment several years ago.

Last edited by HayesRidgeway; 12-22-2013 at 03:04 PM..

Old 12-22-2013, 05:46 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,525,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
chronologically, current job first

they want to know the time frames
To be precise, that is called "reverse chronology".

OP, what you may wish to consider is a "blended" resume. Put your relevant skills and experience up-front, as a sort of "Skills Summary" or "Profile." You can then follow this with a much-abbreviated list of your jobs/employers in reverse chronological order.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:17 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,643,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
To be precise, that is called "reverse chronology".

OP, what you may wish to consider is a "blended" resume. Put your relevant skills and experience up-front, as a sort of "Skills Summary" or "Profile." You can then follow this with a much-abbreviated list of your jobs/employers in reverse chronological order.
skills summaries are often overlooked due to the nature of what people claim to be skilled at. if you do add this section, do so honestly...there is no way you are skilled a million different things. i would recommend 3-5 things. the only reason they would be helpful is if your resume is found by using some sort of keyword finder

Old 12-22-2013, 09:29 PM

Back to equipment and software qualifications: Should I put my education before or after my equipment and software qualifications? Off all the jobs I've applied for, I think I can count on one hand the number of jobs that did not require a college degree, so I'm thinking it should go near the top, but I'm open to suggestions.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:12 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,469,585 times
The placement of education is subjective.

For recent graduates, it is common to put it at the top. The education would trump their limited experience.

After years of experience, there is enough relevant work experience to keep it at the top. Education can go on the bottom.

I do not include an education section in my recent job hunt, but I still got a 30-40% response rate. I have years of experience in the corporate world, but I have no degree.

I always do some minor customization for each job post. Rearrange the order, so that the requested skills in the job post are at the top and the left. I will rearrange bullet points in each job summary also. You need to capture your audience's attention with the first line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or