U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 09:26 AM

632 posts, read 926,571 times

Advertisements

So I interviewed with a company throughout November for a position, which I was offered on Friday. Great salary, benefits, etc. Only planning to counter on vacation.

The wrinkle - the hiring manager is leaving the company at the end of the year. And they are looking for the replacement beginning in January.

Question - is it unorthodox to ask prior to accepting the offer to have a brief phone call/meeting with the operations director (the hiring manager's boss who signed my offer letter) to touch base on the situation/their comfort level/etc.? I only ask because I would report to this position until they found the replacement, and we have not met yet.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 09:36 AM

8,799 posts, read 13,291,364 times
If it is a good job I'd go for it. I pride myself that I come to work to do a good job, stay out of polics, am not easily offended, and can pretty much work with anyone unless they are a serious sociopath. I don't worry to much about who I will work for as as long as I am doing a good job and not being insubordinate it shouldn't matter.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:38 AM

3,491 posts, read 5,524,363 times
Good question.

My only experience with being hired by one person and working for someone else -back in the early 80's - was quite negative. My gut reaction is "Stay away...!" but that's based on said bad experience.

I think I'd want to meet/talk with my new boss, rather than the person the new boss will be reporting to. Haven't the foggiest idea about how to pull that off.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:43 AM

11,133 posts, read 8,540,714 times
It is unorthodox. You may not want to approach it like that. What are your real concerns?

What you could do is to accept the offer. Then when you start, casually contact the operations director and tell him that even though you are new, you are willing to "step up" to help the company fill in any gaps while they search for a new manager. This will make you look good to the operations director and may have some benefits down the line.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:21 AM

2,060 posts, read 4,210,390 times
I think it is a good idea to discuss with the now hiring manager or HR, whoever is communicating with you. S/he would certainly understand. But a 1% chance that the Ops manager, if he hasn't interviewed you directly and is 100% sure about you, may reconsider the decision and put it on hold until the new manager is hired.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:33 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,058,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
So I interviewed with a company throughout November for a position, which I was offered on Friday. Great salary, benefits, etc. Only planning to counter on vacation.

The wrinkle - the hiring manager is leaving the company at the end of the year. And they are looking for the replacement beginning in January.

Question - is it unorthodox to ask prior to accepting the offer to have a brief phone call/meeting with the operations director (the hiring manager's boss who signed my offer letter) to touch base on the situation/their comfort level/etc.? I only ask because I would report to this position until they found the replacement, and we have not met yet.

Thoughts?
I don't see what good a conversation with this director will be. He will not be your boss and he will not at the moment know who will be your boss. Not much to touch base on other than "I haven't hired your boss yet, but I will shortly".

Old 12-23-2013, 10:46 AM

2,060 posts, read 4,210,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I don't see what good a conversation with this director will be. He will not be your boss and he will not at the moment know who will be your boss. Not much to touch base on other than "I haven't hired your boss yet, but I will shortly".
You can have tons to talk to the Director. You can validate the role and responsibilities and ask if he envisions it being changed under the new manager. Is it just about changing one manager or are there other reorgs that may change the group structure and the role in question. You can validate the discussions you had with the hiring manager on career progression to check if he as the group head shares his view or were they the hiring manager's thoughts that goes out the window with him leaving the team. These are very important discussions with huge impact on the role. How about any discussion on flexible work arrangement or a training program you were offered after joining? Needs to be validated as well.

OP - If I were you, I would want to discuss this with the hiring manager who would inturn refer you to the group Director.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 AM

389 posts, read 568,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post

Thoughts?
I'm not saying your crazy for desiring that, but I'd be worried about coming off as high maintenance/someone who doesn't easily get along with everyone, ya know?

Old 12-23-2013, 11:54 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,566,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I don't worry to much about who I will work for as as long as I am doing a good job and not being insubordinate it shouldn't matter.
I agree with your entire post, but especially liked this part.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:49 PM

15,358 posts, read 17,616,116 times
Either accept the job or turn it down. IMO, you will seem like a high maintenance employee if you try meddle into the situation with the hiring manager's replacement. It's not your choice to pick the new manager and it will seem too controlling. In fact, they might just decide they don't want to hire you after having the discussion with you.

Bottom line, managers come and go. Even the new one might get promoted in 1 year. Or a reorganization could occur at any time and you get a different manager.

Once nice thing about having a brand new manager. You are learning about the company at the same pace as the new manager. So you have something in common. And you don't have peers that are the manager's pet...because those relationships didn't form yet. So everyone is still forming the relationship with the new manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or