U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 09:09 PM

427 posts, read 793,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurosis Osmosis View Post
My mistake, I'm not an experienced wage slave yet.
Why would any company want to hire you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 09:22 PM

41 posts, read 36,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Why would any company want to hire you?
Why must I repeat myself? I'm not speaking here how I would speak to someone who's going to give me money.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:28 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,909,649 times
Time will tell ! ! !

Old 12-23-2013, 09:30 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,886,862 times
I can't speak for McDonalds because I've never worked for them, but most large companies in a similar position no longer use paper applications. Those who want a job go to their website and enter information there.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:26 AM

629 posts, read 1,475,370 times
Quote:
From my understanding:

1. Enter building.
2. Ask to speak to manager.
3. Present resume and ask if they're hiring, while pretending to be an energetic robot.

Is this correct? What steps would you add or change?
Nope..as my son did this yesterday. They no longer take paper apps. It goes like this...

1. Log on to your computer.
2. Fill out application for 2.3 hrs.
3. Call the local McD's you want a job within a couple of days to follow up.
4. Cross your fingers that somehow you stand out from the other 500 applicants.

Good luck!

Old 12-24-2013, 07:34 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,877,090 times
Restaurants are not like most companies. They do still use paper applications and the hiring process for service staff and cooks is much less formal.

Forget the resume unless you are applying for management. It is over kill and looks pretentious to those working there, your potential future co-workers. Just walk in and ask for an application. If you go when they are not busy (usually between 2 and 4 pm is good at most restaurants) chances are good they will interview you on the spot ,if they are hiring. This works for pretty much any restaurant except for the really classy high end types.

Show up looking neat and clean but jeans and a polo or sweater is fine as are tennis shoes that are in good condition. Don't show up in business attire or ripped jeans and t-shirt. Depending on your location showing tats and piercings may or may not be a problem. Usually not though.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:14 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,174,250 times
If you are wondering why everyone is being so hard on you, here is the reason. Your use of terms like "wage slave" and "drone" imply that you are not really thrilled about working, but rather are wanting to do it for only the money. Sure, the money is a very important part of why we work, but you also have to have a certain amount of pride and enjoyment in going to work every day...........regardless of if that job is mopping floors or being a Wall Street investor.

I get it that flipping burgers may not be your ideal job, but it is someplace to start. I pumped gas and washed cars for $.80 to $1.00 an hour when I got out of high school, but I tried to do the best job I could. Today, even though I retired twice, I went back to work in retail because I got bored, and try to enjoy every day and make a positive difference for my employer. Because I do work hard and am dependable, I get more hours given to me than a lot of the people I work with.

If you go into McD's with a GENUINE attitude that you really WILL work hard, and WILL be dependable, you will probably get the job and keep it. But if you go in with a phoney face on, just to get the job, they will see through it, or if you do get the job you will be gone very quickly.

Regardless of what job a person has, if they do that one job to the very best of their ability they will be happier and go further than those who lean on the broom and slack off.

Don

Old 12-24-2013, 09:18 AM

8,199 posts, read 6,127,845 times
http://www.reactionface.info/sites/d...7666826226.png

Old 12-24-2013, 09:48 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,877,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Regardless of what job a person has, if they do that one job to the very best of their ability they will be happier and go further than those who lean on the broom and slack off.

Don
I have said this exact thing to so many trainees over the years. For ten years I was just a salad chef in a restaurant. I treated that job as professionally as I treat my current job. I took a lot of pride in doing that job better than anyone else could. Treated every detail like it was the most important thing in the world, even though really any idiot could have done the same thing. I always told people ,don't do it because you want to make the boss happy do it because you owe it to yourself to be the very best you can be at whatever it is you are doing. This is the attitude that got me preferential treatment and better pay and helped me get to where I am now which is a far better place than where I was.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:00 AM

427 posts, read 793,967 times
Quote:
Why must I repeat myself? I'm not speaking here how I would speak to someone who's going to give me money.
You wouldn't be repeating yourself drone. You've never explained why an employer would be attracted to hiring you. But, don't bother. You appear to be just trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search