U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 07:58 PM

132 posts, read 245,883 times

Advertisements

I notice when applying for jobs directly on an employer's website there will sometimes be an option to apply for the position using your LinkedIn profile. It appears you allow the employer to access your LinkedIn profile.

I have never tried applying for a job this way and was wondering if anyone has and if so were you successful in at least getting an interview? I would think and correct me if I am wrong but allowing the employer to access your profile would avoid the hassle in regurgitating your already uploaded resume etc.

Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 08:08 PM

14,011 posts, read 20,317,250 times
Well, given that your LinkedIn profile should be the perfect reflection of you, why not?

Old 12-23-2013, 08:25 PM

170 posts, read 310,394 times
They can access it whether or not you provide them with a link.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:44 PM

4,125 posts, read 4,136,515 times
It is a good function because it does allow you to be notified when a job was looked at and so forth. You also get page views which you can sometimes tell who saw it.Not all employers use it but it depends as to their hiring process.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:49 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,145,587 times
You'll still have to submit a resume, but linkedin is for networkding and job searching, so there is no downside to doing so.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,748 posts, read 54,373,866 times
Unless you have made it private (which defeats the purpose) they can see it anyway. Since the data about you should be the same as your resume, they may be looking for discrepancies, or to see if you might have contacts that worry them, such as with competitors, or contacts that will help them, such as plenty of potential clients for them. I would be more worried about what they might find if they look at your facebook or twitter.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:32 PM

5 posts, read 6,013 times
I realize this thread is really old, but... I was just submitting an online application for a job, and when I looked at the apply via linked in option, one of the items this particular employer was asking for access to in my profile was my MESSAGES.

This may or may not have been the case back in 2013 - but I would be very wary of allowing anyone access to messages - even if you have nothing to hide, like me, it sets a very disturbing precedent, IMO.

Edited to add: Also, there is very little else that comes up on this topic in the search engines, and even on LinkedIn itself, it doesn't seem to be a feature that is widely publicized or discussed!?

Old 04-15-2016, 03:13 PM

798 posts, read 737,124 times
Exclamation Allowing Potential Employers to Access UR LI Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watusi View Post
I notice when applying for jobs directly on an employer's website there will sometimes be an option to apply for the position using your LinkedIn profile. It appears you allow the employer to access your LinkedIn profile.

I have never tried applying for a job this way and was wondering if anyone has and if so were you successful in at least getting an interview? I would think and correct me if I am wrong but allowing the employer to access your profile would avoid the hassle in regurgitating your already uploaded resume etc.

Any thoughts on this?

In addition to what Hemlock and the others have said,

The advantage of having your LI Profile show up right away to an employer is that it gives you an opportunity to show off your uh, Show and Tell.

It is at LinkedIn that you can post your collateral material. Your resume can, at best, make reference to your URL's but your LinkedIn profile has your professional works posted in a very obvious manner.

So rather than thinking about it as an alternative to posting your resume to the ATS, think in terms of having your professional work, affiliations and professional activities on display for employers to see.

Another reason why one's LI profile should be as completely filled with one's professional activity as possible.

If this advice does not fit your situation, I'm sure there are others in the C-D peanut gallery who might benefit from reading what I've said.

(Everyone should assume their LI Profile is going to be looked at once they have applied for a job.)

Paul....

Old 09-27-2016, 09:06 AM

625 posts, read 381,197 times
People put the linkedin link on the resume.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:43 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,175,310 times
Sorry, I don't often react like this, but you must be kidding "It appears you allow the employer to access your LinkedIn profile." What do you think LinkedIn is? Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or