Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 02:57 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times

Advertisements

The problem a lot of young people just out of college is as it always has been, they took a degree where there is no real demand for employees. They studied what they really like, instead of doing a real research to find where there is a demand for employees.

Just because you have a degree does not make you an in demand employee. They might like under water basket weaving and took a degree in that, but I have not heard of any employer looking for them. Under water basket weaving is what my sister in law who was in HR department of major electronics firm in Silicon Valley from where she retired after many years, said her people called worthless degrees. Worthless in finding job openings in their field. Too many young people get worthless degrees as far as finding a job, and think because they have a college degree they should be hired and trained. They went out and trained where there are no jobs, and expect employers to fawn all over them, and be willing to retrain them in another field.

Problem is, there are so many people looking for jobs that are qualified to start without any serious training, so why should the company waste their time even interviewing people with underwater basket weaving degrees, and then having to train them for months and maybe years. They are no better qualified to fill those jobs, than someone that did not go to college, and was anywhere near the top of their high school class.

People with the right degrees, can as this article shows get multiple offers of employment, while those that did not get degrees that lead to immediate multiple offers, may only be able to get a job flipping hamburgers at McDonald's, Burger King, or Wendy's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 03:00 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The problem a lot of young people just out of college is as it always has been, they took a degree where there is no real demand for employees. They studied what they really like, instead of doing a real research to find where there is a demand for employees.

Just because you have a degree does not make you an in demand employee. They might like under water basket weaving and took a degree in that, but I have not heard of any employer looking for them. Under water basket weaving is what my sister in law who was in HR department of major electronics firm in Silicon Valley from where she retired after many years, said her people called worthless degrees. Worthless in finding job openings in their field. Too many young people get worthless degrees as far as finding a job, and think because they have a college degree they should be hired and trained. They went out and trained where there are no jobs, and expect employers to fawn all over them, and be willing to retrain them in another field.

Problem is, there are so many people looking for jobs that are qualified to start without any serious training, so why should the company waste their time even interviewing people with underwater basket weaving degrees, and then having to train them for months and maybe years. They are no better qualified to fill those jobs, than someone that did not go to college, and was anywhere near the top of their high school class.

People with the right degrees, can as this article shows get multiple offers of employment, while those that did not get degrees that lead to immediate multiple offers, may only be able to get a job flipping hamburgers at McDonald's, Burger King, or Wendy's.
As usual, your insights are absolutely bogus, false, and misleading.

First off, nobody takes underwater basket weaving. That's just a stupid mischaracterization of the liberal arts.

Secondly, the statistics say otherwise regarding a college grad's worth (from any background) compared to the same person with only a high school diploma. If an additional four years of extended education in a college setting doesn't set you apart from a high school graduate, then you've clearly wasted your education.

Thirdly, you are not destined for a job flipping hamburgers at McDonald's, Burger King, or Wendy's. There are a ton of examples online of this not being true if you did your due diligence and researched this. Most of the people I work with are making $50k/yr right out of college with degrees in a variety of fields. They had to be trained for internal company systems and policies, but so would you and so would anybody off the street.

Last edited by Tekkie; 12-24-2013 at 03:11 PM..

Old 12-24-2013, 03:02 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,135 times
My daughter had multiple job offers before she graduated with a degree in chemical engineering she accepted a job with a great salary and benefits before she began her last semester. Similar experience for most of her classmates.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:30 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I agree. It's pretty clear that the OP, in starting this thread, was just being condescending to those who are having trouble finding employment. The fundamental meanspiritedness is obvious..
No, I started this thread to bring another side of the story about those who get college degrees. At least twice a week there seems to be a new thread about someone getting all types of degrees and being unemployed or making low wages. As if there is something fundamentally wrong with obtaining higher education because there is no guarantee of employment. I wanted to show that going to college isn't useless for those that choose to go.

I would never be condescending to anyone having a hard time finding employment. It took me over a year to find my current position.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:50 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
You can get a job with any degree, "in demand" or not. I can earn a BA in Sociology looking for a $50k social work job and end up working an insurance company or a paralegal for the same salary. It may not be in the field you studied but work is work. Some degree fields may require more searching than others. A degree makes you more marketable...in most cases.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:22 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No, I started this thread to bring another side of the story about those who get college degrees. At least twice a week there seems to be a new thread about someone getting all types of degrees and being unemployed or making low wages. As if there is something fundamentally wrong with obtaining higher education because there is no guarantee of employment. I wanted to show that going to college isn't useless for those that choose to go.

I would never be condescending to anyone having a hard time finding employment. It took me over a year to find my current position.
This is how I saw your OP as well. Thank you for posting it.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:32 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
I just thought I would post a "news" story about a couple of college graduates. They actually started looking for a work a year before they graduated, did internships and created personal networks of professionals working in diverse industries. Imagine that.

Article: College grads discuss edge to finding work
There was a time when college grads getting a job was not newsworthy.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:47 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
"Problem is, there are so many people looking for jobs that are qualified to start without any serious training, so why should the company waste their time even interviewing people with underwater basket weaving degrees, and then having to train them for months and maybe years. They are no better qualified to fill those jobs, than someone that did not go to college, and was anywhere near the top of their high school class."

Because frankly there are direct correlations with higher education and the ability to learn. Basket weaving isn't a class. Like it or not there's some other issues between the lines that you can tell from a degree that experience doesn't really provide.

If someone is a full time student then chances are they had health care because most states mandate this for students. This has been a policy for decades. If someone just worked full time at a employer there's no real obligation of them to provide you with health information via the hippa laws. You have no clue what they had if any. A lack of health care for one year is one thing...but four

The other issue is that if experience working is valued then they've generally dealt with the same types of people constantly and that isn't good for any organization. With an education it varies because there are electives, minors and sometimes even double majors.

Think about it this way.

Year 2014 say there's a large number of grads

Company xyz does not like them and does not hire them.

BUT Company abc and 123 DO hire them.

Years later companies abc and 123 remember what xyz did and therefore go with xyz competitors and shut them out of the market place. If you think this doesn't happen...it does. Just look at the technology industry. Steve Jobs left Atari and founded Apple. Trip Hawkins left Apple and founded Electronic Arts.

Like it or not government contracting also means that if you contract you must abide by their hiring practices and that includes hiring people with degrees.

What would have happened if Microsoft had hired Sergey Brin and Google never happened?
Sergey Brin ( 7-Jan-1996) Pretty small resume for someone that is worth 16 billion eh?

But google is just some small little project...right?

Research and development was replaced with merger and acquistion. Knowing this frankly if a company does not get anew employees to think and act differently...it dies.

I know of businesses that refused to hire younger people or cater to them and as a result they failed and the company collapsed. It's just the nature of the beast. Don't give a middle finger to Adam Smiths invisible hand otherwise it can slap you.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
There was a time when college grads getting a job was not newsworthy.
It still isn't per se. However the news likes to carry stories of doom and gloom. Then other news people have to counter with the truth and "feel good" stories.

It's amazing how Americans question the usefulness of...education.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
It still isn't per se. However the news likes to carry stories of doom and gloom. Then other news people have to counter with the truth and "feel good" stories.

It's amazing how Americans question the usefulness of...education.
Just look on here, many look down on college whether it is underwater basket weaving, business management, a liberal arts or any non STEM major. Many have an anti college stances as fair or unfair it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search