Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:30 PM

151 posts, read 192,694 times

Advertisements

When the new year rolls around, I like many others will be actively looking for a new position. Like some, I'm also willing to drive a far distance for the right price. With that said, do you think hiring managers or HR look at an applicant’s address when determining who gets interviewed or not? If my skill set listed on my resume speaks and say I’m worthy of interviewing, is there a chance one might say “Ohh, he lives an hour from the office, let’s not interview him.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 11:39 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,539,005 times
In my line of work contact information is not available on th CV. They contact the agent

Old 12-13-2013, 07:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,294,308 times
Yes, when reviewing the resumes I do look at the person's address. We have people that live over an hour away that show up on time every day, so that is not going to eliminate them. If they are 2-3 hours away or out of state they may not get an interview if there are enough locals to pick from, but if there is a statement of a goal to relocate to the area and they are well qualified we might go ahead and give them a chance. Last time I offered an interview to someone 4 hours away she scheduled it but didn't show up, never called or anything. It seems unlikely that someone would relocate to this high cost area for a $25/hour job.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:35 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,002,162 times
I rarely see an address for the people I am interviewing.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:38 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,970,624 times
I do things similarly to Hemlock (I can say that a lot really).

The more a job pays, which is generally related to complexity and experience, the farther away I will consider. A $15/hr job is not going to support high commuting costs, nor be worth relocating for. At that level, we won't pay for relocation either.

A $60k job will allow a person to pay more in commuting expenses, might be worth moving for, and we might pay relocation expenses.

Overall, it depends. If you are a strong candidate against a weak pool, I will interview people from farther away. If I have a strong local pool, I won't.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:58 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,333,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I do things similarly to Hemlock (I can say that a lot really).

The more a job pays, which is generally related to complexity and experience, the farther away I will consider. A $15/hr job is not going to support high commuting costs, nor be worth relocating for. At that level, we won't pay for relocation either.

A $60k job will allow a person to pay more in commuting expenses, might be worth moving for, and we might pay relocation expenses.

Overall, it depends. If you are a strong candidate against a weak pool, I will interview people from farther away. If I have a strong local pool, I won't.
Its not your business how far away they live or how they decide to pay for commuting or relocation costs. I don't see how this is relevant. If they decide they're OK paying these costs then don't worry about it.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:08 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,970,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Its not your business how far away they live or how they decide to pay for commuting or relocation costs. I don't see how this is relevant. If they decide they're OK paying these costs then don't worry about it.
It is my job to conduct an efficient and effective job search. There is a correlation between distance and pay, where people cannot sustain commuting on low levels of pay.

If a person wants to relocate to my area, it is their responsibility to let me know in the cover letter.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:22 AM

3,816 posts, read 9,410,715 times
I've been interviewing for sales positions and have found where I live has gotten me 4-5 interviews so far. Live on the side of the Phoenix metro area that is poised for high growth in the next few years, so I know the lay of the land already. Plus the companies that I am talking to have said that they are having a hard time finding people on my side of town with the right qualifications.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 670,789 times
If by driving far, you just mean an hour or an hour and a half, it may not impact you too much. I know people with commutes like that. Having been on a job search and applying for many out of state positions over the past 11+ months, I can say they most certainly do look at addresses, at least what state and/or metro area you live in. If it doesn't show up on your resume, at some point the online application system asked for your address. That said, if the job is of a high enough level and you are enough of a match, they seem to be open to at least giving you a phone interview (unless the applicant system is set to filter out people based on location).

Old 12-13-2013, 10:40 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,396,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Actually I can say from experience that travel distance to the site correlates directly with: The number of times the employee is late/stuck in traffic thus causing them to miss meetings, the number of times they just ask to work from home, the list goes on. We have a guy in my office who drives us insane because he lives an hour and a half away and is always late due to traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search