U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 07:40 PM

389 posts, read 569,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Had an interview with Buffalo Wild Wings. It was the second interview. Sat down with a nice guy and answered some questions about my restaurant experience. There were 2 other candidates interviewing in the room with us.
All of a sudden, another guy pulls up a seat next to my interviewer and, in a loud voice asks if I can handle a busy kitchen, If I can handle 12 fry baskets at a time. Because the kitchen, he says gets quite busy. As he was saying this in a loud voice, he was demonstrating and making hand movements. I was the only one he raised his voice at in this manner. He didn't raise his voice to any of the other interviewees like this. Everyone in the room stops interviewing and is looking at us. He came off as very arrogant and sort of a jerk. Maybe his morning started badly, I don't know.

Needless to say, I was taken aback. After a second or 2 I answered that I actually like to be super busy at work and would love the opportunity to handle 12 fry baskets at a time.
The guy that was interviewing me first was also somewhat taken aback by this guy shouting at me and recovered after the guy left the table. The interview ended then.

I never had a job interview like this before. Every job interview I ever had, I was more or less comfortable. But this guy made me very uncomfortable.
God, I hope I never ever have to work in the restaurant biz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 07:41 PM

389 posts, read 569,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
He sounds like a moron. How much effort would have it taken for him to introduce himself and say who the hell he is? Rather than just come in, sit down, and start shouting?

OP you handled an awkward situation well. If you're reporting to this moron you might want to think twice about working there.
Agreed.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:06 AM

20,727 posts, read 16,731,423 times
Restaurants/kitchens are notorious for strong personalities, yelling, etc. Maybe he was trying to see how you'd react to that environment. You're going to be working under this guy, so if you are going to be ultra-sensitive to his demeanor and unable to let it roll off your back, maybe you should decline the position.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:53 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,666,661 times
this interview seemed to go very well, actually. the guy that got loud on you was just showing you how it gets sometimes in the kitchen, its a high stress job for a few hours a day on the weekends. he was testing to see if you could handle it and keep on track. many cant and get the boot.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:45 AM

1,968 posts, read 1,885,572 times
It was a test.

Kitchens get really intense during a rush. People get verbally abusive and threaten all sorts of violence in the heat. It can seen deadly serious but it very rarely is. If you get the job you will experience that and worse. They wanted to see what you would do when confronted with something like that.

I remember one really intense shift where I had an ex con treating to "meet me out back" all through the shift. I never blinked. He apologized at the end of the shift. As an expediter I have broken up many fights between cooks and servers and put a person or two up against a wall when they got out of line. An hour later we were still buddies. It just gets kinda nutso sometimes...

Experienced kitchen staff are always gonna vet the new guy to see if he can take the heat. Otherwise it is not worth the time and cost to train you.

If you didn't get flustered that was an excellent interview.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:19 AM

4,140 posts, read 4,158,110 times
Could be worse at least it wasn't electronics

GRAMMOPHONE - Rowan Atkinson - Not The Nine o'Clock News - YouTube

I was at a interview once where about a dozen people were interviewed one after another. Well one actually stormed out after having an argument! Ouch. About a year later I found out the guy that did get the job had his pay cut 18% so I guess it wasn't a total loss.

I'd say the oddest one I went to was at some insurance company for the heck of it. Here's the breakdown of odd stuff.

1) the person that interviewing me had a talk earlier with a receptionist about where to put calls not in cue..basically he wanted to collect unassigned commissions, I've seen that before.

2) As I sat down I saw he was trading stock on his etrade account right beforehand. Nice use of company time

3) He received TWO personal calls about how apparently his daughter bit her lip and she's bleeding

4) He thought I still was using a resume that was years old that I updated the week before (hence why I thought I was called for an interview)

5) As I left I saw a man in his 50's saying "I am so #&$&ing upset right now" he was attempting to sync his ipod to his work computer!

No thanks man...

Old 12-27-2013, 10:53 AM

7,288 posts, read 13,533,623 times
You just found out the reason the position is open.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:07 AM

5,345 posts, read 5,326,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
You just found out the reason the position is open.
Bingo! and repped.

Sound like the interview went ok and what you said was appropriate. Hope you get the job, if it is offered to you, I would do my best to be tactfull but wold really need to find out about the deal with that guy (if he would be your boss?). If it was an act to test you for something, it is no less idiotic nor problematic.

Best of luck.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:04 PM

9,784 posts, read 7,075,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
He sounds like a moron. How much effort would have it taken for him to introduce himself and say who the hell he is? Rather than just come in, sit down, and start shouting?

OP you handled an awkward situation well. If you're reporting to this moron you might want to think twice about working there.
Agreed. I hope the OP gets hired by their competition- for better pay, benefits and working hours.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:56 PM

17,624 posts, read 19,084,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Had an interview with Buffalo Wild Wings. It was the second interview. Sat down with a nice guy and answered some questions about my restaurant experience. There were 2 other candidates interviewing in the room with us.
All of a sudden, another guy pulls up a seat next to my interviewer and, in a loud voice asks if I can handle a busy kitchen, If I can handle 12 fry baskets at a time. Because the kitchen, he says gets quite busy. As he was saying this in a loud voice, he was demonstrating and making hand movements. I was the only one he raised his voice at in this manner. He didn't raise his voice to any of the other interviewees like this. Everyone in the room stops interviewing and is looking at us. He came off as very arrogant and sort of a jerk. Maybe his morning started badly, I don't know.

Needless to say, I was taken aback. After a second or 2 I answered that I actually like to be super busy at work and would love the opportunity to handle 12 fry baskets at a time.
The guy that was interviewing me first was also somewhat taken aback by this guy shouting at me and recovered after the guy left the table. The interview ended then.

I never had a job interview like this before. Every job interview I ever had, I was more or less comfortable. But this guy made me very uncomfortable.
Run. Run as fast as you can away from this job. An employer that has multiple interviews and a panel interview for a fast food job is going to be an unbearable task master (and most likely a complete a--hole)

DO NOT TAKE THAT JOB. The red flags should be flying at full mast in your head about that job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or