U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 01:46 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,958,833 times

Advertisements

I am sorry. I experienced something similar a few months ago. Sometimes it is a blessing in disguise. In my experience, I got the job. It was a terrible experience from the beginning until the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 01:58 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
He sounds like a moron. How much effort would have it taken for him to introduce himself and say who the hell he is? Rather than just come in, sit down, and start shouting?

OP you handled an awkward situation well. If you're reporting to this moron you might want to think twice about working there.
I agree. OP handled it like a champ. I'd heavily consider this guy's actions if they were to offer you a position. Would you be working under him? If so, I'd probably pass on the job. This may have just been his effort to scare you off; perhaps he had another candidate (buddy) in mind.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:00 PM

22,835 posts, read 16,905,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Had an interview with Buffalo Wild Wings. It was the second interview. Sat down with a nice guy and answered some questions about my restaurant experience. There were 2 other candidates interviewing in the room with us.
All of a sudden, another guy pulls up a seat next to my interviewer and, in a loud voice asks if I can handle a busy kitchen, If I can handle 12 fry baskets at a time. Because the kitchen, he says gets quite busy. As he was saying this in a loud voice, he was demonstrating and making hand movements. I was the only one he raised his voice at in this manner. He didn't raise his voice to any of the other interviewees like this. Everyone in the room stops interviewing and is looking at us. He came off as very arrogant and sort of a jerk. Maybe his morning started badly, I don't know.

Needless to say, I was taken aback. After a second or 2 I answered that I actually like to be super busy at work and would love the opportunity to handle 12 fry baskets at a time.
The guy that was interviewing me first was also somewhat taken aback by this guy shouting at me and recovered after the guy left the table. The interview ended then.

I never had a job interview like this before. Every job interview I ever had, I was more or less comfortable. But this guy made me very uncomfortable.
The interviews I've been on where they started out nice, and ended up like the Spanish Inquisition, telling me all of the horrible things I would have to endure and how surely I could not handle them, were the interviews where I got the job.

The reason is, with all of the drama that was put out there, rapid fire, I figured they didn't want me for the job and were trying to slip me up somehow. So I just let my guard down and started answering completely honestly, not hiding any tone in my voice, not looking for just the right words. They shot from the hip, so did I. I figured if I wasn't going to get the job, well, I sure as hell wasn't going to go down like a scolded puppy.

That's exactly what they were looking for, and that's why I got those jobs.

Try to view it as a positive. They could have been testing how you handle stressful situations.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:46 PM

4,986 posts, read 2,675,228 times
You know how you know an interview didnt go well? You don't get the job.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:32 PM

4,651 posts, read 6,503,113 times
Let it go and keep searching. If they hire people like that you may not be happy there.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:30 PM

767 posts, read 514,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
It was a test.

Kitchens get really intense during a rush. People get verbally abusive and threaten all sorts of violence in the heat. It can seen deadly serious but it very rarely is. If you get the job you will experience that and worse. They wanted to see what you would do when confronted with something like that.

I remember one really intense shift where I had an ex con treating to "meet me out back" all through the shift. I never blinked. He apologized at the end of the shift. As an expediter I have broken up many fights between cooks and servers and put a person or two up against a wall when they got out of line. An hour later we were still buddies. It just gets kinda nutso sometimes...

Experienced kitchen staff are always gonna vet the new guy to see if he can take the heat. Otherwise it is not worth the time and cost to train you.
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Yea he may have been testing me to see how I handle it.

On the other hand, I have managed a few busy kitchens before and I never tolerated abusive behaviors from my people and we still did good.

If I'm invited "out back", by a tough guy I'm the type to accept. I don't have any felonies and don't need any. So I will steer clear of this job. In fact I think I'm done applying for restaurant jobs altogether.
Thanks again for weighing in your opinions. It was just the oddest interview.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:55 AM

131 posts, read 179,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Maybe he actually liked you the best and was just testing you to see how you would react.
This^. We used to call it a stress interview. He may testing you to see if you rattle easily.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:37 PM

5,965 posts, read 6,879,195 times
I'm flabbergasted to learn that a chain restaurant like Buffalo Wild Wings actually has multiple interviews, and group interviews at that.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:12 AM

458 posts, read 542,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I'm flabbergasted to learn that a chain restaurant like Buffalo Wild Wings actually has multiple interviews, and group interviews at that.
You haven't seen anything yet until you've lived in Orlando, FL

Old 12-31-2013, 06:05 AM

20,778 posts, read 16,747,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
My brother works at a national auto parts chain, and he had 3 interviews to get through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or