U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 05:16 PM

17 posts, read 34,520 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am wonder if "I say I am in the process of relocating" in the cover letter would put you in a disadvantage position from the pool of candidate?

I am wondering if I should just put the city and state at the resume and submit it as is. That way they'll know that I am a local candidate. And if they ask me about address, I'll just say I m in the process of relocating. Will that work?

Any suggestion or feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 05:26 PM

537 posts, read 995,650 times
I always put my current address and let the company know on my cover letter that I was planning on relocating. I also included the month and year I planned on moving. I was able to find a job in a little over a month. However, this could vary depending on the job you're applying for.

It's better to just be honest. If you're already planning a move, you're probably stressed. Being honest means one less thing to stress about. Also, I'd rather know right away if a company isn't willing to hire me based on my current location.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:28 PM

453 posts, read 519,989 times
Suggestion:

Check out this recent thread on the same topic, and also this one from right around the same time.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:47 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,646,771 times
see above threads

in short just post your current out of state address. this lets the employer know that you are out of state, serious enough about the position to move, and you bring in external experience to the firm. it also shows ambition

Old 12-27-2013, 07:17 AM

533 posts, read 951,045 times
I got a job out of state (about 900 miles away from my hometown) this year. I listed my hometown address on the resume and wrote in the cover letter that I wanted to relocate.

However, the job I got is in the city where I recently graduated from college, so I think that played a role in the hiring decision, because I think they like to hire alumni from my school. I don't know if they would've hired someone with no connection to the city at all.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:24 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,646,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
I got a job out of state (about 900 miles away from my hometown) this year. I listed my hometown address on the resume and wrote in the cover letter that I wanted to relocate.

However, the job I got is in the city where I recently graduated from college, so I think that played a role in the hiring decision, because I think they like to hire alumni from my school. I don't know if they would've hired someone with no connection to the city at all.
almost everyone at he firm i recently joined all received their degress from the same school...talk about inbred, but i guess its what they do prefer...i do not.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
almost everyone at he firm i recently joined all received their degress from the same school...talk about inbred, but i guess its what they do prefer...i do not.
LOL! Well I guess you'd probably describe the company that I work for as "inbred" also then. I honestly don't even notice that almost all of us graduated from the same school because we all graduated at different times and the school was so big that none of us knew each other. The only time I notice is on casual Friday's before a big football game when almost everyone is wearing a team tee shirt.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:50 AM
mcq

336 posts, read 545,781 times
As others said, be honest. Definitely say that you are relocating or in the process of. You may not want to put a date on it if you are waiting to be employed first (others can chime in on that if they want). I'm currently in the process of applying for many out of state positions due to being in a poor area for my field. I don't have a success story at this point, but I do get interviews at a fair rate. You will be at a disadvantage to local applicants. The alternatives are to move first then search (risky and not recommended) or make them think you are local. Should they want you to come in for an interview (perhaps on multiple occasions), the bill is on you entirely.

If they know you aren't local, they may be more willing to do more phone or Skype interviews, or even assist with travel expenses if they are really interested in you.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:04 AM

4,128 posts, read 4,144,593 times
"You will be at a disadvantage to local applicants."

That depends because frankly not all employers want someone local. Local means what exactly? They can show up on time. Well cars work and telecommutting works so the idea that it really matters where people live is moot.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
"You will be at a disadvantage to local applicants."

That depends because frankly not all employers want someone local. Local means what exactly? They can show up on time. Well cars work and telecommutting works so the idea that it really matters where people live is moot.
I think most employers DO want someone local though, just for the ease of hiring. If someone is local they will probably be able to start sooner, the employer won't have to worry about paying for moving, the employer won't have to worry about someone getting homesick and moving BACK to where they came from.

I think if you can find a connection to the areas you're applying, write about it in the cover letter.

For example, if you're in NY but want to move to Tennessee because you grew up there and have family there, I would find a professional way to include that either in your cover letter or phone interviews.

I applied for tons of out of state jobs and whenever I got phone interviews they would always say something like "Oh I see you're from ______, what made you apply to our company because we're located in ______." And HR people always seemed to like when I had a connection like "I spent my childhood there." or "I have a lot of family in that area, and I visit them often and would like to move there myself."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search