U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 05:16 PM

37 posts, read 42,223 times

Advertisements

I'm going to start job hunting in the new year. At my current job, the health premiums went up and my paycheck will take a beating in January. I was going to leave anyway because its time for me to move on, but since I won't be bringing home as much money, I'll be busting my a$$

I'm wondering how and when I should inquire about insurance and other benefits. If I want to ask a recruiter how much did premiums go up, should I wait until the first or second interview, or when I'm offered a position? I've never had to worry about benefits before, because I was just thrilled to have them. But now I need to ask, so I do not know how to properly approach this.

Any advice is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 05:19 PM

533 posts, read 950,212 times
When I was applying for jobs, people on this forum suggested to not ask about benefits until after you receive an offer. I agree with that. When I got my job they filled me in on the details of the benefits after offering me the job - I didn't even have to ask.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:25 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,984,357 times
Wait until you have an offer. There's no need to worry about bennies if they don't even want to hire you. Usually they offer you the benefit information WHEN they make the offer so that you can consider your compensation (salary, bennies, PTO, ect) when making your decision.

If they don't, that's the time to bring it up. Ask if they have any handouts or access to a website regarding benefits - just tell them you want to make an informed decision.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:32 PM

37 posts, read 42,223 times
OK, thanks you two! Hopefully a job will come that offers exactly what I need.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:04 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,966,691 times
We couldn't answer the question if you asked it. There are several plans and the premiums are base on what the employee chooses, so it is really an HR question and not a hiring manager question.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:44 PM

389 posts, read 567,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CielArdent9 View Post
I'm going to start job hunting in the new year. At my current job, the health premiums went up and my paycheck will take a beating in January. I was going to leave anyway because its time for me to move on, but since I won't be bringing home as much money, I'll be busting my a$$

I'm wondering how and when I should inquire about insurance and other benefits. If I want to ask a recruiter how much did premiums go up, should I wait until the first or second interview, or when I'm offered a position? I've never had to worry about benefits before, because I was just thrilled to have them. But now I need to ask, so I do not know how to properly approach this.

Any advice is much appreciated!
Bennies are part of your compensation package, so you're not supposed to ask about them until you've been offered the job.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:36 AM

4,125 posts, read 4,137,432 times
In the private sector I wouldn't ask about them until offered the job.

Having said this though there might be some other ways around it. Learn to use google to search within the domain name of their website. If they are publicly traded there is a possibility that they might have at least some of the plans on their website. I would also argue that you can try to negotiate your pay but negotiating benefits pretty hard.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:44 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,635,471 times
never ask about benefits until after you are offered the job. they will generally let you know the bennies straight away before the interview. if they dont, dont ask.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,762 posts, read 54,390,602 times
I agree, wait until the offer is made. Benefits are often used to help convince you to accept the offer, when they are not willing to do much about increasing the pay they are offering. They will most likely tell you about them at offer time, and you won't even have to ask.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:58 AM

5,339 posts, read 5,296,905 times
As others said, standard process is that the payment package is discussed after the offer is made and benefits are included in the payment packeage.

First things first, get a potential employer to want you. The more they want you, the more negotiation room you have.

Best of luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search