U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 01:40 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,399,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
What kind of questions were on your panel interview? Do you remember?

It was so long ago I can't remember specifics but they weren't anything out of the norm. They are looking for someone who will strictly follow procedures and will not deviate for whatever reason and that's the part where I failed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 04:59 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,275,626 times
I dug up some old notes and the test used in 2005 was CritiCall, maybe it has changed, but it might help you out if you can find more info on it online. Good luck.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:50 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,279,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
Not at all, L2. I focused on what related to the question, which was the test, and not the expectations. For example you state the ability to work on tight deadlines as an example, but not how that might be tested for.

I'm not sure the dispatch in my area is through the police department, but rather contracted through them and separate than say the basic dispatch.
I was never tested on anything like that. One department only required a typing test that had to be taken at a workforce center. Two other departments gave a basic reading, writing, math, and analytical skills test. It shouldn't be something that people have to study for. Both of those departments chose to only interview a certain number of top scorers.

I was chosen to interview at all 3 departments. The department that hired me had an unstructured interview. Before that one, I was interviewed by a department that conducted a structured interview. They asked me questions on things like who would I handle first if I were the only dispatcher on duty. Would I handle a possible officer in trouble or a caller having a heart attack? After doing some research, these questions aren't supposed to have right or wrong answers. They are looking for you to rationalize your choice and stick to it. They will pressure you into changing your decision. I was unsure of some of my answers, so I believe that's why I wasn't hired. For the third department, I didn't go to the interview since I had already been hired by another one.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
As a former 911 operator - skills would probably include excellent listening skills *as well as hearing skills - there is a distinct difference*, ability to comprehend and anticipate what is being said to you/asked of you, excellent typing skills with an extremely low error rate, ability to memorize details quickly - especially numbers and names, ability to remain calm and collected and project that in your voice at all times, provide courteous responses and refrain from assumptions, rudeness, and always try to clarify the situation with the caller to make sure there is a clear understanding of what the actual problem is. Make sure to always follow protocol, know your area well, ask pertinent questions, and learn to anticipate the needs of the caller as well as the responding officer. Basically - you need common sense, honesty, understanding, desire to do a good job, desire to help people and to succeed. The rest can be taught. The hiring process is grueling - for good reason. Just be yourself and don't hold anything back. Good luck.

I passed the written exam , now i have the behavioral assesment , what is this ?

Old 04-07-2015, 07:56 PM

595 posts, read 1,022,525 times
I'm withdrawing my application...I don't know the geography inside and out and my balls and common sense have been exploited a time or two.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,078 times
I am also applying for the same position Police DIspatcher here in San Diego, I have all the experience except taking emergency call, I am a bit anxious because I haven't done anything when it comes to typing Ia m now practicing bec. I need to at least meet the reuirement 40wpm, Im glad that its lower than what others required.
I am not confident when it comes to my other skills and interview makes me feel sick
They said that if you don't use it you lose it, It is very true my typing skills is very poor and my listening skills is bad
Now I just need to train myslef and do a lot of practice
WHat helps i reserching and watching videos/simulation and role playing.
GOOD LUCK to both of us.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:14 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,375,697 times
You may find these links helpful:

https://www.publicsafetytesting.com/...patch-written/

CritiCall 911 Public Safety Dispatcher Pre-Employment Testing

Old 01-20-2017, 02:59 AM

3 posts, read 2,827 times
Im taking the first part of the assessment at a high school. Its 2 hours. What can I expect on the test?

Old 04-10-2017, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 753 times
Smile Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
You're welcome

With math, I think you are likely to face basic common sense, rather than BEDMAS formulas. Off the top of my head, basic reciting of numbers quickly, adding/subtracting (you have 7 officers and 3 districts - based on population, what would be the right amount in each district?), dealing with number logic (case files go 2013-2834982354 or whatever). Have to be honest, I have never done a math test for that job. The math used in the job is listening to numbers, remembering numbers, following logical codes, inputting GPS into Google.

I've always sucked at math but was a good dispatcher. Numbers in this gig are more about rote memory and listening to them, rather than any sort of actual calculations. I really can't recall when I *ever* did a calculation beyond splitting the bill to some takeout at the office, hah!

Hello! I applied for the emergency services dispatcher position here in AZ and i would appreciate any information you can give me. I want this opportunity so bad and i have my written test this week and everyone has told me it's "Basic" But i'm not sure what topics might come up. I was told after this phase 1 is phase 2 which will be the dispatcher test.
THANK YOU!!!!!! <3
Erika

Old 08-26-2017, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 557 times
I just took the telecommunication test for Illinois State Police (Telecommunication Trainee). There is a section on typing (30 net words per minute is the minimum requirement). this means they count off for errors made and divide the total by 5. They asked questions about 911 dispatch audio that was played such as "What is the caller's phone number/ address/" etc. There was a section on English and interpersonal skills, then on how to read a map and give instructions. ps: The Illinois typing test uses double spacing after semicolons and periods. The typing test is 5 minutes long, and is given on old windows keyboards that are somewhat hard to press. You will learn some things from the test as well, such as how vehicle data is inserted into the databases.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by TSTERN; 08-26-2017 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: corrected job title/ spelling/punctuation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search