U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 05:41 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,633,770 times

Advertisements

ive been on many of these. if this is a smaller firm they will likely give you the position (especially since you were already in contact with the vp). if its a larger company and they only used HR to talk to you then its not a for sure thing.

they want to see how you are in person, the job is pretty much yours.

remain confident and be yourself. good luck

me personally...ive had both good and bad experiences, ive passed a handful of job offers, and one was so bad i had to request a return car ride to the airport (from the president of the company no less).

interview them as much as they will be interviewing you. dont take a job just because its a job. good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 06:11 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,993,257 times
This is usually the last step in the process, and is a good sign they are very interested in hiring you. Because of costs, it may just be you or maybe one other person getting flown in for the interview.

Ironically, I did have one company about 3 years ago that I was interviewing with for about 7 months. They paid for me to fly out to interview with them, covered all my food and travel costs, even paid for a hotel suite. (Seriously my room had a jacuzzi....) I thought the interview went well, but I never got an offer. No reason given... I should have began to run away from the job after I took notice we've been interviewing for so long!

All and all though, the experience for me was exciting, and I would look at it like the last step towards getting hired.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:31 PM

4,562 posts, read 4,089,318 times
It depends on the kind of job. In corporate America, it's a good sign that they are flying you out after several weeks of "dating" -- this is the equivalent of bringing you home to meet the parents. Don't be nervous -- but don't get too cocky, either. This is YOUR chance to scope out the work environment, the people you will be working with, and the new community. You should be evaluating them every bit as much as they are evaluating you.

If the job is in academia, there's almost no guarantees. Academia is notorious for flying people in for all-day teaching interviews and then never getting back to the candidate -- or getting back to them months later. It's ulcer-inducing. :-)

Old 12-31-2013, 10:17 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,962,550 times
It my experience it means you are a strong contender, nothing more. We typically fly in the top three candidates, and sometimes no one gets hired. I don't have any idea how the company in question works, so just fly out and do your best. Good luck.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:05 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,867,340 times
I have been on many of these, and while it's definitely a good sign, it's not a guarantee of an impending offer. in most cases the cost to fly you out and spend a night at a hotel, and maybe even a car, is not too bad, maybe $1000. That's a very small amount for making the right hire. If possible, try and see who else they are interviewing. They likely are or have interviewed a couple outside candidates and an inside candidate.

I wouldn't wait to get it scheduled as the old saying "time kills all deals" is true in hiring too. get it scheduled and get it done as soon as possible. Do your homework, be very knowledgeable about the company, the major players and the competition. If its a STEM related job, be prepared for a test of some kind. As others have said, arrive the day before, even if on your dime. make sure you know how to get there. Check the weather for anything that may delay you. I always add the GPS when I am travelling for an interview and just included it on the expense report. Also, if you have a good repoir with the HR person, see what the expected dress is. Sometimes they expect suit, other times they want business casual. Its always good to fit in. Dont forget to breath and swing for the fence.

I will share one short story of a trip i took a couple years ago. i was going to the Midwest through Chicago, right in between two large snowstorms. That slowed down airport operations and so my baggage got separated from me in O'hare. When i finally arrived at my destination it was fairly late and i had that sinking feeling when you are the last one standing at an empty baggage carousel. By that time only one baggage handler was left at the gate. he helped me file a form and also informed me that there were no more flights that evening. he further explained that the next days flights had already been cancelled in advance of the next storm. So I had nothing for my interview in the morning. I left into the cold without even a coat and went to the closest 24 hour department store, a Meyers i think. This wasn't the fashion center i would have been used too, but i made the best and dropped about $150 buying everything from shoes to a tie and underwear. Thinking I was ready i went to sleep only to wake up to an early snow storm and many roads closed. Being used to winter driving i took off anyway and i did make it, but what a drive in an unfamiliar car on unplowed and unfamiliar back roads. I ended up not getting the job, but did get a great story of perseverance on an interview. I also had to stay two more nights as the airport was closed, but teh company was very good in accommodating me. Be prepared for anything and don't panic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or