U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2014, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Florida
4,103 posts, read 4,301,360 times
Reputation: 10056

Advertisements

This sounds like the kind of thinking that could lead down a dark path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2014, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,548 posts, read 15,907,165 times
Reputation: 9943
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
This sounds like the kind of thinking that could lead down a dark path.
Some would say that we have already gone down said path with the people who cannot find jobs for a year or so and that they are unhirable (even though they have applied to anything and has been ruled over-qualified or under-qualified.

I was down with finding a job (along with having a bad break-up) about a year ago. It's not easy at all. I am doing better now and trying to find work in a local school district but looking for jobs with a VERY long interview process. I've applied for many instructional aide positions as early as November and they still are unfilled whether I interviewed with them already or not. Compare this to school aide and attendance recorder which were filled the week of the interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2014, 01:19 PM
 
95 posts, read 206,424 times
Reputation: 218
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2014, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee Ex-ex-ex-urbs
358 posts, read 417,582 times
Reputation: 725
So you found out that employers are looking for people with useful skills and you aren't impressing them.

Surprise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2014, 03:32 PM
 
9,528 posts, read 14,923,565 times
Reputation: 9775
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
You don't want to turn from abused to abuser and perpetuate the cycle of abuse.
Well, if the choice is between perpetuating the cycle and breaking it by becoming a kicked puppy corpse in the sewer, I guess the cycle it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2014, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Hampton Roads
3,032 posts, read 3,812,841 times
Reputation: 4401
All of your posts sound exactly the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2014, 04:14 PM
 
473 posts, read 648,252 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
All of your posts sound exactly the same.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2014, 04:26 PM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
6,248 posts, read 5,262,342 times
Reputation: 6909
This is the same mental phenomenon that allows so many negative aspects of life to prosper.
You have the chance to help stop this one. Instead of making more people miserable do something to help instead.
I'm not happy at all about the job situation. I'm unemployed. I'm fully aware of all the variables that are causing it. I have no intentions of making it worse. I'm working on opening my own business. I won't be such a shallow douchebag when it comes to hiring. I won't be the minimum wage slave driver. I'll pay my employees as much as I can.
The last business I ran, ALL of my employees were happy. They were making at least 2 bucks an hour more over similar jobs. After it went under (Wasn't my business, I was gm. The owner embezzled a lot of money out of the company)
I went to work somewhere else. I made crap pay, was treated like crap, but still didn't make me want to do the same to others. Hurting innocent people in any way is wrong.
Hurting guilty people disproportionally is just as wrong.
You might want to seek some help. I may have some revenge thoughts, but I write them down, and they go away.

Not 10 minutes ago I was super pissed at this woman. She responded to my craigslist ad. I'm offering my truck to help people move things for a small fee. We agreed to meet at a set time today. I went there and waited, and waited. She told me she didn't have a car this morning when we arranged everything. Well, finally she gets a hold of me. She tells me she will be back in a couple minutes, and that she left her phone in her car. I still gave her the benefit of the doubt and waited some more. After 20 minutes I texted her this
"Thanks for wasting my time, and more importantly, my gasoline. I'm unemployed so I can't buy more.
We agreed to meet at 2pm tooday. Don't make arrangements if you're not going to f%(*@$g be there.
F%(k you. I hope you're evicted from your new place post haste."

I wanted to punch her in the face for wasting money I don't have. But just writing that made me feel fine. I'm done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2014, 06:46 PM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,780 posts, read 9,105,954 times
Reputation: 11259
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
I have never had my self-esteem crushed as much as I have with job searching in the past 10 months. Denial after denial has given me massive feelings of inferiority. The world of good careers feels like some exclusive club that I have been denied from. I feel that I'm not smart enough, not good looking enough, not worth anything to society.

As a result, I've become increasingly motivated to succeed. I feel that I need to prove my worth to the world. I am confident that I will some day get into this club that has rejected me thus far. When I do, I think that my deep-seeded feelings of inferiority that have been planted by job searching will manifest themselves in radical ways.

I can see myself developing an arrogant stride, flaunting my position of power, looking down on people who aren't as successful as me. I will get an ego boost from being on the opposite side of the table in an interview, get a big thrill from denying the desperate job seekers who are trying to kiss my ass. I will get ahead the same way that everyone else does: by knowing how to say the right things at the right time to the right people. It's really just one big game. The system does not reward honesty.

This is going to a big change in my psychology. Does it sound weird to you? I don't think it is. I see most people as motivated by an underlying need to prove themselves to the world.
You sound like a sociopath. Get some help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2014, 07:02 PM
 
1,923 posts, read 2,078,998 times
Reputation: 1818
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
This is the same mental phenomenon that allows so many negative aspects of life to prosper.
You have the chance to help stop this one. Instead of making more people miserable do something to help instead.
I'm not happy at all about the job situation. I'm unemployed. I'm fully aware of all the variables that are causing it. I have no intentions of making it worse. I'm working on opening my own business. I won't be such a shallow douchebag when it comes to hiring. I won't be the minimum wage slave driver. I'll pay my employees as much as I can.
The last business I ran, ALL of my employees were happy. They were making at least 2 bucks an hour more over similar jobs. After it went under (Wasn't my business, I was gm. The owner embezzled a lot of money out of the company)
I went to work somewhere else. I made crap pay, was treated like crap, but still didn't make me want to do the same to others. Hurting innocent people in any way is wrong.
Hurting guilty people disproportionally is just as wrong.
You might want to seek some help. I may have some revenge thoughts, but I write them down, and they go away.

Not 10 minutes ago I was super pissed at this woman. She responded to my craigslist ad. I'm offering my truck to help people move things for a small fee. We agreed to meet at a set time today. I went there and waited, and waited. She told me she didn't have a car this morning when we arranged everything. Well, finally she gets a hold of me. She tells me she will be back in a couple minutes, and that she left her phone in her car. I still gave her the benefit of the doubt and waited some more. After 20 minutes I texted her this
"Thanks for wasting my time, and more importantly, my gasoline. I'm unemployed so I can't buy more.
We agreed to meet at 2pm tooday. Don't make arrangements if you're not going to f%(*@$g be there.
F%(k you. I hope you're evicted from your new place post haste."

I wanted to punch her in the face for wasting money I don't have. But just writing that made me feel fine. I'm done with it.
I've been through that plenty of times when trying to buy or sell items on craigslist. It does give a clear snapshot of our society, and if it's anything like that in the real world we're screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top