U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:55 PM

16,797 posts, read 14,527,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
It's increasingly motivating me to get a job
So the reason you haven't been able to get a job in a year is simply a lack of motivation?

Not because you are 8 kinds of crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 08:07 PM

12 posts, read 12,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I've been talking about this to my parents. It's gone beyond just the economy or getting a job, it's like a personal thing. Not being able to find work has worn me down psychologically. It's like teasing a dog or lion with a piece of steak. Keep teasing it and when you put your hand in the cage he's gonna bite your hand off. Joe Carbone from PTE mentioned it on PBS. Long term unemployment damages your mind.
The hate is manifesting! Who do you blame it on? Illegal Mexican immigrants? H1B Indians? Corrupt and self serving politicians and the government? Greedy and exploitative corporations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
I have never had my self-esteem crushed as much as I have with job searching in the past 10 months. Denial after denial has given me massive feelings of inferiority. The world of good careers feels like some exclusive club that I have been denied from. I feel that I'm not smart enough, not good looking enough, not worth anything to society.

As a result, I've become increasingly motivated to succeed. I feel that I need to prove my worth to the world. I am confident that I will some day get into this club that has rejected me thus far. When I do, I think that my deep-seeded feelings of inferiority that have been planted by job searching will manifest themselves in radical ways.

I can see myself developing an arrogant stride, flaunting my position of power, looking down on people who aren't as successful as me. I will get an ego boost from being on the opposite side of the table in an interview, get a big thrill from denying the desperate job seekers who are trying to kiss my ass. I will get ahead the same way that everyone else does: by knowing how to say the right things at the right time to the right people. It's really just one big game. The system does not reward honesty.

This is going to a big change in my psychology. Does it sound weird to you? I don't think it is. I see most people as motivated by an underlying need to prove themselves to the world.
How much longer can you hold out? What happens if you don't ever find a job? How else will your hate and psychopathy manifest and develop?

Old 01-01-2014, 08:16 PM

10,075 posts, read 14,007,151 times
Hmm, troll or not? Hmm, going with troll post. Slow days on CD bring out the worst.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:42 PM

5,509 posts, read 6,124,485 times
Post #17 is the best post of the day!

Old 01-01-2014, 10:56 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,044,183 times
Well, you can help people and many will still think youre just bragging and putting people down.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:25 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,069,262 times
Mostly on employers screwing around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search