Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 10:51 AM

68 posts, read 124,441 times

Advertisements

Hello there, first post, and I apologize if it's a long one.

To not get in the gross details, my job at this company was on a part-time, as-needed basis, and I knew going into winter that work would slow down, so I felt it was in my best interest to seek another part-time job in my field to make up hours. I wound up getting an interview and scheduled it for a day I knew I would not have to be on-property.

The NIGHT before my interview (and I mean night as in after normal business hours) my boss calls me saying there's been an emergency with another property manager and asked if I could cover. I first simply said "I'm sorry but I can't". The previous time he asked me to work extra and I said I couldn't he was okay with it, but this time was different. He got very agitated and started pressing me. He then asked me if it was because I had another job I had to be at. I panicked and said "Well...yes, I have an interview, but I assure you I am not leaving the company and I apologize again for not being able to cover." I could not reschedule because the person who I would be interviewing with was probably already in bed, and I didn't know whether the number he called me was an office phone or a personal cell phone. My boss simply said he'd discuss the matter with HR in the morning and hung up.

About a week later I got an email from my boss recapping what happened and that if I wanted to discuss further my involvement with the company I was to contact him within the next day (mind you, I had not worked in the meantime if that tells you how slow business is). Another troubling thing was in this email my boss nit-picked little things I was doing wrong about my job and that he was overall disappointed in my performance, down to the fact I did not answer my phone one time when a co-worker called. It's one thing to be disappointed in me, fine, I'll own up to it, but to call me out because one time I did not answer my phone to me is asinine. At that point I was really beginning to think this guy was just out to get me. (And yes, I did return the co-worker's call a short time afterwards).

Luckily though, I kicked ass at my interview, and I'm led to believe I'll get hired, but with the Thanksgiving holiday that may be delayed a bit. However I still have the worst case scenario to think of: What if I don't get hired? That means I'll be in the same place I was four months ago -- one of the many unemployed college graduates.

Before posting, I did a little research and it seems simply interviewing elsewhere is not necessarily grounds for dismissal, but places will do it. I did not see that interviewing elsewhere is grounds for dismissal in my employee handbook. I'm not really looking to get back at anyone. Honestly the job was not a great fit for me, I didn't have a great relationship with my boss and I might not have made it past my probationary period (but being my worst critic I've thought that about every job I've worked at). I just think he took extreme measures because I could not work at the moment's notice.

Thoughts?

Last edited by HayesRidgeway; 11-29-2013 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 10:57 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
There doesn't have to be "grounds for dismissal" documented for you to get terminated.
This is why it's not wise to let on that you are interviewing -- job seeking 101.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:01 AM

533 posts, read 1,112,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
There doesn't have to be "grounds for dismissal" documented for you to get terminated.
This is why it's not wise to let on that you are interviewing -- job seeking 101.
Yeah, I've been doing a lot of reading lately, aren't most employers "at will" meaning that they don't necessarily need any reason to fire someone?

Personally, if I was in your situation, I wouldn't have said anything about the interview to your boss. To be honest, I probably would've lied and said something about a doctors appointment or a personal emergency.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:01 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I assume you are an at will employee, so that means anything and nothing is grounds for dismissal.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:03 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
The key is to never let your current employer know that you are interviewing or even looking for another job. They get upset at that.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
Yeah, I've been doing a lot of reading lately, aren't most employers "at will" meaning that they don't necessarily need any reason to fire someone?

Personally, if I was in your situation, I wouldn't have said anything about the interview to your boss. To be honest, I probably would've lied and said something about a doctors appointment or a personal emergency.
I agree, and I thought why did I not say something to that effect later, but I was honestly panicking because it was not in his nature to get upset like that. Yes I am an at will employee and I know the risks of being one.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:12 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
At any rate, I don't think you want to work for an employer that gets miffed when a PART-TIME employee is searching for employment elsewhere.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
At any rate, I don't think you want to work for an employer that gets miffed when a PART-TIME employee is searching for employment elsewhere.
Thank you. I thought it was silly that me as a part-time employee seeking another part-time position sent him into that big of a tizzy. And like I said, I had no plans on leaving them. But in my short time in the work force I've already had bosses at part-time retail positions that acted like all us PTers when we weren't there sat around waiting for them to call us in, and when we couldn't come because (gasp) we had other jobs or life things, the bosses got pissed.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
OP, your job was part-time and on an "as needed" basis. They decided you aren't needed anymore.

I know it sucks to be fired, but I don't see the problem. It happens.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
OP, your job was part-time and on an "as needed" basis. They decided you aren't needed anymore.
As needed as in there may be times I get zero work only to be making overtime a week later. I had no set amount of hours or a set schedule. But I understand your definition of it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search