U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 05:54 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,991,821 times

Advertisements

I also always ask "When will you make your decision and how long would it take to hear if I were to obtain the position?"

That way I'm not sitting around wondering if I got the job, if they say one week to hear anything, I give them at least 2, if there is a holiday during that time, I add an additional week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 06:09 PM

163 posts, read 182,584 times
Anymore questions to ask please?

Old 01-01-2014, 07:42 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,986,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
usually they will tell you these things during the interview.

asking questions can come back to bite one in the ass. if you ask questions they already discussed that may not sit well with the interviewers, nobody wants to explain the basic job duties/details twice.
Good Lord. Obviously you don't ask a question if it has already been covered. If at the end of an interview you can't think of one relevant thing to ask me I don't need you working for me.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:47 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,643,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Good Lord. Obviously you don't ask a question if it has already been covered. If at the end of an interview you can't think of one relevant thing to ask me I don't need you working for me.
Seems like a sure way to lose potential employees. Oh well, your loss.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:50 PM

269 posts, read 301,052 times
Quote:
usually they will tell you these things during the interview.

asking questions can come back to bite one in the ass. if you ask questions they already discussed that may not sit well with the interviewers, nobody wants to explain the basic job duties/details twice.
That's why you listen and pay attention during the interview, which you should be doing anyway

Not asking questions will make you look as though you are not interested in the job, and it really does matter. They want someone enthusiastic and who really wants to work for them.

I too make a list of questions to ask beforehand, written on a notepad.

I sometimes ask about the experience level of the people that I'll be working with. Or what the typical learning curve is. Or what tools they use for particular things e.g. source control (I'm a software developer).

Old 01-01-2014, 09:22 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,986,698 times
Quote:
Seems like a sure way to lose potential employees. Oh well, your loss.
No, it is not.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:49 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,358,501 times
You should ask what you want to know! In absence of anything else, consider:

"What is the biggest challenge for the person coming in to this role?"

"What can a new employee anticipate for training and onboarding?"

"What is the career path for this position?"

"What is the biggest challenge your department is facing for this upcoming year?"

Old 01-02-2014, 06:36 AM

3,245 posts, read 5,279,416 times
Also, it wouldn't hurt to have one strong question to ask the demonstrates that you've researched the company. It conveys that you're serious about wanting to work there and that you know how to prepare for business situations.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:13 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,682,700 times
Quote:
you dont have to ask anything, you can simply state that you learned alot about the company and the job culture and that you were extremely honored to interview with them.
Not a good idea, by not asking any questions it could be perceived that you weren't paying attention or don't have a real interest in the position.

This also gives you the opportunity to ask when a hiring decision will be made, so you have an idea of the timeframe as to when and if you will hear back from them.

But you always ask a couple of questions.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:29 PM

163 posts, read 182,584 times
Great questions, Yellowbelle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search