Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:30 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

I'm not in HR, but I have sat and interviewed people for job positions in my dept.

Questions I've been asked pertained to the company as a whole. It's history, markets, etc. Some candidates did some background research on the company and asked a few questions on specific things, like a merger, or facility relocation or something like that.

I have been asked once if I enjoyed working here. I would not ask that question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 01:15 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,393 times
Conventional wisdom is that you should always ask questions at the end. The problem is, if you've been engaged during the interview you have probably already asked all of the questions you had prepared.

If this happens, consider summarizing the questions (and answers) you felt were most important. Or ask them to elaborate on previous answers. This shows that you are leaving with a positive feeling about the company.

In any case, the response to "Do you have any questions?" should never be a simple "No"!

Old 01-02-2014, 01:41 PM

56 posts, read 69,972 times
I usually ask " What is one thing I can accomplish for you that would make the most impact on the team/company?v

Shows you are a team player and that you want to start contributing to the company.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:21 PM

206 posts, read 404,453 times
"What would you want to be accomplished in the first 90 days?"

"What keeps you up at night?"

"Is there anything else you'd like to know about me?"

Old 01-02-2014, 04:56 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
bad advice? please elaborate

just because you have a differing opinion does not make my opinion "bad"
It is bad advice, but Smooth's advice isn't any better.

One of the things I learned at a job hunting class was to always clear any doubts at the end of the interview by asking questions. We always asked "Are there any concerns that would prevent me from being hired?"

You may go through a 40 minute interview and be nearly perfect except for one little thing. When you find out what it is, you can work it out.

It's a classic technique that allows you to address their concerns.

Our class had a pretty high success rate with job hunting. Out of over 100 students, we averaged a 40% pay increase within 6 months.

How has it worked for me? I was making $12/hr and interviewed for a position for $40k. The recruiter said the hiring manager was very impressed with my interview. The hiring manager was offering $50k to start. I was absolutely shocked. I didn't do any salary negotiation, and this manager wanted to double my salary.

I went job hunting again, 2 years ago. I had 2 interviews lined up and passed both easily. I was offered $12.5k raise and a $20k raise.

If 100 people can increase their salary by 40% with a few resume and interview tips, it must be effective.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:20 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
"When can I start?"

Old 01-03-2014, 12:31 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Not asking anything makes you seem uninterested or disengaged. You should come to the interview prepared with questions. If your questions were answered during the interview, state that. If not, ask them. In either case close the interview with a question like move4ward suggested:

"Based on our discussions today, are there any concerns I can address for you regarding my ability to perform in this role?" or similar wording.

I was taught that years ago by a friend who now owns his own recruiting firm in NYC. It's a ballsy question that is tough to ask but it has proven very valuable to me over the years. Try to work it in at the end even if they don't invite questions. I don't think I've ever had a candidate ask me that question. It will make you stand out, and if you're good at reading people's reactions you can get a good read on where you stand.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:31 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
You don't have a sexual harrassment policy do you?

Old 01-03-2014, 04:27 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Not asking anything makes you seem uninterested or disengaged. You should come to the interview prepared with questions. If your questions were answered during the interview, state that. If not, ask them. In either case close the interview with a question like move4ward suggested:

"Based on our discussions today, are there any concerns I can address for you regarding my ability to perform in this role?" or similar wording.

I was taught that years ago by a friend who now owns his own recruiting firm in NYC. It's a ballsy question that is tough to ask but it has proven very valuable to me over the years. Try to work it in at the end even if they don't invite questions. I don't think I've ever had a candidate ask me that question. It will make you stand out, and if you're good at reading people's reactions you can get a good read on where you stand.
John's version is better than what I wrote. It's been a few years, since I took that class. You always want to clear up any misconceptions before you leave. Practice saying it with poise. If you say it nervously, it can make you look unsure of your own abilities to perform the job.

When we practiced this technique in class, we did speed interviews. We switched partners every 12 minutes and interviewed with a new person. After 2 hours, you would have completed 10 practice interviews. It comes off as second nature. Each interviewer would have a different concern.

You must address those lingering concerns, before you walk out.

Rehearse Rehearse Rehearse!

When you start getting job offers, you will be amazed. Best wishes.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:34 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettygreeneyes View Post
At the end of an interview, when you are asked, "Do you have any questions for us?" What do you ask?
I know what not to ask, but what do I ask?

Help.

Ask about the job, and day to day responsibilities. The common one I ask is "so what are some of the major issues you encounter".

Try to make an interview more like a discussion about the job, and not just some Q&A session. I think if you can carry on a conversation about the things you'll be working with, it shows to a large degree to the employer that you're comfortable and familiar with the type of work you'll be doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search