U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:46 PM

701 posts, read 929,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post

Every day spend no more than 4 hours applying for positions. Keep track of the companies you apply for and follow-up promptly.
This is such a great rule! I am definitely adopting it myself. Over 4 hours a day, it seems, is counterproductive and just causes one to dwell too much on ones situation. Now, when the daily four hours is up, I just make a note of where I left off and go outside for a run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 08:31 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,008,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Working a string of temporary and contract jobs beats the hell out of constantly searching for work and getting nothing. Some unemployed spend about every waking hour searching, networking and so forth. Very depressing.
Yea, I am extremely thankful for what I've been able to get. I really don't know what I would have done if I couldn't find these temp jobs even if they are pretty crappy and leave me hanging at the end. That being said, these temp jobs come with their own slew of problems and many of the same issues of job hunting like hopelessness, anxiety, inferiority, etc. Just some of the big problems I've had with the temp jobs are:

- Having to relocate for work. In the last 4 years I've moved 4 times, and lived in 3 different states... Moving is tough, and gets harder as the years go by. I was excited for the first move, but not the next 3....

- Sense of not belonging to the team. You're an outsider, no one cares to get to know you because they know you're temporary. Hard to socialize and build friendships. You are treated as invisible even when you try to be as involved as you can.

- Leaving everything behind. When the temp job ends, your life gets turned upside down a bit. That company you began to know and possibly enjoy is gone. Any friends or good coworkers are gone, especially in my case because I had to relocate for new work. It's a bummer.

- No benefits. I haven't taken a sick day EVER. Well one day my boss sent my home because I must have looked terrible, but point is, I can't AFFORD a sick day. Miss a day of work and I don't get paid. I don't have health care and private health care is horrible and expensive. I haven't taken a vacation, because yea, no time to do it unless I want to skip out on a week or two of pay. Holidays are also terrible periods because the company is closed but you don't get paid! Somewhat minor, but you also aren't eligible for certain perks other employees are eligible for like discounts, free company merchandise or discounts, employee days out, etc.

- Stressing about what happens after your contract ends. Will it be extended, or will I get laid off. What am I going to do? It's a terrible thing to think about, your fate is in the hands of the company and all you can do is prepare for getting laid off and that's terrible to think about.

That's just a few of the big issues I've had with temp work, but you're still right I'm very fortunate to have had these opportunities. It's still a very painful and horrible experience regardless, no matter if you're long term unemployed or just stringing together small jobs here and there.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:42 AM

1,545 posts, read 2,076,931 times
I get you OP, yes a temp job is better than nothing but it is far from that secure feeling that a "real" job gives. At the very least you are making money and you are building your résumé for any type of unemployment gap no matter how justified is bloody death on the résumé.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 761 times
[url=http://enviralize.me/halestorm-freak-like-me/?ref=PlYywo]» Halestorm: Freak Like Me![/url]

Legit At home job. 2014 start this year right.!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 PM

771 posts, read 516,172 times
I'd say I've reached the point of being consumed. I do go to the gym 3 maybe 4 times a week.

But I don't watch tv anymore. I'm constanttly checking Craigslist or Indeed.com for openings.
I find myself apologizing to my wife that it's taking so long for someone to hire me. And also thanking her for her patience and understanding.
I feel just a little better since a few days ago I finally got something from CA EDD and can now go food shopping. I'm doing more repairs around the house. Painting some rooms and such.
It's really hard to keep from caving in on myself emotionally and mentally. I know my financial help is needed. I send out resumes or apply somewhere or online apps every day. Someone just frickin' hire me already! This is so maddening.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:11 PM

1,545 posts, read 2,076,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
I'd say I've reached the point of being consumed. I do go to the gym 3 maybe 4 times a week.

But I don't watch tv anymore. I'm constanttly checking Craigslist or Indeed.com for openings.
I find myself apologizing to my wife that it's taking so long for someone to hire me. And also thanking her for her patience and understanding.
I feel just a little better since a few days ago I finally got something from CA EDD and can now go food shopping. I'm doing more repairs around the house. Painting some rooms and such.
It's really hard to keep from caving in on myself emotionally and mentally. I know my financial help is needed. I send out resumes or apply somewhere or online apps every day. Someone just frickin' hire me already! This is so maddening.
Don't let the madness, depression get to you. You have to find someway to balance, maybe job hunt for a certain number of hours a day then do something else unrelated to the job hunt, go out, gym, something to take your mind off the hunt for a bit. It starts to get to get to you if the whole day is finding a job

Old 02-04-2014, 12:59 AM

33 posts, read 33,964 times
I think sometimes there can be a stigma associated with not having a job. I.e., people can think you must be doing something wrong, or not doing enough, or even worse, you plain don't want to work. That can leave you feeling like you have a mark on your head, particularly when people keep asking you about your situation and offering unsolicited advice.

The thing is, how much control do you really have? Is there always that one extra mile you can go, that if you did your situation would drastically change? Did you miss some glaring signpost somewhere? The ambiguity here can make it difficult to ever feel like you really are doing all that you can.

I think we simply live in a different world today, one that even the previous generation did not have to experience. The economic landscape has shifted, we have more technology, and the old ways of getting a job and making a living simply don't work anymore, unless of course you happen to have a skill that is highly sought after. Rather than spam out resumes (most of which end up in black holes anyway), my feeling is that the best thing to do is to *keep reaching out to people*, particularly in your field. Attend networking events that have to do with things you are interested in.

For instance, I am a huge foreign language and international affairs enthusiast, so I attend any and all events I can that have to do with this subject. I get to practice speaking other languages with a variety of people. I also am a musician and have some outlets to share my playing with other people.

Why do this? Because the landscape has become very impersonal. How many times have you called some organization asking for information about anything and heard them say, "Go to our website, go to our website." Likewise I suspect in many cases when you send a company a resume, it will probably sit in a database with 500 others, 400 of which are perfectly qualified. The HR person just does not have the time to go through them all. The thing is you do not get much of a chance to connect with people by simply emailing them a resume. Face-to-face interaction, and especially referrals, can make a difference. Aside from that, I have found that doing this can help me get out of my bubble and socialize with like-minded people anyway, even if job leads are slow in coming.

Also if you diversify your interests, you can of course reach out to even more groups of people.

I think by doing this you can incorporate "job hunting" with "having a life." As the saying goes, don't push the wall over, walk around it instead. Just my perspective!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or