U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,916 times

Advertisements

Erick Molina Castillo
Address (street, city, state, zip code), telephone number, Email address
My career objectives after high school are:
 Further my education in auto collision
 Obtain a position in the field of collision repair
 Later on in life have my own auto collision shop
Work experiences I have are:
 Helping a friend’s dad in a body shop called
o Shop changing tires
o Cleaning up
o Cleaning spray guns

My skills I have in Auto collision repair:
 Welding
 Masking
 Metal straightening, metal cutting
 Shaping Filler
 Body work
 Using a spray gun
 Translating (English to Spanish)
 Art/drawing

Achievements I have are:
 Finish-master 6H spray gun certified
 Boxing tournament trophy
Education:
 Kent Career Technical Center
 West Michigan Center for Arts and Technology

References:
 Name
• City, state, zip code
• Street, house number
• Telephone number
• Email address

Same for reference 2, 3, 4...

it looks better in microsoft word.

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-04-2014 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: Personal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 04:06 PM

11,126 posts, read 8,534,553 times
Are you looking for entry level auto/mechanic work?

Suggestions:
1. Use standard resume headings: Professional Experience, Education, Certifications, Technical Skills, etc.
2. Consider removing the Objectives section. Although, since you are entry level, it may bulk out your resume a bit.
3. Organize your job experience using a standard chronological format
4. Integrate the achievements into the Professional Experience section
5. Under Education, include the name of the degree, diploma, or certificate you received. If you didn't get any of those, list one or two of the most important, applicable class titles. "Classes included..."
6. Remove the References section
7. Under skills, remove the art/drawing. Other make is sound applicable to auto/mechanic work like drawing diagrams or engine schematics or something like that.

Sample mechanics resume: Automotive Mechanic Resume Example - Sample

Old 01-04-2014, 04:32 PM

5,532 posts, read 5,974,979 times
What do you mean by "missing"?
First, you need to specify exactly what you want/wish/hope to achieve by sending your resume. What impression you want to make and for what position? (The resume needs to be tailored precisely).

Old 01-04-2014, 05:13 PM

12,675 posts, read 14,010,282 times
Just me... I never write in 1st person on my resume. That is to say, I never use "I".

Not sure who your references are, but a teacher would be a great reference to list.

As for your skills, since your resume does appear lacking in some regard, fill some space by elaborating on your skills. What kind of welding have you done? How much time have you spent practicing? What kind of vehicles do you have experience working on? Anyone can list random skills. Show the reader that you know a little something about these skills.

Remove the "later on in life I'd like my own shop" bit. They don't need to know about this. Nobody wants to train their future competition. Besides, it's not grammatically correct. Try to consolidate those other objectives into one sentence. Make sure they are grammatically correct. Just because you're not taking the college track, it doesn't mean you shouldn't display a little literary competency.

Instead of stating that you can translate English to Spanish, maybe you can simplify this by stating that you are bilingual.

Once again... Grammar. If you're resume appears choppy, or awkward to read, that will have an impact on the final decision made by the reader. Since you don't have the experience or track record of success, this is going to have a greater impact when compared with a worker with experience.

List some dates, and the locations of your schools. List the date of your previous job helping in the shop. They don't need to know that it was your friend's dad's shop. Just state that you worked as a helper when you attended school or something. Explain why you no longer work there. List more skills learned in that environment. I find it hard to believe that those 3 tasks where the only things you did there, and so will the reader.

Just me... I wouldn't list my name all across the internet like that.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:22 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,466,629 times
Never list your references. Just save it as a separate sheet and provide it, only if you obtain an interview. If it is requested at the interview, the reference sheet can be provided.

I have always been taught to carefully manage the relationship with my references. If they get tired of the calls, they will stop answering their phone. They will never tell you. I am respectful of their time and appreciate their help.

Is English your 2nd language? You may want some help with spelling and grammar.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:31 PM

20,203 posts, read 12,113,035 times
looks like a grocery list,,, Need more details please\
taken off google-- see example and add to that

Body Repairer with huge experience in straightening bent bodies, removing dents, and replacing crumpled parts.

More than five years experience.
Strong knowledge of the standard practices, processes,materials, tools, and equipment used in repairing and refinishing automotive bodies.
Sound knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:35 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,535,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickmolina02 View Post
Erick Molina Castillo
My career objectives after high school are: I would just put "Objective" and then cut the 1st and 3rd one
 Further my education in auto collision cut
 Obtain a position in the field of collision repair perfect
 Later on in life have my own auto collision shop irrelevant
Work experiences I have are: Shorten this to "Experience"
 Helping a friend’s dad in a body shop called "assisted in X body shop" (don't mention the friend's dad bit)
o Shop changing tires
o Cleaning up
o Cleaning spray guns

My skills I have in Auto collision repair: these are all good
 Welding
 Masking
 Metal straightening, metal cutting
 Shaping Filler
 Body work
 Using a spray gun Is there a more impressive way to say this one?
 Translating (English to Spanish) call this "Bilingual" and put (English/Spanish) in parenthesis
 Art/drawing

Achievements I have are: Combine these two and call them "Education/Certifications"
 Finish-master 6H spray gun certified important
 Boxing tournament trophy not relevant to the position
Education:
 Kent Career Technical Center yes
 West Michigan Center for Arts and Technology yes

References:
 Name
• City, state, zip code
• Street, house number
• Telephone number
• Email address

Same for reference 2, 3, 4...

it looks better in microsoft word.
I would punch this up and put the most impressive stuff first. Last time I had to go through a big stack of resumes, the biggest problem I saw was people not knowing how to cut out the unnecessary stuff and get the important stuff I was looking for up front and center. Some people had 4-5 page resumes full of absolute junk (these were recent grads, not former CEO's). So yours is short, which is good, but some stuff still needs to go.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:42 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,434,710 times
Erick Molina Castillo
Career objectives after completing high school:
 Further my education in the field of auto collision
 Obtain a position in auto collision repair
 Have my own auto collision shop

Work experience:
 Assisting in a body shop:
Changing tires
o General clean up
o Cleaning spray guns

Skills in auto collision repair:
 Welding
 Masking
 Metal straightening and cutting
 Shaping Filler
 Body work
 Using a spray gun

Other useful skills:
 Art/drawing
 Translating (English to Spanish)

Achievements:
 Finish-master 6H spray gun certified
 Boxing tournament trophy

Education:
 Kent Career Technical Center
 West Michigan Center for Arts and Technology

Old 01-04-2014, 07:07 PM

4,649 posts, read 6,480,471 times
Why not look at one of those web sites that you pay people $5.00 to do stuff like resume writing? Maybe someone will post a link.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:24 PM

15,353 posts, read 17,607,837 times
Regarding: 'helping dad's friend at body shop'

Put that as Work Experience. Put the name of the body shop and the city/state.

Put start and end dates that you worked there/helped. Such as January 2012-Sept 2013. If still working there, put "Present" instead of an end date.

Put your job title or a general title that reflects the work you did there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search