U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:26 AM

8,794 posts, read 13,281,490 times

Advertisements

It seems lately I am getting constantly contacted by companies that completely ignored me when I was actively looking a year and a half ago. I've had HR people from 3 major corporations contact me via Linked-In. I've applied for several postings on their internal site at each of these said companies in the past and was completely ignored. Of course, now I am not interested and politely declined. Are their recruiting departments as incompetent as they seem?

Last edited by MSchemist80; 01-05-2014 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 08:32 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,637,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It seems lately I am getting constantly contacted by companies that completely ignored me when I was actively looking a year and a half ago. I've had HR people from 3 major corporations contact me via Linked-In. I've applied for several postings on their internal site at each of these said companies in the past and was completely ignored. Of course, now I am not interested and politely declined. Are their recruiting department as incompetent as they seem?
More or less might have to do with financial purposes...sometimes they want to open the position, but it is later rescinded due to funding. I've had interviews that went very well and then was later informed the position was closed due to funding issues.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:05 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,971,140 times
You are assuming that the people courting you are the same ones that ignored you, which is probably not the case.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:11 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,465,525 times
It was a year and a half ago. It's a world of difference.

The beginning of the year is more active than the 2nd half for most industries, which don't cater to the holiday shopping season.

Your post is great example of Linkedin being used by companies to recruit. That's why I keep a profile out there.

Last edited by move4ward; 01-05-2014 at 09:20 AM..

Old 01-05-2014, 10:13 AM

3,118 posts, read 4,290,191 times
I'm assuming it's because you have 1.5 years more experience now and are actively employed.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:31 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,465,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
More or less might have to do with financial purposes...sometimes they want to open the position, but it is later rescinded due to funding. I've had interviews that went very well and then was later informed the position was closed due to funding issues.
That's true. Many companies will not send rejection letters, if they have more than enough applicants to fill the jobs. Somebody got hired first and the position is filled.

It doesn't mean the company will never hire that candidate. They just don't have enough openings to hire everybody that applies. When more positions open up, people can apply again.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 AM

8,794 posts, read 13,281,490 times
My experience isn't that much more extensive than before and the one company referred to experience I had from a while back that I had when I applied to them as being unique and valued by them. If it was so unique and valued why did you not even bother with me when I applied 2 years ago for the same job you are contacting me now about? Sorry but you missed the boat.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:24 PM

15,353 posts, read 17,603,354 times
It's possible that you look better now because of the employer that you currently work for. Maybe this current employer is very well respected and it is known that they have top notch talent. Maybe these recruiters had excellent luck before when placing people that worked at your current employer.

Some companies make your resume look better. Period. Even though YOU and your skills weren't any different now verus before you joined that company.

Kind of like when a little known celebrity starts dating an A-list celebrity. Suddenly they start getting good jobs and become newsworthy and it's based on them being associated with the A-lister.

Last edited by sware2cod; 01-05-2014 at 03:43 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 03:39 PM

12,292 posts, read 15,187,836 times
Of course. Now they have job orders. They had none a few years back.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:56 PM

42 posts, read 53,910 times
If you have skills which they, they'll call.

Companies were fairly stupid until recently as they believed that they could work smaller staffs to death and get the same results.Now that the economy has improved somewhat, many people have left sweat shops or decided to retire while the getting is good.

Don't be surprised that companies which you never thought would contact you start to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or