U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:53 AM

3,044 posts, read 4,018,155 times

Advertisements

It's a sad trend in the workplace but some industries have good completely this direction.
As other posters here have noted, you have to make it work for you.
You coming right off of both contracting and school, and agencies have become very, very age sensitive in the last five years (or is it their client base) so you're prime for placing.

There are levels of personnel agencies. Manpower and Randstad PLACE N. American wide, while other agencies reputations may vary city to city. Ask around coffee shops and employment centres and you'll find out fast who to stay away from in your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 10:02 AM

1,986 posts, read 2,237,707 times
fyi, Agencies try and send the resumes of at least 3 qualified people to each job opening that a company has. So, an agency may bring you in and assess your qualifications, then send your resume, but the company may not be interested.

Using staffing agencies should just be a small part of your overall strategy for landing a job (along with networking, online applications, attending job fairs, etc). You take the good (the possibility of keeping busy, making some money, and getting a good reference if it's a temp assignment that ends) and the bad (an assignment that ends abruptly through no fault of your own, no benefits, etc)

Contact an independent recruiter as well ( i.e. headhunter) and indicate that you're only interested in full-time, permanent opportunities.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:36 PM

23 posts, read 48,515 times
I've been applying online and looking at linkedin. But a lot of the positions (software engineering, programmer analyst, etc), they want xxx years of experience working with specific languages or technologies. I have some experience through internships, but not enough. It's also hard to get internships after graduating, which I hate.

Do you think it's a good idea to just ask the recruiter for the name of the companies, and apply directly to that company? Of course, only do this without filling out any application the agency hand out, that way I won't be connected to them.

Also, are there specific agencies that are preferred over another? I've worked with contractors from Volt before and they seemed happy.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:13 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,191,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterori View Post
Do you think it's a good idea to just ask the recruiter for the name of the companies, and apply directly to that company? Of course, only do this without filling out any application the agency hand out, that way I won't be connected to them.

They won't give you this info, and the reality is, the companies won't deal with you directly. They have contracts with the staffing agencies for these services to find and vet their temp employees.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:49 PM

13,821 posts, read 18,803,182 times
The worst one I ever dealt with was an agency that sent me out to an interview and the guy actually said "he was looking for a certain look and i was definately not it ' I was more than qualified for the job but because I was not bimbo ish looking and i know this because the lady recruiter came straight out and said he was looking for someone younger and a little more umph ...yeah she actually said that . I should have sued them for sending me on an interview with such a ****** with an attitude ..obviously he was looking for a bimbo that had a body but no brains ...sorry folks did not do Harvard for that .

Old 01-08-2014, 05:01 PM

23,592 posts, read 17,589,896 times
Quote:
I've been applying online and looking at linkedin. But a lot of the positions (software engineering, programmer analyst, etc), they want xxx years of experience working with specific languages or technologies. I have some experience through internships, but not enough. It's also hard to get internships after graduating, which I hate.

Also, are there specific agencies that are preferred over another? I've worked with contractors from Volt before and they seemed happy.
The agency doesn't want you to contact the client - if you apply directly, you cut the middleman (staffing firm) out and they no longer make money.

In small towns, you may be able to figure out who the company is because there may only be one company doing that one thing. There are usually a bunch of ads on Dice for help desk where I used to work in Lebanon, VA (about 3000 people), but they are all different agencies competing for the same positions. Once you figure this out, you cam see what positions the company has and then go from there.

My advice is to get out of IT and get into a regular industry that is not so chock full of staffing firms for even professional positions.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:17 PM

15,370 posts, read 17,630,878 times
OP - looks like you are in IT. Staffing agencies for IT are a great way for you to get work. You can get contract jobs and good companies and gain excellent experience. Often the interview process for a contractor is not as complicated as the interview process for a perm employee. This means you might get placed in a job quicker.

I have been doing IT contract work through agencies for many years with excellent luck. Been placed in Fortune 500 companies for both contract and perm work - making very good money and excellent cutting edge work.

What you must understand is this: Recruiters at staffing agencies deal with hundreds of resumes per day and they talk to lots of people each day. Just because you spoke with them (or emailed with them) last week about a specific job, do NOT expect them to remember the details when you talk again. So you have to refresh their memory when you speak "I am John Smith and you submitted my resume to Ford last week for the business analyst position in Philadephia. I am calling to see if there was any feedback from the hiring manager".

No need to stick with one recruiter. Often they have different clients so you need to deal with several. Just be careful about overlap positions that are shared by multiple recruiters. You only want to get submitted by one recruiter if it's the same job. Usually you can tell it's the same job since the bullet points of required skills/experience are the same and location and job title are the same. When you get submitted, it's best to find out the name of the client (company where you will work). This way if another recruiter calls with same job you tell them you were already submitted for that position.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:31 PM

15,370 posts, read 17,630,878 times
Quote:

Also, are there specific agencies that are preferred over another?
IMO, they are all basically the same. The recruiters hop from staffing company to staffing company. The companies buy each other out and merge periodically. I have worked for many of them and have not found one to be any different than the other. Basically they submit your resume to the client and get you an interview. Then they contact you with an offer and if you accept, they give you the details on start date and contact person at the client company.

Then you go to work at the client company and the only time you deal with the recruiting firm is to submit your weekly time card via their online system. Once in awhile you might get a followup call or email from the recruiter to check how things are going at the job. And you get your paycheck each pay period and that's it. The other time you hear from them is if your contract is extended or expired or cut. But mostly you learn this before they recruiter knows since your manager at the client company usually gives you a heads up that they want to extend the contract or they have you finish up your work because the contract is ending.
Also most staffing agencies have benefits which you can signup for. If you are an hourly contractor then you pay full amt for the insurance. If the recruiting firm hires you as a full-time employee then you get paid sligtjly less than hourly, but they pay much of your health insurance and they pay you 2 weeks paid vacation each year. Often they allow you to choose if you want to be hourly (at higher rate) or full-time with company paying health insurance and 2 weeks paid vacation. You can usually do the math and decide which is best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search