U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:28 PM

98 posts, read 101,318 times

Advertisements

I am going to a job interview tomorrow and it is quite possible I will not like the job. It is also quite possible that I will be offered the job right at the interview. How do I politely decline the offer if I decide I definitely do not want the job?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 12:33 PM

303 posts, read 512,012 times
If they offer it to you during the interview, just be honest. "Gee, I'm honored that you decided to select me but I honestly don't think this is the best fit." If they press you for a reason, just say that you had something else in mind and leave it at that. Most will just shake your hand and send you on your way.

If they offer after the fact, write that you've decided to accept a competing offer.

Though, I do think that if you don't have any other offers onhand and the pay is decent, accept it. If you don't like it, just part ways with them after a month or so or stick with the job until you find something better. Experience is experience, especially if you're within your chosen field. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2014, 12:34 PM

22,436 posts, read 9,548,322 times
Thank them for the offer and say that you have several other offers and would like a few days to think about it. Do you think it will be like Shark Tank and they will say "decide right this minute or I'll rescind the offer?"

They should at least give you a day. Then you can email or call and say you are going in another direction.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,964 posts, read 54,716,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Thank them for the offer and say that you have several other offers and would like a few days to think about it. Do you think it will be like Shark Tank and they will say "decide right this minute or I'll rescind the offer?"

They should at least give you a day. Then you can email or call and say you are going in another direction.
I agree with this advice, and if they do insist on an answer, simply tell them that without time to think about it you will decline, and thank them.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:49 PM

Thanks all! I have a question: the person on the phone said "Can you meet with me tomorrow?" I took it as an offer of an interview. But then he said "bring your driver's license and social security card" -- as if he is pretty sure he is going to hire me. So I am still confused - is it an interview? And is it appropriate to ask questions about the job when I meet with the person tomorrow? (The job description was very short and not informative, and I was planning to ask questions at the interview). But now I am not sure if this is an "interview" or not...

Old 01-09-2014, 12:55 PM

8,653 posts, read 5,423,390 times
If you feel this way about the job, then why applied for it in the first place. You must not really need it or else turning it down would not be an option. In this tough job markets, I would guess thousands of people out there are working jobs they don't like or even hate. But, the bills have to be paid and you have to provide for your family, so people have to do what they have to do. Some people just suck it up and work jobs they don't like until something better comes along. Perhaps you can learn from the experience or try for a different position once you get through your probation period. If I didn't have a job and no income, I personally couldn't start soon enough.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:00 PM

8,653 posts, read 5,423,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac11 View Post
Thanks all! I have a question: the person on the phone said "Can you meet with me tomorrow?" I took it as an offer of an interview. But then he said "bring your driver's license and social security card" -- as if he is pretty sure he is going to hire me. So I am still confused - is it an interview? And is it appropriate to ask questions about the job when I meet with the person tomorrow? (The job description was very short and not informative, and I was planning to ask questions at the interview). But now I am not sure if this is an "interview" or not...
sounds like its a position they need to fill real soon so be prepared to accept or turn it down. good luck to you

Old 01-09-2014, 01:02 PM

9,813 posts, read 17,055,615 times
Very few jobs offer jobs right after an interview. If they do offer you the job, say that you did not expect an offer so quickly and you would like to think about it overnight. If you know right off the bat that you will not like the job you can simply decline right then. You must be in a pretty good spot if you can turn down a job offer.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:03 PM

9,813 posts, read 17,055,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac11 View Post
It is always appropriate to ask questions about the job.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:10 PM

I don't know what this job pays, and I was told not to ask this question until I've been offered the job. But I don't understand whether or not I was "offered the job"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search