U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 05:27 PM

163 posts, read 411,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It does not matter if you are being interviewed for a sales job, or for one in any other field. The person that walks in confident that they can do the job, answers questions quickly without hesitation, and acts like they will be able to do the job is the one that gets hired.

You're not currently unemployed are you?

This might have been the case ten years ago, NOT today. It's a whole new world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 06:08 PM

929 posts, read 1,881,052 times
It's easy to get beaten down through this process. What you need to do is increase your toro poo poo quotient. If you are not confident, you need to pretend you are extremely confident. If you are not experienced, you need to become an actress that portrays someone who is obscenely experienced. Don't ever let them see you sweat. Come across as a person that they better hire and hire now. Put yourself in the shoes of the interviewer. Should you answer every question honestly? NO, NO. Not if you want to be hired. Answer the questions as you think they want them to be answered. If you want the job, you must be prepared to lie your tan lines off. When interviewing, you can throw Ethics 101 out the door. This is cut throat business and getting hired is the goal and the only way to win is to feed them the bull, and if they won't swallow it, cram it down their throats. Don't feel guilty about it... this is how the game is played. You are just playing within their rules. Game on. Preparation is key... I always found it helped to imagine the interviewer was sitting in the nude... Just try not to laugh during the interview.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:12 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,412,058 times
debtmonger, while I do agree with you that the world does work that way now, HR people can smell a lie a mile away. They specifically ask questions to weed out people who are just telling them what they want to hear. I know a lot of the behavioral interviewing questions are made to do that, and when you're in a group interview it is VERY difficult to get away with that. You can have a person ask you question #4, and then the next person asks #4 and guess what they do after you're gone? They compare notes and if their notes don't match, you're out.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:13 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,483,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeAsAngels View Post
You're not currently unemployed are you?

This might have been the case ten years ago, NOT today. It's a whole new world.
BS. It's the same today. His example with the church was not from 10 years ago. I had a class in 2008-2009 with over 100 people in it. It was the same deal. Everybody got a better job. We averaged a 40% salary increase.

I landed a new job for a $20k raise, only 2 years ago. It took only 2 actual interviews, but I had done hundreds of practice interviews. When I can speak confidently about my profession and communicate the most relevant attributes, I can succeed.

I just started a new job this year. It took 4 phone screens and 2 interviews.

Anybody can go out do a dozen practice interviews in a job support group. Do it 3 times a week, and that's 36 different interviews. You have 36 suggestions on improvement. By the end of the month, they are rocking and rolling.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:38 PM

163 posts, read 411,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
BS. It's the same today. His example with the church was not from 10 years ago. I had a class in 2008-2009 with over 100 people in it. It was the same deal. Everybody got a better job. We averaged a 40% salary increase.

I landed a new job for a $20k raise, only 2 years ago. It took only 2 actual interviews, but I had done hundreds of practice interviews. When I can speak confidently about my profession and communicate the most relevant attributes, I can succeed.

I just started a new job this year. It took 4 phone screens and 2 interviews.

Anybody can go out do a dozen practice interviews in a job support group. Do it 3 times a week, and that's 36 different interviews. You have 36 suggestions on improvement. By the end of the month, they are rocking and rolling.
You must be under 40 then or a Republican who refuses to acknowledge the job crisis.

Sorry, this isn't true. How nice that you're "rocking and rolling" but most of us aren't experiencing that. there's ageism and other factors at play here.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeAsAngels View Post
You must be under 40 then or a Republican who refuses to acknowledge the job crisis.

Sorry, this isn't true. How nice that you're "rocking and rolling" but most of us aren't experiencing that. there's ageism and other factors at play here.
I am nearly 40. Most of the people in my class were in their 30s-50s. Go figure. It's works for the generations that grew up in a previous era and it works for older generations like OldTrader.

Last edited by move4ward; 01-11-2014 at 07:30 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 07:27 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,760,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangirl32 View Post
At least to me.
I feel like I'm selling myself, trying to convince someone else to hire me.

I have been looking for a year now. I have a job, but it is toxic to say the least. I'd post about that in a separate thread. It is so bad that I want to leave, but due to this economy, can't quit until I find something else.

Today I had an interview and right now I'm just exhausted. I am tired of applying and applying, getting only a handful of interviews and then nothing. Not sealing the deal.

Every time I go for an interview, I try to prepare well ahead of the time, research the company, have questions, dress nice, smile and be peppy, but it's so hard to keep getting disappointed over and over and over again.

At today's interview, I felt barraged with questions. It was almost like being questioned by a police officer. I am just exhausted. I want something to give.

I have a Masters in Business and good work experience, but it doesn't seem to be enough in today's world.

I know I'm venting, but I am just sad.

People lie and embellish their experiences so one has to be thorough. Folks made it what it is.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:04 PM

1,844 posts, read 1,950,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
The best job interview I ever had was a job interview for a job and I thought didn't really exist. In other words, I thought they were just interviewing me because they had to. Consequently, I didn't worry about it too much. They called me up and said they wanted to talk to me, so I went home, put on a suit and tie, and went to the interview. I talked to a few people for about 45 minutes, and then left. I didn't think any more about it. The next day, they called and told me I had a job.

Sort of same thing happened to me. I had my eyes on a company, I interviewed with them, all went well and I was waiting for the results. Meanwhile the head hunter called and said another company wants me for an interview. I didnt understand who they were and what they were doing - it was early in the morning and the head hunter woke me up but I said I'd do it. Just to work out my interview muscle. Before the interview day I got an offer from the first company and I took it. So I went to interview with this second company and I really was relaxed. Guess what? I got a second offer.

But not wanting to brag about it. This has happened way back when the economy was better.

Oh well, what Im trying to say is that one should keep in mind that he has to be a bit relaxed and give his best in an interview.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Sort of same thing happened to me. I had my eyes on a company, I interviewed with them, all went well and I was waiting for the results. Meanwhile the head hunter called and said another company wants me for an interview. I didnt understand who they were and what they were doing - it was early in the morning and the head hunter woke me up but I said I'd do it. Just to work out my interview muscle. Before the interview day I got an offer from the first company and I took it. So I went to interview with this second company and I really was relaxed. Guess what? I got a second offer.

But not wanting to brag about it. This has happened way back when the economy was better.

Oh well, what Im trying to say is that one should keep in mind that he has to be a bit relaxed and give his best in an interview.
Exactly! It's quite odd, but most people don't notice it. They talk nervously, stutter, forget things, or do other silly things.

If they would practice interviewing with strangers, it will come off more like a conversation than an interrogation. That's when you win.

I had to overcome a stuttering problem with dozens of practice interviews with strangers in a job hunting class. It was so minor, that I never noticed the problem. Other people kept mentioned it to me as an issue to fix.

Now, I am much more relaxed in interviews. I have nailed jobs with in 2-3 interviews usually.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:25 PM

559 posts, read 720,216 times
Do whatever you need to to have an edge over someone else. My brother was disgusted when I told him that I google the name as soon as I find out who I'll be interviewing with. Why not? Everybody is on Facebook or Linkd, stands to reason the info should be used for something other than discussing favorite movies and restaurants right? Besides, from what I heard, that's exactly what the employer is doing with me, searching for any kind of dirt.

Everybody's gotta play the game, and it's not prostituting, it's selling, the people that can sell themselves usually make it in the door even with shortcomings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search