Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:48 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,690,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You must be under 40 then or a Republican who refuses to acknowledge the job crisis.

Sorry, this isn't true. How nice that you're "rocking and rolling" but most of us aren't experiencing that. there's ageism and other factors at play here.
The biggest crisis for many people:

The do not make a special resume, based on what is needed for that particular job. They want a general resume that is a one size fits all, and will fail them every time.

They do not go to an interview and sell themselves. When a HM smells fear when you walk into the interview, it turns them off. When you are reluctant to answer questions, it turns them off. They want to hire someone that shows confidence that they can do a good job, performing on the job you apply for. Either you sell yourself as a confident person and can do the job, or you will never be hired. Anyone that has had a bunch of interviews and no job, is proof that you are doing a bad job at the interviews, and will not get a good job till you change how you look and act at interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 01:22 AM

358 posts, read 510,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
Everybody's gotta play the game, and it's not prostituting, it's selling, the people that can sell themselves usually make it in the door even with shortcomings.
It's not a game and really it isn't even selling. It's the process. You want a job you have to prove you are the one. That's it.

That's all it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeAsAngels View Post
You must be under 40 then or a Republican who refuses to acknowledge the job crisis.

Sorry, this isn't true. How nice that you're "rocking and rolling" but most of us aren't experiencing that. there's ageism and other factors at play here.
If you have to play the political card you are just making excuses for yourself.

Free your mind.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:51 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,070,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

The do not make a special resume, based on what is needed for that particular job. They want a general resume that is a one size fits all, and will fail them every time.

They do not go to an interview and sell themselves. When a HM smells fear when you walk into the interview, it turns them off. When you are reluctant to answer questions, it turns them off. They want to hire someone that shows confidence that they can do a good job, performing on the job you apply for. Either you sell yourself as a confident person and can do the job, or you will never be hired. Anyone that has had a bunch of interviews and no job, is proof that you are doing a bad job at the interviews, and will not get a good job till you change how you look and act at interviews.
Some of the best advice on this thread. Sadly, it will likely be ignored by people of all ages and political affiliations. By her definition, I should be unemployed. I have voted Democrat consistently.

If I could give people one piece of advice, it's find a career mentor. The experienced professionals LOVE helping people, even total strangers.

If somebody follows through on their mentor's advice and it works, the mentor would absolutely to give more advice. They will volunteer more advice, because you listened. In most cases, people don't want to listen and come back to the mentor to vent. Why bother giving advice, if it falls on deaf ears?

My personal mentors are in their 60's. Their career advice included practice interviews or create targeted resumes, also. This advice works for people in their 20's as well as their 60's.

Last edited by move4ward; 01-12-2014 at 05:01 AM..

Old 01-12-2014, 04:54 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,010,427 times
I wonder if employers feel the same way. They essentially go through the same thing. They get asked a billion questions, have to sell the company, and more often than not, get turn down.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:41 AM

163 posts, read 500,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

How nice of you to assume that everyone out of work isn't trying hard enough.

I took a five day career bootcamp that taught me how to write an elevator speech. PARS, tailoring resumes, the hidden job market, networking groups, mock interviews. Every single resume I submit is tailored specifically for that job. I use word cloud to even see what keywords are used in the job description so that I make sure I use them in the cover letter and resume.

Because you don't get the job doesn't mean that you didn't give a decent interview or that you're not trying hard enough. It means they went with someone else for whatever reason. I dunno, perhaps um AGE? Ageism is a factor. 7% of people over 50 are unemployed. I'm in a networking group for people over 40 and I'm with some talented people who know what they're doing because they all took the same career bootcamp that I did. We're doing it right so enough with the constant judgment.

A little story. I did something very targeted for one of the biggest entertainment companies in the world for 5 years. A new entertainment company was hiring for a very similar position and I applied and had a phone screen with the hiring manager. The hiring manager said to me, "So you've done this before?". I could tell he really wanted to hire me. He told me when they were scheduling in person interviews and asked what my schedule was. Then it went dark... I never heard from him. I emailed him a number of times with no response.

I like to do searches on LinkedIn to see when someone has updated their profile with the job that I had applied for. That's how I know the position has been filled when a company doesn't bother keeping you in the loop. So I found out who got this job at that company and they hired some kid, fresh out of college who had very little experience. Clearly he was not in any way more qualified than me and I know that I gave a good phone interview.

What happened? What happened is that perhaps they wanted to pay rock bottom....or perhaps someone high up in the company has a close friend whose son just graduated from college and needs a job. Get it? Stop blaming everyone for being unemployed. It's offensive and it's tiresome. Some of us really are out of work through no fault of our own. Some of us really are trying to find a job but it's super competitive right now.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
It's not a game and really it isn't even selling. It's the process. You want a job you have to prove you are the one. That's it.

That's all it is.

If you have to play the political card you are just making excuses for yourself.

Free your mind.
I guess you haven't been watching the news lately. I have watched CSpan through this whole EUC debacle. Republicans think people on EUC are "gaming the system". Sorry but that's offensive when you're out there pounding the pavement 7 days a week trying to find work...scouring the internet, going to networking groups, interviewing, researching companies, tailoring resumes....

I don't need to "Free my mind". My mind is free and is grounded in reality unlike the GOP and YOU.

It's seriously offensive to read people saying "you're just not trying hard enough".

And how the hell do you know how hard we are trying??

Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,070,101 times
Quote:
Because you don't get the job doesn't mean that you didn't give a decent interview or that you're not trying hard enough. It means they went with someone else for whatever reason. I dunno, perhaps um AGE? Ageism is a factor. 7% of people over 50 are unemployed. I'm in a networking group for people over 40 and I'm with some talented people who know what they're doing because they all took the same career bootcamp that I did. We're doing it right so enough with the constant judgment.
The unemployment rate is worse for the younger people. Recent college graduates wish they had only a 7% unemployment rate. It's something like 20% for the under 25 set.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:44 AM

The difference is college grads don't stay unemployed. People over 50 have the highest long term unemployment rate than any other age group.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:52 AM

50 posts, read 77,900 times
Quote:
How nice of you to assume that everyone out of work isn't trying hard enough.

I took a five day career bootcamp that taught me how to write an elevator speech. PARS, tailoring resumes, the hidden job market, networking groups, mock interviews. Every single resume I submit is tailored specifically for that job. I use word cloud to even see what keywords are used in the job description so that I make sure I use them in the cover letter and resume.

A little story. I did something very targeted for one of the biggest entertainment companies in the world for 5 years. A new entertainment company was hiring for a very similar position and I applied and had a phone screen with the hiring manager. The hiring manager said to me, "So you've done this before?". I could tell he really wanted to hire me. He told me when they were scheduling in person interviews and asked what my schedule was. Then it went dark... I never heard from him. I emailed him a number of times with no response.

I like to do searches on LinkedIn to see when someone has updated their profile with the job that I had applied for. That's how I know the position has been filled when a company doesn't bother keeping you in the loop. So I found out who got this job at that company and they hired some kid, fresh out of college who had very little experience. Clearly he was not in any way more qualified than me and I know that I gave a good phone interview.

What happened? What happened is that perhaps they wanted to pay rock bottom....or perhaps someone high up in the company has a close friend whose son just graduated from college and needs a job. Get it? Stop blaming everyone for being unemployed. It's offensive and it's tiresome. Some of us really are out of work through no fault of our own. Some of us really are trying to find a job but it's super competitive right now.
I agree with this post.
Other reasons someone might not get a job, apart from ageism and a desire to pay rock bottom salaries include:

- Lack of cultural fit- Maybe the job is full of men, and you are a woman and they don't think you'd be a good fit with them or vice versa. Or they are laid back types and you are more traditional, or vice versa.

- Maybe you remind the hiring manager of someone who broke his heart in the past. Or if it's a woman, you remind her of an ex-boyfriend who did her wrong. Hiring managers are people too and they are not above being petty, biased, insecure ....

- It could have been a fake job. Some companies already know who they want but have to legally put out a job posting for a certain amount of time and go through the interview process.

There are so many reasons, here's one link 21 Reasons Why You Didn't Get the Job - On Careers (usnews.com)

People should not be so quick to assume that the fault always lies with the applicant.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:10 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,687,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post

That's all it is.

Free your mind.
Really? You think a lot of people get jobs by "proving" themselves? BS. A lot of people get jobs simply because they knew someone, and HR legally has to interview a certain amount of people before they can hire the person. I have seen dunderheads end up in management and supervisory jobs and all I can think is "HOW did YOU get THIS job??" There is such an immense culture of incompetence in supervisory and management positions and the only logical explanation I can have for that is networking. It doesn't even have to happen in management either. A lot of boneheads get entry level jobs and coast through knowing that they have a couple of friends who will look out for them.

It's definitely a game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search