U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 04:23 PM

836 posts, read 1,379,233 times

Advertisements

I've compared job search to dating: you don't stop the process until you've signed an acceptable written offer. Same as real estate too.

As a technician I'm not real fond of salespeople and for years rejected the notion of selling myself. But- after enough interviews I realized I either need to get good at selling myself or my career will be job search.

There are resources to help but lately I'm favoring more non-traditional means of standing out if you're striking out.
And it is also a good idea to get personal local help to to test interviews and see where you might strengthen your presentation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 02:51 AM

4 posts, read 2,712 times
Having recently gone through the process with a LOT of interviews, what I learned is that it's more about how engaging you can be in the exchange. Sure, you may (or may not) have the technical experience, but the key for me has been being able to build a genuine (or "genuine"*) relationship with your interviewer(s) in the 30 minute to 1 hour window you have.

Bottom line: Anyone can learn the technical skills, job function
The fact is: They will collectively decide to hire the person they can tolerate the most (or majority agree they like). Build as much rapport as you can without totally diverging from the interview. Here's where research comes into play.

*Note: Be as genuine as you can be however, you don't want to be putting on a character each day for work.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:50 PM

836 posts, read 1,379,233 times
Well put, Charming.

As kids we think the World of Work is all professional and efficient - the reality is employers hire whoever they like the best, find most attractive, or any number of unprofessional reasons.

Looking back I'd say being pleasant & likeable is as important as anything in interviewing.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:26 PM

701 posts, read 927,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharmingWordsmith View Post
The fact is: They will collectively decide to hire the person they can tolerate the most (or majority agree they like). Build as much rapport as you can without totally diverging from the interview. Here's where research comes into play.

*Note: Be as genuine as you can be however, you don't want to be putting on a character each day for work.

This is quite true, and something I don't understand about positions where they say "must have 3 years experience with Techtool Version 4.4.7 and 5 years experience with Thingiemabob Version 8.6.4 including plugins Thingiemabob Extension Version 1.1.3., plus familiarity with Ridiculous Specification 12.2.4000. Others need not apply."

So if you have 2 years experience with Techtool 4.4.6 and don't know Ridiculous Spec 12.2.4000, but could learn them within 2 hours, you're not eligible? And if you know Thingiemabob's competitor, Whatchamahoozit Version 5.2.3, that means you can't learn Thingiemabob? So the position will go to someone who has those incredibly specific qualifications, yet works as fast as a banana slug and has the personality of a rabid badger?

Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,553,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
news flash, this is exactly what a job interview is. what did you expect? you want someone to give you money, you need to tell them why you should be the one getting the money and not hte 10 other people comming in after you. also, if your not happy with the salary offered or want to get the most you can you need to explain why your worth it
Why is there always that one guy that almost apologizes for the crappy way things are? He usually states the obvious by saying stuff like that's life, no one is going to give you money and you have to prove yourself to the employer, blah blah.

People get that doodlemagic, that is how life has become not how life should be. The interviewing process has become outrageously degrading especially for those positions offering just a notch above the minimum. I remember having to go through three interviews each on different days, take a personality exam, get drug tested and wait for them to call me back, all for nine bucks an hour.

The point is that these employers seem to just be having a ball in this economy being able to have their pick of the countless reserve army of labor at their disposal.

Now I will just wait for the next guy to come in with the "stop complaining" attitude to tell me that such is life yada yada.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:36 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,553,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharmingWordsmith View Post
Having recently gone through the process with a LOT of interviews, what I learned is that it's more about how engaging you can be in the exchange. Sure, you may (or may not) have the technical experience, but the key for me has been being able to build a genuine (or "genuine"*) relationship with your interviewer(s) in the 30 minute to 1 hour window you have.

This is beyond true! The dirty truth behind the hiring process is that most employers hire whom they think will be a good fit for the office. That's pretty much it. The interviewee would have to have some absolutely mind blowing technical skills to merit getting based on his creds alone but if he has a personable attitude and looks like the right fit to get along with the other workers, he is in like Flint.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:40 PM

55,686 posts, read 74,680,484 times
looking for work is the hardest work on earth
people have been outright hostile to me when i did it.
i hear you. hang in there, a reward will come, there is a god. dont get angry its skunk juice to employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search