Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 02:26 PM

50 posts, read 78,165 times

Advertisements

At least to me.
I feel like I'm selling myself, trying to convince someone else to hire me.

I have been looking for a year now. I have a job, but it is toxic to say the least. I'd post about that in a separate thread. It is so bad that I want to leave, but due to this economy, can't quit until I find something else.

Today I had an interview and right now I'm just exhausted. I am tired of applying and applying, getting only a handful of interviews and then nothing. Not sealing the deal.

Every time I go for an interview, I try to prepare well ahead of the time, research the company, have questions, dress nice, smile and be peppy, but it's so hard to keep getting disappointed over and over and over again.

At today's interview, I felt barraged with questions. It was almost like being questioned by a police officer. I am just exhausted. I want something to give.

I have a Masters in Business and good work experience, but it doesn't seem to be enough in today's world.

I know I'm venting, but I am just sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 02:34 PM

53 posts, read 83,354 times
I continually go through the same sales effort you described so that I'll get hired for new projects. That's what business is -- selling your services (or products). Still, when nobody's buying, I agree that the process is tough on your stamina and confidence.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:59 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
The interview process has become crazy and degrading. I feel the same way especially getting jerked arround by HR and their stupid stuff. Fortunately I finally got a good job and don't have to play these games anymore. All you can do is work through it as best you can and know when to walkaway when HR is off their leash and jerking you arround more than usual.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:11 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Let me attempt to cheer you up!

Read this CREEPY job ad my neighbor came across:

Does this job ad say what I think it says or do I just have a dirty mind?

Prostitution as part of the job duties!

You don't have it so bad on a NORMAL job interview with NORMAL employers! Keep that in mind when you're feeling frustrated!

Old 01-09-2014, 03:24 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangirl32 View Post
At least to me.
news flash, this is exactly what a job interview is. what did you expect? you want someone to give you money, you need to tell them why you should be the one getting the money and not hte 10 other people comming in after you. also, if your not happy with the salary offered or want to get the most you can you need to explain why your worth it

Old 01-09-2014, 03:49 PM

164 posts, read 266,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangirl32 View Post
At least to me.

I have been looking for a year now. I have a job, but it is toxic to say the least. I'd post about that in a separate thread. It is so bad that I want to leave, but due to this economy, can't quit until I find something else.

Today I had an interview and right now I'm just exhausted. I am tired of applying and applying, getting only a handful of interviews and then nothing. Not sealing the deal.

Every time I go for an interview, I try to prepare well ahead of the time, research the company, have questions, dress nice, smile and be peppy, but it's so hard to keep getting disappointed over and over and over again.

At today's interview, I felt barraged with questions. It was almost like being questioned by a police officer. I am just exhausted. I want something to give.

I have a Masters in Business and good work experience, but it doesn't seem to be enough in today's world.

I know I'm venting, but I am just sad.
Don't worry you are not the only one feeling like that. It's hard to keep taking the disappointment and lack of responses. You start to feel as though you are not needed or warrant a response. I thought it was just my city, but it's all over the US.

Keep hope alive.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:55 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Well, maybe not prostitution, but more like dating.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:11 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
Next time - make them show you the money first!

Old 01-09-2014, 05:14 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Have you done a dozen practice interviews outside of formal interviews? If not, that's what's stopping you.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:39 PM

358 posts, read 512,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
news flash, this is exactly what a job interview is. what did you expect? you want someone to give you money, you need to tell them why you should be the one getting the money and not hte 10 other people comming in after you. also, if your not happy with the salary offered or want to get the most you can you need to explain why your worth it
Yeah, what did you expect? This is life. You have to prove yourself.

You don't take a test to go on a date. You have to sell yourself to the person you are after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search