Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 06:02 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,032,721 times

Advertisements

I think the dating analogy is apt.

You are looking for a job (single):The employer is looking for an employee (single)
You don't want to commit to something if you think you can do better.
Once you accept a position, your other options become more limited until you quit (break up)
Nobody wants to do long distance.
During the application process you are full of self doubt and insecurity, wondering if the other person likes you.
If you know somebody they know, you try to get the inside scoop (ask your friend if he likes me).
The interview is like a first date, everybody dresses up and checks their breath.
You wonder if online dating is better than just walking up to somebody and asking.
Experience counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 06:03 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,352,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
Yeah, what did you expect? This is life. You have to prove yourself.

You don't take a test to go on a date. You have to sell yourself to the person you are after.
Get off your high horses. He "was just venting" tough guy. He probably expects to get a job offer after being educated, experienced, preparing for interviews and sending out 100's of resumes. How is that hard to understand???

Old 01-09-2014, 06:07 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,820,271 times
I feel for you. Employers are always looking for people who talk the talk, but ironically they talk rather than work.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:18 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,486,497 times
Going to a job interview is like driving down the road with the police behind you.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:37 PM

50 posts, read 78,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Going to a job interview is like driving down the road with the police behind you.

LMAO. very funny. But you are right, it is nerve wracking.

I am just tired you know. I feel like a *****. 'Pick me! Pick me' and here is why.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,352,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I think the dating analogy is apt.

You are looking for a job (single):The employer is looking for an employee (single)
You don't want to commit to something if you think you can do better.
Once you accept a position, your other options become more limited until you quit (break up)
Nobody wants to do long distance.
During the application process you are full of self doubt and insecurity, wondering if the other person likes you.
If you know somebody they know, you try to get the inside scoop (ask your friend if he likes me).
The interview is like a first date, everybody dresses up and checks their breath.
You wonder if online dating is better than just walking up to somebody and asking.
Experience counts.
You forgot...

They only want you when you are taken.
They don't want you when you are desperate.
It is almost impossible to find a job or date on online. Almost always better through friends or your network.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:25 PM

358 posts, read 511,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Get off your high horses. He "was just venting" tough guy. He probably expects to get a job offer after being educated, experienced, preparing for interviews and sending out 100's of resumes. How is that hard to understand???
I'm guessing Tangirl 32 is a "she".

Old 01-09-2014, 10:03 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,679,085 times
The best job interview I ever had was a job interview for a job and I thought didn't really exist. In other words, I thought they were just interviewing me because they had to. Consequently, I didn't worry about it too much. They called me up and said they wanted to talk to me, so I went home, put on a suit and tie, and went to the interview. I talked to a few people for about 45 minutes, and then left. I didn't think any more about it. The next day, they called and told me I had a job.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:40 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,337 times
In this market you can't just expect your experience and degree to do the selling for you anymore. I do agree, it does seem like dating and it's awful. I went through a small round last year only to feel beaten and by the end of the summer had no more ambition left in me to look for a job. I talked to a lot of people who said to bypass the same old same old rigmarole and have people vouch for you. Do you have friends who know of positions that their employer needs to fill? A lot of the good jobs aren't always posted, so if you can get someone through the grapevine to help you.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:17 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,110,935 times
It's not really that hard, unless you are interviewing for a senior management position. There are only a small number of high level positions.

It comes down to practice. It's easier to whine than to practice regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search