U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 09:44 PM

1,378 posts, read 2,113,826 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm a recent college grad, I interviewed with a recruiter from At&t and I'll be having a 2nd interview soon. The company uses a company called HireRight to do the background check before they hire anyone.

Here's the catch, on my resume, I listed 2 work experiences, I worked at a family owned restaurant for 3 months for free because it wasn't doing too well financially. I worked like any other waiter but no pay. The other was an unpaid internship at an accounting office during the summer. On my resume, I simply wrote Waiter-----September 2010 to December 2010. And Office Assistant------January 2011 to March 2011.

So basically the background company won't find a trace that I worked at these places. My father can verify I worked at the restaurant. But the accounting office last time I checked went under, and I never kept in touch with the owner.

In my upcoming interview should I discuss this problem with the interviewer? I really have no idea what to do.

Thank you very much for hearing me out everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 09:55 PM

4,826 posts, read 7,269,892 times
Your resume isn't just supposed to list your position. It should be listed

Sept 2010-December 2010 Waiter
Joe's Family Restaurant, Topeka KS
Here you would put a description of your job duties and responsibilities

Below all your work experience, you put your degrees and educational achievements

Below that, put your skills or any special licenses or certifications

In college, didn't they give you guys any classes on resume prep or interviewing skills!??!?!?! Re-do your resume the correct way and when you go in, hand him the updated resume and explain that these were both unpaid positions ---- one, you were helping someone out and the other was an internship (you can actually list the internship on the resume as an internship ---- Office Manager (Internship)

Old 01-09-2014, 10:06 PM

Thank you for your reply Amisi.

I'll keep that in mind and will do that in the future. But right now I'm going into my 2nd interview so it's moot at this point. My 2nd interview is going to be on the phone with a company manager. Should I simply say: "By the way my work experiences were all unpaid, one helping out family and the other being an unpaid internship." Would that be enough?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:12 PM

4,826 posts, read 7,269,892 times
The way it posted up there is not the way it should look on your resume. It should be:

Dates then tab over and put your position. Hit enter and tab over to under the position and put name, location of employer. Hit enter and tab over to under name, location of the employer and put your job responsibilities.

I think saying that would be fine but you might still want to offer an updated (correct) resume. I always bring extra resumes with me when I go on interviews in case the interviewer doesn't have one and also so I have one to refer to just in case.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:12 PM

9,253 posts, read 11,806,344 times
Did they ever ask about compensation for those previous positions? Did they say to exclude unpaid internships or commision, tip or barter compensation positions? If not, what are you getting worked up over?

As for verification, they can verify the place existed butt hey can;t evrify anything else if the business is no lonegr open. It's not your fault they shut down.

However, do not lie if they ever ask about the compensation; that's where they get you.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
The way it posted up there is not the way it should look on your resume. It should be:

Dates then tab over and put your position. Hit enter and tab over to under the position and put name, location of employer. Hit enter and tab over to under name, location of the employer and put your job responsibilities.

I think saying that would be fine but you might still want to offer an updated (correct) resume. I always bring extra resumes with me when I go on interviews in case the interviewer doesn't have one and also so I have one to refer to just in case.
Sorry Amisi, my resume doesn't actually list it like that, I was just trying to get my point across. But thank you for the advice!

I actually emailed my recruiter telling him that I have an updated resume for him, if I input (internship) out of nowhere, would that come off as a bit suspicious? Sadly, I've had a Skype interview, and will have a phone interview, no 1 on 1 interviews.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Did they ever ask about compensation for those previous positions? Did they say to exclude unpaid internships or commision, tip or barter compensation positions? If not, what are you getting worked up over?

As for verification, they can verify the place existed butt hey can;t evrify anything else if the business is no lonegr open. It's not your fault they shut down.

However, do not lie if they ever ask about the compensation; that's where they get you.
Thank you for your reply Rabrrita.

To be honest, At&t simply sent out a campus wide email saying they were recruiting students. I simply emailed the recruiter my rather 'weak' resume, and I was offered an interview a few days later.

So far there has not been any mention of compensations. I'm getting worked over because there's a good chance I might fail the background check because they can't verify my past workplace...this could be a possibility right? Now I wish I only worked at paying positions instead of working for free...at least I would have W2s and paystubs for evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or