U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:10 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,075,401 times

Advertisements

Ha ha ha. Very funny. Thanks for the shout out.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:34 AM

345 posts, read 325,037 times
It actually happened to me yesterday. I'm in a position to hire (no current openings) and the barely English-speaking applicant brought their child with them to beg me for a job. I work with the public and certainly felt sorry for her but would never even consider hiring her because she obviously doesn't have a clue as to how her skills and talents could help me.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:47 AM

1,545 posts, read 2,073,640 times
Yes of course people are desperate , the key thing is you never show that desperation. Whether job hunting , dating, making friends etc... Desperation is not exactly attractive. But yes no doubt people are desperate every unemployed and underemployed person out there is desperate

Old 01-11-2014, 10:02 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,577,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
It actually happened to me yesterday. I'm in a position to hire (no current openings) and the barely English-speaking applicant brought their child with them to beg me for a job.
Your situation is quite dissimilar to that which the OP alleges:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I had an interesting conversation with a recruiter for a local large employer. He told me that he gets many phone messages on his voice mail and many emails that say basically this ...
I had probably one a year for the 16 years I operated my restaurant similar to that which you mentioned but never was a similar approach ever made to me via phone or email.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Status: "She was warned yet STILL she persisted" (set 5 hours ago)

4,796 posts, read 4,393,579 times
In my part of the world there are plenty of people who are desperate to get "any job, any at all." Just one example: My next door neighbor has a college degree and couldn't find a job around here despite applying everywhere and for anything. After an entire year spent in a fruitless job search he was finally offered and gladly accepted a job as a clerk at a local convenience store.

While I would never consider letting a potential employer that I would take "anything at all since I'm desperate" when applying for a professional job, I would for a minimum wage, "anyone with a warm body will do" type position. I would imagine that local employers would be aware of local employment conditions, as well as whether they have jobs that require a professional background or not. With this in mind, they could then screen potential employees.

Honestly? As one who has sat in on professional job searches in the past, a professional who said they were desperate and would take "any job" would not get considered for ANY job my organization had an opening for at the time. On the other hand, a person seeking a job as say - a motel maid - in my current depressed rural region might get an extra bonus point or two for admitting to desperation. Were I an employer seeking to fill unskilled, minimum wage wage openings, I'd look for the applicants most likely to stick around. A desperate applicant might just fit the bill. So, like anything else, it all depends.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Ouch, that's rough.

I know that when I hire, one of the things I look for is a qualified applicant who specifically wants this job, at my company. Someone for whom this is their dream job, rather than someone who is desperate for a job, any job. It would be a major red flag if someone ever said anything to me like the verbiage of desperation in the original post.

One thing I have noticed, from years of doing interviews, is how many applicants have a poorly done resume and/or can't interview for squat. I was in the unusual position of interviewing someone who I had once worked with, several years previously, last year. I knew from having worked with her before that she was a terrific employee and would be a good hire. But she interviewed incredibly poorly - she gave the impression that she didn't want to be there, she answered questions in a monotone, 4-5 word answers, didn't do anything at all to sell herself and convince the hiring committee that she wanted the group and would be a great fit. I later heard through the grapevine that she was very confused on why she didn't get the job -- she knew she was qualified and thought the interview should have been a mere formality. For some reason, it didn't click with her that while yes, she was qualified, so were the other 11 people we interviewed, and so were the other 30 people we pre-screened via a phone interview.
Some people don't "sell" themselves well. That said, you've said that you had worked with her previously and knew she'd make a terrific employee, so why didn't you speak up on her behalf to the committee after the interview. I'm not surprised that she was confused that she didn't get the job given that she thought it was a formality because she thought she had the inside track so to speak.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:59 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,251,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I had an interesting conversation with a recruiter for a local large employer.
He could probably get those people at half-wage. He doesn't sound very creative nor open minded.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:18 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,145,110 times
This is not the "Creative Writing" forum.

Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or