Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 01:52 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Because you wear a suit to an interview?

Are you speaking in specific situations where it may be considered 'over-dressed' or in general?

If in general, that's pretty ridiculous. I wear a euro-cut black or navy suit to every interview with a white shirt and black tie - I always get complimented on my appearance.

A button-down shirt and dress pants will probably work, although I always go with the advice of MJ7.
The only time that I was commented on by my interview attire was by a VP. I was dressed in a navy suit and tie. He apologized that I showed up in a suit. All the employers were in casual clothes, thirts etc. It was a slight distraction during the interview. I still nailed the job.

I have interviewed candidates. I don't care about the suit either way. If you wear an ironed shirt and slacks, then you are in. We aren't looking for fashion models dressed in tight European suits for the corporate office. We just don't want unkempt slobs applying for positions.

It's not just my opinion. I have asked other VPs and AVPs, also. The suit will not detract in a corporate environment, but it could certainly hurt a candidate in a blue collar or front line environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 01:57 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
I've been asked to wear suits to interviews, I have always worn suits to interviews and always will.

In two of my positions, they commented that I was very sharp and they liked my style. While the job may not require a suit, it is best practice to look the part, you are trying out for the squad...look your best, talk your best, be the best you you can possibly be on interview day.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:03 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
The only time that I was commented on by my interview attire was by a VP. I was dressed in a navy suit and tie. He apologized that I showed up in a suit. All the employers were in casual clothes, thirts etc. It was a slight distraction during the interview. I still nailed the job.

I have interviewed candidates. I don't care about the suit either way. If you wear an ironed shirt and slacks, then you are in. We aren't looking for fashion models dressed in tight European suits for the corporate office. We just don't want unkempt slobs applying for positions.

It's not just my opinion. I have asked other VPs and AVPs, also. The suit will not detract in a corporate environment, but it could certainly hurt a candidate in a blue collar or front line environment.
That is subjective. Usually once you have a job they will let you know there is no need to wear a suit to work and they will give you company policy on dress code. I have worked for low paying jobs in the blue collar area and I still wore suits to the interviews, none of it had a negative outcome.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:09 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
Depends on the job. I wore nice slacks, a button down tucked in (which I felt like a total dork doing), and nice dress shoes. The lady who interviewed me looked at me like I was overdressed. It was a factory job.
Metallica shirt and ripped up jeans may have got me the job
You learned a lesson. Next time, you know to not overdress. You will get the next job.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:

You don't have the job when you interview.

Is a suit needed for a blue collar job, not likely. But if you're interviewing for a corporate job you wear a suit, even though their attire may be business casual five days a week.

It's kind of like being a guest in someone's home. You tend to be on your best behavior, like being neater than you might be in your own home.

Unless you're instructed that business casual is OK, you dress better than the employees.

When you get the job you can dress like everyone else.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:31 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

When you get the job you can dress like everyone else.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:00 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Nonsense. A neat button down shirt, preferably white (or mostly white), a pair of pressed slacks and polished dress shoes are probably sufficient for such working environment. Don't wear jeans, sneakers, t-shirts, or trucker jackets. Keep it clean and simple. But its even better if you can call in advance and ask HR (or the secretary) how to dress. They always answer such questions.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:27 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Hahahaha. Yeah right. You lose out more often than winning. The rule is to NOT wear a suit, unless told otherwise.

Even at Fortune 500 companies, most people would look overdressed and stiff. I have interviewed at Fortune 500 companies. The interviewers are usually in chinos. If the interview is on Friday, they are in jeans and polo shirt. This includes interviews with VPs and AVPs.

I know a VP at a "too big to fail bank". He thinks candidates are going over the top with a suit. This is one of the largest banks in the country.
What area of the country do you live in? Because that's unusual advice. I worked for a Fortune 100 company for 18 years and I still deal with many professional companies on a freelance basis. I wouldn't think of going to a presentation in anything less than business casual, but to most places I wear what the youth today call "formal." Tech companies have been successful at making casual dress for work more prevalent. But in much of the country, under-dressing for interviews is still considered inappropriate. Location is a major factor. I would dress up more for Phoenix than Tucson. I would dress up more for Philadelphia than Phoenix.

I agree with the person who replied that the appropriate dress for an interview is what the top manager wears. If s/he wears business casual, fine. If s/he wears a suit, then a suit. Blue jeans and a T-shirt isn't appropriate attire unless you are interviewing to be a roadie.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:07 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,134 times
I once terminated an interview before it ever got off the ground good. This clown showed up in a corporate environment for an interview for an IT position wearing shorts and a torn T-shirt.
ME: Did you run into an issue getting dressed properly before you came here?
HIM: What do you mean?
ME: You showed up for this interview in shorts and a T-shirt. This is an interview for a job in a professional environment. I would expect you to dress accordingly.
HIM: Well, I don't think it's that big a deal. Are you hiring me for what I can do or for how I dress?
ME: Neither. I'm not hiring you at all. This interview is over. Goodbye.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:38 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloroller View Post
i once terminated an interview before it ever got off the ground good. This clown showed up in a corporate environment for an interview for an it position wearing shorts and a torn t-shirt.
Me: Did you run into an issue getting dressed properly before you came here?
Him: What do you mean?
Me: You showed up for this interview in shorts and a t-shirt. This is an interview for a job in a professional environment. I would expect you to dress accordingly.
Him: Well, i don't think it's that big a deal. Are you hiring me for what i can do or for how i dress?
Me: Neither. I'm not hiring you at all. This interview is over. Goodbye.
:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search