U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 03:28 AM

194 posts, read 235,085 times

Advertisements

Managers - How hard would you look into a resume to see if it was all in order. I'm talking about fake references etc
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 08:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,854 posts, read 54,552,867 times
We check 2-3 references, by phone, and depending on the position may spend 1/2 hour or more on the phone with them. I would not use a fake and would suggest asking permission before using a reference. There is not much worse for your chances than a reference who declines to comment. We have a contract with a company that verifies degrees, and we also call to verify prior employment dates and position.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 AM

12,626 posts, read 15,085,832 times
These days, there are pre-employment background checks run also and references are sometimes contacted. Be careful.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:46 AM

4,743 posts, read 4,378,456 times
I used to be a member of the faculty job search committee at the college where I worked. We checked all references plus supervisors for at least the previous five years. Personally? I would not lie. The potential blowback far outweighs any potential dividends for lying.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:04 PM

9,792 posts, read 17,010,948 times
We scrutinize all apps and very carefully scrutinize the final cut; your lie/s will be discovered and you will be booted from the process.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:23 PM

8,819 posts, read 13,312,939 times
It depends on what you lie about. Salary can be hard to verify. Most private employers won't give that out. Degrees: Don't be stupid those are easy to verify. Past jobs if the company is still in business it is easy to verify titles and dates of employment. If you omit a job of fake one with a defunct company you may get away with it. References get someone a burn phone it can be hard to verify that. I highly doubt a reference check will last 30min. Most references will hang up on the checker after 10 or so that is getting ridiculous as Most phone interviews don't last that long.

After being lied to and jerked around in interview after interview and reading about the despicable behavior day in and out on this forum and others by companies I have no problem with anyone lying to get a job.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:29 PM

3,279 posts, read 6,615,791 times
I'm not a manager, but my dad owns a small business and he never checks anything on an applicant's resume. He says he doesn't have time for it.

My first job out of college was for a CPA firm with 70 people and nothing on my resume was checked. None of my references were called and they didn't ask for my college transcript.

The job I have now is at a large organization, and they called two of my references and asked for my college transcript. They only asked my references two questions: "Was xxxxx working as an xxxxx between xxxxx and xxxx dates?" and "Is xxxxx eligible to be rehired?"

In my experience, small companies either won't bother check references at all or they will spend a lot of time talking to them. It's one way or the other.

With large companies, you bet they will check references, but they will usually only ask about the person's employment dates and if the person is eligible for rehire. With a large company, it's a check the box thing.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:54 PM

8,275 posts, read 11,133,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It depends on what you lie about. Salary can be hard to verify. Most private employers won't give that out. Degrees: Don't be stupid those are easy to verify. Past jobs if the company is still in business it is easy to verify titles and dates of employment. If you omit a job of fake one with a defunct company you may get away with it. References get someone a burn phone it can be hard to verify that. I highly doubt a reference check will last 30min. Most references will hang up on the checker after 10 or so that is getting ridiculous as Most phone interviews don't last that long.

After being lied to and jerked around in interview after interview and reading about the despicable behavior day in and out on this forum and others by companies I have no problem with anyone lying to get a job.
Very foolish advice, and apparently from someone with a real attitude problem. I have seen employees fired several years after hire when a false resume came to light. Don't do it.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:06 PM

6,976 posts, read 7,792,563 times
If you have to lie to get the job, you probably aren't qualified to do the job. Just sayin'

Old 01-11-2014, 01:08 PM

400 posts, read 1,319,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Very foolish advice, and apparently from someone with a real attitude problem. I have seen employees fired several years after hire when a false resume came to light. Don't do it.
if someone is fired several years later the company was just looking for a reason to fire that person. its not something that typically happens. they wanted that person out and had to come up with a justifiable reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search