U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 05:37 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,531,281 times

Advertisements

Poop happens.

One week after I was laid off/fired (not sure which applies- I got severence pay) from one "real employee" position (as opposed to my definitely-preferred "contract employee") the exact same work description was posted as a "Bangalore Office Opening"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 05:41 PM

400 posts, read 1,317,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How would you suggest that employers improve the process?
Better screening by key decision makers... They are times when one may have to go through 5+ individual interviews (some held on same day) and really there is only one person running the show... may not even be the hiring manager.... The firm needs to have that key decision maker involved from the start....

Years ago I went through 3 rounds of interviews before meeting with a C-level exec for the company. The C-level exec didn't want to hire me because of XYZ... The hiring team should have know what this C-level exec was looking for before making me jump through hoops in the first 3 rounds since he ultimately vetoed me.

Its often time not someone that high up... It could be a partner in another functional area puling the strings so that person should be involved well before a final round.

Also better job description writing.... This has been a issue that Ive seen many times....

But would I really want is for HR or the recruiting team to come up with a solution..... So many people time have been wasted for reasons that shouldve or couldve been resolved during a telephone screening....

Old 01-11-2014, 05:49 PM

163 posts, read 410,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
They want to hire people at entry level pay, that's why. What ends up happening is you have this slew of fresh graduates or last year's graduates who are entry level and can't get the jobs. The person who has 3+ years of experience with a solid background is the one who gets the job, but they're getting a 1/4 paycheck cut.

What's even worse are those "'internship" postings that basically want someone proficient in Adobe CS3, SEO, SEM, Email Marketing, Social Networking, Salesforce, Marketo and who's an amped up "rock star" who works hard and plays harder to work for...

NOTHING.

There's a special place in hell for companies that host those postings.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:51 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,408,459 times
Here's a way to improve the process-- they need to interview the person who is leaving the job. Ask them what are the most important skills to know in order to do the job minimally, at standard, and above standard. What are hard skills essential to the position? What are non-negotiables? What are the soft skills a person must have to do the job (will they need to have a level of customer service skills in order to obtain info from customers, have they worked in other teams before, managers, etc). What is requested for the job needs to be concrete, clear, and obtainable. Better yet-- they need to ask the supervisor of the person in the position the same questions.

If the person says, "a qualification is to critically examine and analyze the data" they should be able to explain what that means. Critically analyze inventory, product pricing over the course of a year, query data about top customers, what?

Last edited by Vintage_girl; 01-11-2014 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: Added sentence

Old 01-11-2014, 05:53 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,408,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeAsAngels View Post
What's even worse are those "'internship" postings that basically want someone proficient in Adobe CS3, SEO, SEM, Email Marketing, Social Networking, Salesforce, Marketo and who's an amped up "rock star" who works hard and plays harder to work for...

NOTHING.

There's a special place in hell for companies that host those postings.
They treat interns terribly, too. I have a relative whose husband is going through that experience and they too, expected him to be capable of rocket science.

Whenever I see the phrase "rock star," I immediate close the tab of the ad and move on.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:41 PM

2,285 posts, read 3,108,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
Nothing worst than spending time and money on an interview process only to see the job reposted on multiple sites (linkedin, monster, careerbuilder, ...) the next day. Its obvius it wasn't an automatic refresh. On the up side you know you did not get the job and can eagerly move on but on the down side you feel like you wasted time and money interviewing for a role that could have been better invested with a more appropriate opportunity... (talking about specific job with specific company not a multiple role or high turnover posting)

HR why do you waste people time? Workforce why do we go through the roller coaster of become invested in opportunities before they are solidified? So wish there was a crystal ball that says whether or not a job interview will be a waste of time....
You sure you read all that right?

Old 01-11-2014, 10:42 PM

8,976 posts, read 8,099,396 times
When you are interviewed and they re-post the job. You know they did not find the person that they wanted to hire. So they start the process over again. Sometimes they change the specs a little, to try to find the person they want. They do not just re-post for t he fun of it, as it costs time and money to keep looking.

One of the biggest problems, is job seekers, who try for jobs they are in no way qualified for. When they get to the interview it quickly becomes apparent they are not qualified, and the employer keeps looking.

If you live in an area of higher unemployment in the field of the job, they can have hundreds of people apply, and only 5 may even be half way qualified. Then the interview says these are no good either.

Many keep complaining that companies do not want to give them extensive training, as they have the degree they think they should be hired. Companies know there are people out there that do qualify, and they do not have to spend a lot of time and money training them. If they prove to not work out after training, they have wasted time and money training them with no return on investment. SO... If they don't get the person they want, they re-post until they do. In the long term, this is the best way to go.

I keep seeing people on these threads say I had 80% of what they wanted, and could not even get an interview. They want and will find someone with 100% of what they want in less time than they could hire someone with 80% and get them trained to do the job.

One reason they don't want to train, as too many people as soon as they are trained, will go out and start looking for another job, wasting their training time and money.

Companies only re-post the job, when they did not find the qualified person they want the first try.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
When you are interviewed and they re-post the job. You know they did not find the person that they wanted to hire. So they start the process over again. Sometimes they change the specs a little, to try to find the person they want. They do not just re-post for t he fun of it, as it costs time and money to keep looking.

One of the biggest problems, is job seekers, who try for jobs they are in no way qualified for. When they get to the interview it quickly becomes apparent they are not qualified, and the employer keeps looking.

If you live in an area of higher unemployment in the field of the job, they can have hundreds of people apply, and only 5 may even be half way qualified. Then the interview says these are no good either.

Many keep complaining that companies do not want to give them extensive training, as they have the degree they think they should be hired. Companies know there are people out there that do qualify, and they do not have to spend a lot of time and money training them. If they prove to not work out after training, they have wasted time and money training them with no return on investment. SO... If they don't get the person they want, they re-post until they do. In the long term, this is the best way to go.

I keep seeing people on these threads say I had 80% of what they wanted, and could not even get an interview. They want and will find someone with 100% of what they want in less time than they could hire someone with 80% and get them trained to do the job.

One reason they don't want to train, as too many people as soon as they are trained, will go out and start looking for another job, wasting their training time and money.

Companies only re-post the job, when they did not find the qualified person they want the first try.
Good points but Companies should know if a candidate is not qualified well before a final round interview. Im an advocate of HR phone screens and a bigger advocate of Hiring manager phone screens

I can say that most people are rejected for reasons that have nothing to do with skill. People hire based on cultural fit, interpersonal skills and family/ friend connections in addition to skill.

I've witnessed people be rejected for very petty reasons and hired for even pettier ones

Old 01-11-2014, 11:04 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,425,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
Better screening by key decision makers... They are times when one may have to go through 5+ individual interviews (some held on same day) and really there is only one person running the show... may not even be the hiring manager.... The firm needs to have that key decision maker involved from the start....

Years ago I went through 3 rounds of interviews before meeting with a C-level exec for the company. The C-level exec didn't want to hire me because of XYZ... The hiring team should have know what this C-level exec was looking for before making me jump through hoops in the first 3 rounds since he ultimately vetoed me.

Its often time not someone that high up... It could be a partner in another functional area puling the strings so that person should be involved well before a final round.

Also better job description writing.... This has been a issue that Ive seen many times....

But would I really want is for HR or the recruiting team to come up with a solution..... So many people time have been wasted for reasons that shouldve or couldve been resolved during a telephone screening....
It's easier said than done. There are individuals that figure out how to game the system to get past the front line. People lie, play psychological games, sell themselves as something they are not... just to get to the hiring manager.

Often, it's not employers wasting people's times... but people wasting employer's times. And the employers only determine this after several rounds.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's easier said than done. There are individuals that figure out how to game the system to get past the front line. People lie, play psychological games, sell themselves as something they are not... just to get to the hiring manager.

Often, it's not employers wasting people's times... but people wasting employer's times. And the employers only determine this after several rounds.
for me the only justifiable reason a person goes through several rounds and does not get hired is when the competition is stiff... meaning multiple candidates are qualified but one is more likeable with a bit more experience... but to have a person go through several rounds then claim he or she isn't qualified AT ALL is foolish....

i've seen myself and others get vetoed by one person in a 10 person interview process (10 individuals from different departments/ functional areas weighing in their concerns).... its difficult to impress and charm 10 different people some of who have prejudices/ preferences that youll never know about

or if you go through a full process and they come back and say we want someone who lives closer
or we want someone with this certification
or we want someone whos worked for this type of firm before....

these are things that are obvious on a persons resume/ application

im an advocate for accurate job descriptions/ pre tests and thorough phone screens to prevent all parties time from being wasted.....

Last edited by caradvice; 01-11-2014 at 11:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search