U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 01:40 AM

4,649 posts, read 6,479,224 times

Advertisements

Look people. We are living in a different time. Somehow, someway start a business of your own. Learn to sell and you can always find a way to earn an income. The world doesn't care about you or your degree. If one door is closed to you walk through another. Yea I know it sucks but you have to do what you have to do. Don't take no s___ from anyone and if it gets to a point where you know you didn't get the job let them know why you feel you would be an asset to the company. At that point what have you got to lose? Companies are out to make money so just inform them why you are an asset. Sell yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 07:12 AM

400 posts, read 1,317,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Look people. We are living in a different time. Somehow, someway start a business of your own. Learn to sell and you can always find a way to earn an income. The world doesn't care about you or your degree. If one door is closed to you walk through another. Yea I know it sucks but you have to do what you have to do. Don't take no s___ from anyone and if it gets to a point where you know you didn't get the job let them know why you feel you would be an asset to the company. At that point what have you got to lose? Companies are out to make money so just inform them why you are an asset. Sell yourself.

this is true. selling is an important skill.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:03 AM

3,341 posts, read 3,045,294 times
Quote:
I can say that most people are rejected for reasons that have nothing to do with skill. People hire based on cultural fit, interpersonal skills and family/ friend connections in addition to skill.
In my department there are very specific requirements (professional degree and admission), so you bring in 10 people, all will have that. It comes down to if they are able to answer correctly some hypothetical questions (if you can't, you're out, but this should be part of your education/admission requirements). Then, with whomever is left, it really comes down to who will fit into the group the best. We have a small group (12) and work very closely together and long hours, so the personality/cultural fit trumps all. Someone may be 110% great on paper and in the phone screen with the HR dept. but in the interview, it quickly becomes apparent that they will not fit into the group. But you won't know this until they come in.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
In my department there are very specific requirements (professional degree and admission), so you bring in 10 people, all will have that. It comes down to if they are able to answer correctly some hypothetical questions (if you can't, you're out, but this should be part of your education/admission requirements). Then, with whomever is left, it really comes down to who will fit into the group the best. We have a small group (12) and work very closely together and long hours, so the personality/cultural fit trumps all. Someone may be 110% great on paper and in the phone screen with the HR dept. but in the interview, it quickly becomes apparent that they will not fit into the group. But you won't know this until they come in.
understood... i just believe that someone from the department should phone screen in addition to HR... work style and corporate cultural preferences should be discussed during that phone screen.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:26 AM

163 posts, read 410,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Starting your own business costs money and many of us don't have capital to invest or even decent credit to get a loan. And I can only speak for myself when I say that I cannot attempt to "sell" myself anymore than I have. I have gone to workshops, read books and done everything I can to get that job and have had no luck.

The problem is that it's just too damn competitive. For every job, there are 3 candidates. Companies will go for the young ones because they can pay them less.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:08 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,425,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeAsAngels View Post
Starting your own business costs money and many of us don't have capital to invest or even decent credit to get a loan. And I can only speak for myself when I say that I cannot attempt to "sell" myself anymore than I have. I have gone to workshops, read books and done everything I can to get that job and have had no luck.

The problem is that it's just too damn competitive. For every job, there are 3 candidates. Companies will go for the young ones because they can pay them less.
I see people putting these lies out there all the time. Starting your own business doesn't always require money. Especially if it is a service-oriented business.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:24 AM

34 posts, read 51,034 times
Alrighty, don't mean to be off topic- but the absurdity of questions like this, having nothing to do with your experience or how you'll do the job at hand reminded me of my current, favorite, expert in the field of employment and job hunting etc. "Ask The Headhunter" with Nick Corcodilos. He's affiliated with PBS.

Nick Corcodilos Archives | PBS NewsHour

Honestly, what I like about "Ask The Headhunter" is that, he really gives voice to the collective frustration of the unemployed, their experiences and the absolute absurdity of the job market, human resources and the flaming hoops of stupidity that we jump through.

Corcodilos has special ire for the HR Departments of America laying the unemployment crisis squarely at their feet based on their over-reliance on technology.

Ask The Headhunter: Unemployment -- made in America by employers | PBS NewsHour

Ok, and one more thing- "The Evil HR Lady" - a great resource for getting inside the heads of nutty HR types...

Evil HR Lady

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2014, 11:37 AM

3,341 posts, read 3,045,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
understood... i just believe that someone from the department should phone screen in addition to HR... work style and corporate cultural preferences should be discussed during that phone screen.
It's not work style per se. It's something that you have to meet the person in person. It works for us.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
It's not work style per se. It's something that you have to meet the person in person. It works for us.
can u give a concrete example? when i read your comment i think discriminating factors - age, race, socioeconomic status. i hope those aren't examples of what you're referring too.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:03 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,408,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I see people putting these lies out there all the time. Starting your own business doesn't always require money. Especially if it is a service-oriented business.
We don't NEED more service based business in an already-swamped service based economy! We need REAL jobs back in the US where we produce tangible goods. It makes no sense to tell people to start up a service based business when there are people struggling to get the jobs that would solicit the business.

Some of us don't want to start a business right now, if ever. We want to get jobs where we know if we suck up enough, we can keep it. I want a job because I need the income so I can start a family. That's all I ask. I don't think that should be such a difficult venture but with employers constantly using HR bimbos to do their work soliciting candidates, it just wastes everyone's time.

Isn't that way companies often hire external consultants? To evaluate how they do things and how to improve their processes? They spend all the money on that crap but when it comes to streamlining their candidate search, they bring people in for 2-3 hour interviews and decide that person won't do. Give me a break, it's all a huge power trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search