U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:53 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,443,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
When did I say I wanted to start a business? Is that even the topic of discussion here?
When I mentioned how you don't need money to start a service-oriented business, your response was:

Quote:
We don't NEED more service based business in an already-swamped service based economy! We need REAL jobs back in the US where we produce tangible goods.
So I was suggesting a way for someone to get back into earning an income. And your response was to be part of a much larger solution. I commend you on taking on a business based on tangible products. Be the change you want to see. Don't wait for others to do it.

Quote:
Is that even the topic of discussion here?
Not really. I was simply responding to another person's post in relation to the topic and you decided to go off on a tangent. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 12:25 AM

8,977 posts, read 8,109,767 times
Quote:
I could tell they changed the description and I think what would have been a better use of their time was to eliminate the word "entry level" from it.
They mostly mean, it is an entry level position with their company and with some time you can work up. You may not consider what they consider to be entry level, to be entry level. But they do as that is the low level they want for people to work for them in that type of position.

Quote:
Isn't that way companies often hire external consultants? To evaluate how they do things and how to improve their processes? They spend all the money on that crap but when it comes to streamlining their candidate search, they bring people in for 2-3 hour interviews and decide that person won't do. Give me a break, it's all a huge power trip.
Wrong. They bring in people for an interview, to evaluate if they are qualified to do the job, have an attitude that the company likes in it's employees. Is confident they can do the job. If that person does not meet their needs for the position they have to start over again. They don't like starting over again, as it takes up costly time and budget money to keep searching. If you prove not to be satisfactory for the job, you will not get it. Sometimes you may be qualified for the job, but you do such a bad job of selling yourself at the interview you will not be hired.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:42 PM

400 posts, read 1,318,658 times
How to tell when a prospective company is wasting your time

Old 02-17-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
Take heart, caradvice, and anyone else looking.

It is a tough time and very competitive to get employed right now.

Consider a lower position where you might shine and advance quickly - drop off resume' and brief, friendly cover letter at employers who aren't advertising openings, have Thank You card already addressed and stamped to fill in custom thanks and mail as soon as you leave the interview.

Little things can make you stand out favorably.

Hang in there!
good points

Old 02-17-2014, 10:20 PM

821 posts, read 921,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post

HR why do you waste people time? Workforce why do we go through the roller coaster of become invested in opportunities before they are solidified? So wish there was a crystal ball that says whether or not a job interview will be a waste of time....
See the thread I just started. It never ceases to amaze me that people think HR employees are sensible and are expected not to waste time.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
See the thread I just started. It never ceases to amaze me that people think HR employees are sensible and are expected not to waste time.
When will people give up the notion that employers are infallible?

youre right. employers hold an idolized stature in many of are minds...

Old 02-18-2014, 01:12 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,791,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
Nothing worst than spending time and money on an interview process only to see the job reposted on multiple sites (linkedin, monster, careerbuilder, ...) the next day. Its obvius it wasn't an automatic refresh. On the up side you know you did not get the job and can eagerly move on but on the down side you feel like you wasted time and money interviewing for a role that could have been better invested with a more appropriate opportunity... (talking about specific job with specific company not a multiple role or high turnover posting)

HR why do you waste people time? Workforce why do we go through the roller coaster of become invested in opportunities before they are solidified? So wish there was a crystal ball that says whether or not a job interview will be a waste of time....
This happens all the time.

I still see job postings floating around, regularly reposted, for jobs that I know have been posted since at least 2010, when I was laid off from my old DoD contractor. Heck, a few of them I even had on-site interviews for, and was promised, "Oh, yes - this time we're hiring people for this job" - which clearly implies that they know full well that they've been reposting this job for a while and not taking it seriously. Not surprisingly, in those cases nobody was hired and the jobs are still floating around, almost 4 years later.

Now and then, some companies will be honest and make it clear that the job is for a "resume bank" or something similar that is dependent upon a contract win or increased need for hiring that may not happen, and I can respect that. I'll still apply, but at least I don't get my hopes up, nor do I waste time in run-around interviews that aren't going to amount to anything since the company has no intention of hiring anyone unless, perhaps, they are a minor deity who wants to work for minimum wage.

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:25 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,655,181 times
Quote:
I can't stand how employers want all of these years and years of experience and knowledge but claim entry level. An entry level person is one with little experience, not 5 years and they have a strong skill set.
Yes! It's annoying when someone says they're having a hard time finding a job and someone says, "Well, try something entry level if you don't have experience or want to try something new, that should be easy!" Have they looked at what people want for entry level these days? 3-5 years of experience working this position for a large company, [insert specialized skills/knowledge] required. Internships are the new entry level lol

Old 02-18-2014, 01:35 PM

7,478 posts, read 5,791,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
Yes! It's annoying when someone says they're having a hard time finding a job and someone says, "Well, try something entry level if you don't have experience or want to try something new, that should be easy!" Have they looked at what people want for entry level these days? 3-5 years of experience working this position for a large company, [insert specialized skills/knowledge] required. Internships are the new entry level lol
The best part is that not only is *every* job posting set up to basically exclude anyone who doesn't work for that company, I'm also starting to see cases where companies will NOT count internships as experience for the job!

One has to love the system: Prevent people from finding a job by making up absurd requirements for even the most entry level positions. Then, lure some poor sod into an internship so he can work - unpaid - for the company to "gain experience." Finally, turn around and tell him that the experience doesn't count!

Right... things are going to end very well at this rate.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:54 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,050,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
The best part is that not only is *every* job posting set up to basically exclude anyone who doesn't work for that company, I'm also starting to see cases where companies will NOT count internships as experience for the job!

One has to love the system: Prevent people from finding a job by making up absurd requirements for even the most entry level positions. Then, lure some poor sod into an internship so he can work - unpaid - for the company to "gain experience." Finally, turn around and tell him that the experience doesn't count!

Right... things are going to end very well at this rate.
Here is what I love:

I went to a job interview last week. It claimed to be entry level, and the requirements seemed reasonable. Since I am in the market to get into something different, I figured what the hell. Worst that can happen is I get ignored.

The interview was tough but thorough. I did require a couple of hints in a few places but I eventually worked through all the problems except the brain teaser at the end.

The HR person called me yesterday and said I presented myself well but they went with someone with more experience. The job was also just re-posted on Monster yesterday.

I was like WTF?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search