U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 03:54 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,160,816 times

Advertisements

what frustrates me - is getting referred to the the selection person - but not getting interview - then told it was filled by someone else - and now re-announced - this is Gov't job. I get referred - but then a panel of what would be co-workers determines who gets interview and 2 x now - didn't get interview Re-announced again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 893 times
I feel ya I am going through the same thing right now

I went through a first and second interview with a company. After the interviews I had a job shadow and it went great all the staff were positive and I talked to the manager of the office and she was excited with the possibility of bringing me on. Then 2 days later I had gotten an email saying the I was not longer being considered for the position by the district manager. The next day she reposted the same position I had applied for online.

I had contacted the district manager asking what I could improve on and what happened. I also contacted the office manager. The office manager told me it was the district managers decision and she will be in touch with me. I have yet to receive an email from her.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:04 PM
mcq

336 posts, read 546,277 times
Yes, very annoying. Apply to job where you fit every requirement. Get interviewed. Get rejected with the generic message "Going with those who more closely fit our requirements"/"Moving forward with others"/etc. Worded in a way to make you think there were others who just simply got picked over you. Same job still actively being reposted 6 months later. Hope to be a purple enough squirrel someday.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:47 AM

6 posts, read 4,977 times
I thought I was crazy...I have been doing the job search crap for a few months and this reposting business has been irritating as hell. Why bother to post a job that doesn't exist? Do they really think collecting resumes for a "pool of candidates" makes sense if those people are likely to be employed 6 months from now?

Old 11-20-2015, 05:20 PM

71 posts, read 44,656 times
Going through this now. I just don't understand because me and the manager interacted with each other- emails and phone calls, quite more than people in my position interact with HR/managers. She had me shadowed for one position- she's the one who asked me was I interested in the position, but then recanted by saying they are not looking to fill in the position any more. After that, she calls me a week later about another position to see if I'm interested and be willing to commit a year too it, I was ecstatic. I showed my inference and willingness to put in work. I guess I wasn't too convincing!! This was Wednesday. Now today, around 1pm, she posted the position she called me about this week on Indeed and the one she was no longer looking to fill!! Like what happened?? I'm just tired at this point. I'm not even mad or frustrated, just tired. Like I'm ready to give up. Help me Lord, please bless me. I'm turning it over to you.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:01 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,204,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Faith in GA View Post
Going through this now. I just don't understand because me and the manager interacted with each other- emails and phone calls, quite more than people in my position interact with HR/managers. She had me shadowed for one position- she's the one who asked me was I interested in the position, but then recanted by saying they are not looking to fill in the position any more. After that, she calls me a week later about another position to see if I'm interested and be willing to commit a year too it, I was ecstatic. I showed my inference and willingness to put in work. I guess I wasn't too convincing!! This was Wednesday. Now today, around 1pm, she posted the position she called me about this week on Indeed and the one she was no longer looking to fill!! Like what happened?? I'm just tired at this point. I'm not even mad or frustrated, just tired. Like I'm ready to give up. Help me Lord, please bless me. I'm turning it over to you.
Don't give up and don't turn it over...listen, some places are just flakes. Even if you got a job there, it's a real red flag from the start if they conduct themselves this way. You don't have to know all the internal workings, but externally if they do odd things it is an indication to continue to look elsewhere.

From my experience when you get hired for a good job, things move rather quickly. They don't string you along for months, have delays and re-post the jobs.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:08 AM

71 posts, read 44,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Don't give up and don't turn it over...listen, some places are just flakes. Even if you got a job there, it's a real red flag from the start if they conduct themselves this way. You don't have to know all the internal workings, but externally if they do odd things it is an indication to continue to look elsewhere.

From my experience when you get hired for a good job, things move rather quickly. They don't string you along for months, have delays and re-post the jobs.
Thanks for the response. I thought she was a really nice person. After all her constant contact with me showed that she seemed to believe in me. But, she must not. It's quite disappointing. I hope she doesn't contact me anymore, unless she's ready for me to sign some paperwork. Again thanks for the response, I appreciate it!!

Old 11-21-2015, 10:51 AM

848 posts, read 643,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I've seen some jobs reposted with a few small tweaks. I interviewed for a bank investigator position thinking they were looking for investigative skills more than anything else, based on what the description said. I interviewed, and they kept asking me about bank procedures that I didn't know anything about. They later reposted the position with a focus on banking and there was a lot less about conducting investigations, so I'm guessing they didn't hire anyone the first time.

The thing that irritates me is when a company DOES hire someone, but they don't take their ad down. Home Depot had an investigator position online for over a year in my area, and it kept refreshing every few weeks. I think I applied for it two or three times. I'm guessing they leave it up just to collect resumes and applications for future screening.
Another one is when a company post a position but it's already slated for an internal candidate or someone who already works there. If they already know who they are going to hire why post the position on the site?

Old 11-22-2015, 10:19 AM

20 posts, read 19,646 times
Just went through this myself. It sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search