Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 02:28 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,944,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeAsAngels View Post
Starting your own business costs money and many of us don't have capital to invest or even decent credit to get a loan. And I can only speak for myself when I say that I cannot attempt to "sell" myself anymore than I have. I have gone to workshops, read books and done everything I can to get that job and have had no luck.

The problem is that it's just too damn competitive. For every job, there are 3 candidates. Companies will go for the young ones because they can pay them less.
Someone will get the job. Why not you? As for starting a business there some people making good money selling Mary Kay. Get a state license or professional license and compete. Sell cars. You can get a real estate, insurance, or a securities license a get to selling. Sure you may not want to do it but the opportunity is there. If someone won't give you a job it's time to make your own. Today with Obama care and the ability to design your own investment program there's no need for a employer to provide a benefits package. Your free. One day people left the fields a moved to the factory. Well today it's a new day again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 02:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,056,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
We don't NEED more service based business in an already-swamped service based economy! We need REAL jobs back in the US where we produce tangible goods. It makes no sense to tell people to start up a service based business when there are people struggling to get the jobs that would solicit the business.
Go for it. If you think you can make a product-based company, go for it. But your chances are much better with a service-based company if you don't have cash. Compitition is always healthy. If you have a solid business plan, you'll can get some skin in the game.
Quote:

Some of us don't want to start a business right now, if ever. We want to get jobs where we know if we suck up enough, we can keep it. I want a job because I need the income so I can start a family. That's all I ask. I don't think that should be such a difficult venture but with employers constantly using HR bimbos to do their work soliciting candidates, it just wastes everyone's time.
And you guys are the problem. All you want to do is take up jobs but not create them. If no one is creating jobs, then very few people can get hired. If HR bimbos are employed and you're not... perhaps you have much to learn something from them.
Quote:

Isn't that way companies often hire external consultants? To evaluate how they do things and how to improve their processes? They spend all the money on that crap but when it comes to streamlining their candidate search, they bring people in for 2-3 hour interviews and decide that person won't do. Give me a break, it's all a huge power trip.
It's their money. Let them do what they want. No one hounds you when you spend your money.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:40 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,689,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Go for it. If you think you can make a product-based company, go for it. But your chances are much better with a service-based company if you don't have cash. Compitition is always healthy. If you have a solid business plan, you'll can get some skin in the game.

And you guys are the problem. All you want to do is take up jobs but not create them. If no one is creating jobs, then very few people can get hired. If HR bimbos are employed and you're not... perhaps you have much to learn something from them.

It's their money. Let them do what they want. No one hounds you when you spend your money.
How am I supposed to "create jobs" when I don't even have the money to pay someone for a job because I have no job? Circular logic doesn't work well, does it?

If it's a company's money and they can do what they want, sure. But they better be able to explain their expenditures when they lay off thousands of people and cite that things have become so "costly."

Old 01-12-2014, 02:42 PM

Btw, I DO get hounded for how I spend my money. When you're considered part of the working poor class, every little thing you spend gets scrutinized. People expect me to only eat ramen and canned beans, but I am willing to work as hard as possible at a job to serve the employer and I get a response like yours. Really helpful, too.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,056,071 times
Quote:
How am I supposed to "create jobs" when I don't even have the money to pay someone for a job because I have no job? Circular logic doesn't work well, does it?
You were the one behind product-based businesses. Without money, you're limited to service-oriented businesses.
Quote:

If it's a company's money and they can do what they want, sure. But they better be able to explain their expenditures when they lay off thousands of people and cite that things have become so "costly."
They not only have to explain their expenditures, they have to get permission in order to lay off the thousands of people.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:09 PM

When did I say I wanted to start a business? Is that even the topic of discussion here?

Old 01-12-2014, 03:19 PM

400 posts, read 1,506,613 times
Quote:
When did I say I wanted to start a business? Is that even the topic of discussion here?

no. The topic is wasted efforts for interviews all to see an opportunity reposted.

it got a little off topic but its okay as long as someone finds the tangents useful....

Old 01-12-2014, 03:24 PM

A poster implying ready and willing workers unwilling to start a business to create jobs (but will still work) are clogs in the system, isn't particularly useful to me.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:27 PM

836 posts, read 1,657,851 times
Take heart, caradvice, and anyone else looking.

It is a tough time and very competitive to get employed right now.

Consider a lower position where you might shine and advance quickly - drop off resume' and brief, friendly cover letter at employers who aren't advertising openings, have Thank You card already addressed and stamped to fill in custom thanks and mail as soon as you leave the interview.

Little things can make you stand out favorably.

Hang in there!

Old 01-12-2014, 04:28 PM

4,338 posts, read 4,700,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
can u give a concrete example? when i read your comment i think discriminating factors - age, race, socioeconomic status. i hope those aren't examples of what you're referring too.
None of those. We have all ages, multiple races and sex. Considering everyone must have a particular degree/professional license, socioeconomic - I'm not sure how one would know. It's the intangibles when everyone has the same with education, license, experience, etc. This isn't one of those type of jobs where there will be a huge number of applicants since due to the requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search