Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:19 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,716,629 times

Advertisements

what is your experience in lying on a resume or dumbing down a resume?

I'm not advocating these things, but they do cross one's mind when facing possible homelessness.

By lying I don't mean a minor deleting a job or changing a small change of dates
I mean saying you worked somewhere but didn't in order to pretend you had some experience in a field.
Somebody once told me they did this and got fired a few times for not knowing what they were doing.
At that point however they had had a few weeks on some jobs and this was enough to enable them to keep a job on a third attempt. Plus you research about what the work entails.
I'm not talking about anything major where you pretend to be a doctor or something or put people at risk. I'm talking about jobs that require only a little more experience than entry level but nevertheless you don't have the experience.

On the flip side you might be over qualified for many jobs yet would take any job even $9.00/hr.
Then you dumb down your resume, you may have been a manager but you pretend you were just an ordinary worker. Or you leave out some job you had entirely.

Another lie is that you might have been out of work for a year or more but you change the dates so it was just a month ago.

I know you can get caught doing any off this but if you are facing homelessness you might try it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 12:24 PM

314 posts, read 697,820 times
my brother lies about experience all the time...and always gets fired after a while because of it (he doesn't know what he is doing...although sometimes he gets lucky as they train him so some jobs , it doesn't matter). i know people who have been applying but say that they still work in their last job (that let them go) in order to try to get a job without having a gap on their resume. when a possible job prospect says they would like to contact them for proof, they say that their current job doesn't know they are looking for a new job and they don't want them to be called as a result. friends that have done this haven't had this lie bite them in the butt yet

Old 01-13-2014, 12:25 PM

149 posts, read 349,123 times
Most companies confirm dates of employment and job titles when doing a background check. How much would that suck to have a job offer, only to have it rescinded for falsification????? And then... try explaining THAT to the Dept of Labor. Don't lie. It's not worth it. exaggerate, sure. dumb down a resume? absolutely. lie? no way.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:29 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,134 times
The only "lie" I have on my resume is one job looks like I worked there for two months when I really only worked there for a week. I worked there starting at the end of the month and and ended in a new month. I'm not going to have my other jobs listed at Month/Year - Month/Year with that one listed at Day/Month/Year-Day/Month/Year. I feel like I'm getting back at them, because this place is known for hiring people for a week at a time on probation without pay and dumping them. Everyone is super shocked I lasted two months. It's in my field. So, I had real experience before that and real experience after it. I've had extensive background checks done. I don't know if it came back or not that I worked there for only a week, but it didn't stop me from getting other jobs.

About changing things to dumb them up or to look better, I don't really see a fault in that. You actually worked at the place. I've had many bosses where I did their jobs. I don't see why if I claimed to be such and such a title it's "wrong". I haven't (yet lol), but I don't see anything wrong with it. I know so many "paper" bosses. I.e. boss in name only and usually due to a connection.

Another I do. I look at the job and tailor my resume. I was personal assistant in college. Depending on what I'm applying for, I either put personal assistant or clerical work.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mialia View Post
Most companies confirm dates of employment and job titles when doing a background check. How much would that suck to have a job offer, only to have it rescinded for falsification????? And then... try explaining THAT to the Dept of Labor. Don't lie. It's not worth it. exaggerate, sure. dumb down a resume? absolutely. lie? no way.

dept of labor would have nothing to do with it. they lied to employers that they applied to not the department of labor. employers can't get that information on if you work somewhere or not. if you tell them not to call your last employer because you still work there they won't.. it could affect if they hire you or not. background check focuses on criminal background. do you even know what you are talking about ? it's always funny to me when people make claims like that and have no clue what they are talking about. my friend works in human resources. i know he has no way to know the truth beyond references and calling someone's former boss or place of work. dept of labor has all the jobs you worked in on file because you pay taxes. they would know immediately. if you lied to them..that would be pretty dumb. not employers..unless you have a federal / state job maybe. by the way, my brother lied by saying that he worked somewhere and had his friend as the reference playing said boss of the place he worked. it worked for him. i could never do that personally...he does work now using that lie. but hey..if it helps you get a job..all the power to you..you are not breaking any laws lieing on your resume

Last edited by msix3623; 01-13-2014 at 12:51 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 12:54 PM

any sort of corporate white collar job will check your dates of employment and job titles. It's standard. Atleast where I live! (Boston). They do an employment verification check and a CORI check.

...when I made the comment about "try explaining THAT to the Dept of Labor," I meant try explaining why you left your job if you got caught for lying on a resume. I highly doubt you'd get any sort of UI approved in that type of a scenario.

Last edited by mialia; 01-13-2014 at 01:03 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 01:01 PM

only checking they can do concerning previous employment is by calling your previous jobs (with the number you give them) or calling references you give them. that is why they ask you for references on your resume..usually of previous bosses / employers. by the way, you do know that a cori check is a background check right? they are the same thing...and those are a given in almost any job. they can only do that after you give them permission to check your criminal record..usually when you don't allow them to they throw your application away. no offense but if you don't know what you are talking about quit posting things like they are facts. they give others the wrong information

Old 01-13-2014, 01:07 PM

Most companies go beyond just a reference check. You must not be in a high level position. Do you really think companies ONLY check your references? You are so wrong. They WILL call the HR department of your previous employers and verify your job title and dates of employment. Not all companies do that, but most do. I've always been date checked contingent upon an offer. Only a handful of companies have CORI checked me.

I know exactly what I'm talking about. Again, this is for white collar corporate positions that I'm speaking of.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:22 PM

you are not reading what i am saying. obviously they call human resources or a boss of a previous job if you post it on your resume as a past job. but they will call only if you give them the number to it. if they don't they will question you on why not. if you got laid off on your last job and have a gap and want to claim on your resume that you still work there but don't want them to call your last job because they don't know you are looking..that is the only situation where you might get a pass on them not calling a previous employer on your resume. unless you give them a number to a previous employer or boss and it is actually a number of your friend pretending to be a boss. and i worked a white collar job. for me, i am unfortunately not able to find jobs that pay well and jobs that don't pay well turn me down and have actually told me i am overqualified and think i will leave once i find a better job which in all honesty is true. i would keep looking to find a better job. i would not lie personally on a resume but what you are saying is wrong. they can't contact companies unless you give them permission and you have to give them your company's number. they aren't going to waste their time looking for it. my brother makes 75k a year in the jobs he applies for (in new york) and all he has is a associate's from devry. he lies and has jobs he applies to call his friends who pretend to be his former bosses. it sickens me that he is successful and paid well by lieing, getting a job that trains him anyway..and here i am with 2 bas and a master's degree struggling to find any job

Last edited by msix3623; 01-13-2014 at 01:30 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 01:28 PM

dude. an employer can call whoever they want to verify your resume. They can go beyond the names and numbers that you give them. It happens all the time. Come out here to Boston and try to play your games, and you'd fail miserably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search