U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 12:44 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,699,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
"Does a thank-you email do anything besides make you look desperate?"

No, it makes you look polite.
Agreed. If anything, a thank you note also, if done well, shows initiative, good customer service and follow through skills. An handwritten note is better than an email, but an email is better than nothing. I've received them as a hiring manager and written them as an applicant. The best ones often reference something that was discussed in the interview, but not in detail. Just to show you were paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 12:49 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,672,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
This is why you always collect business cards from the people you meet with in the interview. If they don't have one (which would be weird in itself) you ask how you can contact them if you have any questions.

Exactly. This used to be common knowledge.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:04 PM

4,125 posts, read 4,139,340 times
"If they don't have one (which would be weird in itself) you ask how you can contact them if you have any questions."

If it's public sector then you just search for the organization and send something to that address with "Attn" and their name.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:07 PM

6,800 posts, read 11,767,775 times
There's a higher probability it'll be interpreted as courteous than desperate but that depends on the hiring manager.. if unsure, just send one.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:10 PM

289 posts, read 302,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
I met with a career counselor today. She was really pushing the thank-you letter thing. In fact, she said I could email one or send it in the mail. Not sure which century she's from. I'm trying not to be obstinate, but I just don't see how a thank-you letter helps.
Every job I ever had, I sent a thank-you note before being hired. It doesn't have to be formal and these days, I would not send it by snail-mail. Just a few sentences thanking the interviewer for his time, re-iterating your interest in the job, and maybe touching on a specific skill or problem-solving ability you have that the business needs right now will suffice. Spend 15 minutes max, and get a job you want in return. Seems like a good tradeoff.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:42 AM

50 posts, read 67,750 times
Because of this thread, I just sent over thank-you notes to several places I've interviewed at.

Years ago, I used to send thank you notes, but then I had a bad experience where I sent thank you notes to a job that they assured me I was going to have, only for them to take it and give it to someone internal. Furthermore, they gave me the run-around for months, rather than just tell me upfront it was given to someone else. They essentially wasted my time and it left a bad taste in my mouth and I never sent thank you notes again.

But after reading this thread, I was encouraged to go back to it. Fingers crossed.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:48 AM
WDJ

286 posts, read 707,959 times
I'm in a STEM field, and I've interviewed many people for entry-level and mid-level positions. For me, receiving a thank you note doesn't really have much of an effect on my decision, as I've already made up my mind about a candidate by the time the interview is over. Additionally, in the department I work in, all the interviewers fill out evaluation forms immediately after and get together to discuss candidates later that day. So by the end of the day, we already know if we're going to shoot out an offer or not, making a thank you note not so helpful.

Out of all the thank you notes I've received, strangely enough, only one of them was from someone I thought was good and was ultimately hired. These days, I only give my business card to someone who I feel is a good fit for the company. Anyhow, I don't think sending out a thank you note hurts, just keep things succinct. But, it's effectiveness can vary depending on what the post-interview hiring process is like.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:57 AM

16,408 posts, read 28,886,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I just this week was in a similar situation although I hadn't had the interview yet. I applied for a position. The ad said that they would reply to all applicants. I got an email stating that they were sorry, but they weren't going to offer an interview. I replied asking for feedback on my cover letter and resume if it wasn't too much of an imposition. They responded back that they had reconsidered and would offer me an interview. I'm having the interview next week!
Excellent news!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Except many STEM candidates are poor at writing and may not be experts in manners. Sending one could be the competitive edge.
Anyone who is not confident about their ability to draft a good thank you note to an interviewer can search on google and find a lot of examples of actual thank you notes that they can read and they can get a good idea of how to write a good one themselves. Don't let lack of confidence keep you down!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Given all these replies I believe I will start sending thank you letters. I have never sent one before, but like many have stated, it seems to be the trend and it will not hurt to do so.
I encourage you to start!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search