U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 06:01 PM

8,936 posts, read 8,400,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
"Does a thank-you email do anything besides make you look desperate?"

No, it makes you look polite.

^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^

It certainly can't hurt, and it just might help.

For me, the real value of a thank you message is after you are hired. Once you land a new position, you must establish your professionalism, credibility and competence. As the weeks turn into months, you will be required to make judgment calls and tough decisions. Hopefully you will get most of these right. You will also be required to solve problems and present your ideas. You will need to present your reasons for doing things, and represent yourself, your coworkers and your company.

Thank you notes are common courtesy and established etiquette. They are part of what makes a well rounded employee. A small part to be true, but a persons overall work persona is comprised of a thousand small items.

Take the two minutes and send a note. It is the beginning of building a relationship with your boss. If you don't get hired, don't worry about it as the email message cost you nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 06:02 PM

537 posts, read 994,581 times
On a side note, you know you've done a great job at an interview when the interviewer takes the time to write to you. This happened to me once before I was offered a position.

I'm going to agree with you. I could care less about thank you letters/e-mails. I do a lot of hiring for my unit, and it does nothing. I already have your cover letter and resume. I already know you're interested. And if you did well enough on your interview, I'm going to remember your name. If a thank you note is what changes a manager's decision, I think I'd rather find another place to work.

Of course, sending one will not hurt but in the grand scheme of things and from my personal experience, no, a thank you letter isn't necessary.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:26 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,196,742 times
Desperate? No, polite. I never heard anyone complain that an applicant was too polite.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:45 PM

12,023 posts, read 16,761,808 times
Send one. We have not called back applicants because they did not send a thank you email or note because it shows lack of follow through. Maybe it depends on the industry, but I work in a field where follow up, relationship building skills, and politeness are essential for the role. You don't show any of the above if you don't thank your interviewers for their time.

As someone who also gives a lot of informational interviews, I would never recommend someone for an open position at my office if they did not thank me. It really puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:00 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,357,159 times
If someone doesn't send me a thank you email, I assume it's because they are not interested in the job. If someone does, it reaffirms they are still interested and they think they are a good fit for the position and the people they spoke with.

I'm not so impressed with myself that I think everyone who comes in to interview walks away thinking, 'Wow, I would LOVE to go work there!'

It doesn't have to do with Emily Post style manners. It has to do with follow-up and communication.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:13 PM

836 posts, read 1,376,911 times
I've had more than one employer mention that I was the only interviewee who ever sent them a thank you note.

In a game where standing out from the pack is the goal - that's an easy advantage.

Buy a box of inexpensive notes and have one addressed and stamped so all you have to do is fill in some Brief details like,

"I appreciate your valuable time to explain the exciting places ABC Company is going.

I believe my ________ and _____________ skills would help ease the load you're currently carrying.

Regardless I'm confident you'll make the right choice and thanks again for your valuable time!"

or whatever but keep it Brief.

Mail it as soon as you leave the building.

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2014, 07:27 PM

726 posts, read 699,590 times
It wouldn't even cross my mind to do this. I'd feel like such a kiss-ass.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:29 PM

113 posts, read 127,562 times
You absolutely do this. Even if the person just glances at the email or the note (I still believe in notes), they absolutely remember who sent one and who didn't.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:38 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,624,711 times
I agree it's polite and can't hurt. But it may not help you either. We would typically interview 4 or 5 candidates in the course of several days and by the the time the last candidate walked out the door we would make a decision. No time for a thank you note to make a difference for that last interviewee. By the way, I never thought "oh what a kiss a**" when I received a thank you. If nothing else it made me feel guilty for not hiring such a polite person!

Old 01-14-2014, 07:42 PM

4,072 posts, read 9,066,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Send one. We have not called back applicants because they did not send a thank you email or note because it shows lack of follow through. Maybe it depends on the industry, but I work in a field where follow up, relationship building skills, and politeness are essential for the role. You don't show any of the above if you don't thank your interviewers for their time.

As someone who also gives a lot of informational interviews, I would never recommend someone for an open position at my office if they did not thank me. It really puts a bad taste in my mouth.
I think it is absurd not to hire someone because they didn't send a thank you note...

When a great candidate comes in, do you send them a thank you note for taking time off of work just so that they can explore possibly working for your company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search