U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 03:46 PM

136 posts, read 142,656 times

Advertisements

I met with a career counselor today. She was really pushing the thank-you letter thing. In fact, she said I could email one or send it in the mail. Not sure which century she's from. I'm trying not to be obstinate, but I just don't see how a thank-you letter helps. Do you think a business that interviews you is going to think, "We really liked that guy. He seems smart, reliable, and has the experience we're looking for. But since he didn't send us a thank-you note for interviewing him, I think we'll go with someone else." ??? I'm guessing that most hiring managers just roll their eyes at thank-you emails and in fact the candidate looks worse because now he/she looks to be trying to courier favor or play on emotions. Maybe it helps in some sectors, like maybe Sales, but I doubt it does for technical roles, where skills are all that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 03:53 PM

400 posts, read 1,317,566 times
depends on the hiring manager. in my experience a decision of yes, no or maybe has already been made before you leave the interview. it may help in the case of maybe......

Old 01-14-2014, 03:59 PM

13,677 posts, read 13,579,480 times
Thank-you notes are basic etiquette in the job-interview scene. With two equally qualified candidates, that thank-you note could be the tipping point. For a manager who is concerned with putting together a cohesive team and maintaining a pleasant workplace, the thank-you note could be very important. And it is a chance to show that you understand the job and the culture of that particular workplace.

"Skills" are rarely all that is considered when a person is hired. One toxic personality can up-end an entire office.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:07 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,232,772 times
A well-timed thank you note can be strategic. I would send them in an email approximately 48 hours after the interview so that my name resurfaces amongst the pool of applicants. An enthusiastic thank you letter can demonstrate your passion for the work, interest in the position, and touch on points that you may have forgot to make in the interview.

Your counselor is 100% correct

Old 01-14-2014, 04:22 PM

43,170 posts, read 41,773,101 times
Sending one will not hurt.

It's not that hard to do. It would take you probably 4 minutes to email one.

No one is so "skilled" that they can't be courteous.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:31 PM

3,279 posts, read 6,603,153 times
Not at all. My boss told me that the contents of my thank you e-mail ultimately pushed him over the edge in deciding to hire me. I wrote a couple of paragraphs reiterating my desire to work at the company, e-mailed it to him right after the interview, and apparently it made a good impression on him.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:40 PM

675 posts, read 1,278,563 times
It absolutely can help. It's a reminder of your name, and as another poster said it could be the small thing that tips the job in your favor. I had one manager who not only hired one person because of a thank you, for another job they decided NOT to hire another person because he didn't wear a jacket to the interview - her takeaway from both candidates was that those little things showed whether or not the candidate cared about the job or the company. It may seem superficial, but when you're applying for a job, why take a chance?

Old 01-14-2014, 05:16 PM

4,072 posts, read 9,064,003 times
I agree with the OP. Especially if you are a man.

The only time I would send a thank you note is if there was some kind of history outside of me applying for a job and going on an interview.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:44 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,052,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
I met with a career counselor today. She was really pushing the thank-you letter thing. In fact, she said I could email one or send it in the mail. Not sure which century she's from. I'm trying not to be obstinate, but I just don't see how a thank-you letter helps. Do you think a business that interviews you is going to think, "We really liked that guy. He seems smart, reliable, and has the experience we're looking for. But since he didn't send us a thank-you note for interviewing him, I think we'll go with someone else." ??? I'm guessing that most hiring managers just roll their eyes at thank-you emails and in fact the candidate looks worse because now he/she looks to be trying to courier favor or play on emotions. Maybe it helps in some sectors, like maybe Sales, but I doubt it does for technical roles, where skills are all that matter.
I disagree wholeheartedly. Though I do think most people know that they are a meaningless formality. How people react to the unusual situation of not getting one is going to depend on the person and the interview. Though most hiring managers would expect to receive a thank you email so I think it's clear your counselor is right and you are wrong in this case.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:50 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,395,875 times
"Does a thank-you email do anything besides make you look desperate?"

No, it makes you look polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search