Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:45 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,287 times

Advertisements

Any number of things could happen to anyone of us. You want a company to give you another chance if you couldn't make it to an interview, right? Why not afford them the same chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 09:31 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
Let us know the outcome, curious to what they say!

Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 PM

68 posts, read 210,863 times
I might be more forgiving if it's a large company. My experience with HR depts is that they're generally incompetent. I once drove 140 mi for a job interview HR scheduled for a large firm (>4,000), only to find that most of the senior people in the department were out of town all week for a professional meeting—no one from HR had told them I was coming.

A few months later (same company) the boss (for whom I'd worked before) wrote the job requisition from my résumé. I applied, but HR never forwarded my résumé to him. He called them and asked if they had my application—they said my résumé didn't seem to fit the requisition so they didn't pass it on.

They did the exact same thing to me 22 yr later when I tried to hire someone and used her résumé for the requisition. BTW, that position required a 4-year degree in a lab science, and 1/4 of the applicants HR sent me had only high school.

Point is, it turned out to be a great place for me to work for 25 years, as long as I didn't have to deal with HR. I wouldn't write this company off completely unless you can determine the people you would actually be working with were the flakes.

Just my 2¢,
HeyMikey

Old 01-16-2014, 12:35 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,620 times
I once had a no show for a phone interview, and didn't hear from then until a day later that the recruiter had been out sick. I would have appreciated a call from someone else just letting me know the interview would need to be rescheduled.

I have learned whenever an employer has their HR or recruiters running around about how "swamped" or "busy" they are, and can't do simple things like returning phone calls or showing up (or calling) for scheduled interviews, I need to be wary. It becomes a run around and makes me wonder if it's a sign of an internal systemic problem they experience. Would I want to work for them at that point? Probably not.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:18 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,287 times
Some companies, like mine, forego hr completely. My case, for example, I dealt directly with my supervisor from start to finish of my hiring process. The only time I had to deal with hr was when I needed to fill out forms like insurance. I'm pretty sure my supervisor knows how incompetent hr is so he does everything himself.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:06 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,228 times
If you were a no-show to an interview and didn't respond to a courtesy email, I can nearly guarantee you that the company trying to interview you wouldn't be trying again.

Sure, something could've happened -- someone called in sick (definitely possible this time of year), some emergency popped up, whatever. But in my experience, companies like this are generally companies you do not want to work for. If they can't get it together enough to interview you, what's going to happen if you start working there?

See what they have to say when they respond -- they should at least make an attempt at a semi-apologetic tone with some sort of reasonable explanation. I know others may disagree, but your time is valuable too and shouldn't be wasted.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:41 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Any number of things could happen to anyone of us. You want a company to give you another chance if you couldn't make it to an interview, right? Why not afford them the same chance?
If I couldn't make the interview, I'd actually call ASAP and let them know of that fact. If the interview time came and went, I'd want to call them and explain why I couldn't be there at the allotted time. Moreover, I would expect them to demand not just any explanation of my absence, but a valid one at that. I expect the same in return. Employees are not doing themselves any favors by communicating during the interview process that they are willing to tolerate bullsh*t. That's how employees end up being miserable - it can even end up derailing a promising career track. Taking a job at a dysfunctional company can be just as bad as having a gap in employment. Don't do it, OP. Not unless there is a really good reason.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:44 AM

400 posts, read 1,508,512 times
How to tell when a prospective company is wasting your time

Old 01-16-2014, 09:46 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
If you were a no-show to an interview and didn't respond to a courtesy email, I can nearly guarantee you that the company trying to interview you wouldn't be trying again.

Sure, something could've happened -- someone called in sick (definitely possible this time of year), some emergency popped up, whatever. But in my experience, companies like this are generally companies you do not want to work for. If they can't get it together enough to interview you, what's going to happen if you start working there?

See what they have to say when they respond -- they should at least make an attempt at a semi-apologetic tone with some sort of reasonable explanation. I know others may disagree, but your time is valuable too and shouldn't be wasted.
Exactly!

As you said, does anyone think a company would seriously consider the OP's application if he just bailed on an interview? Doesn't matter whether it was intentional or not. The fact is that they aren't respecting his time, and if someone's communicating disrespect during the interview process...one has to consider what it would be like after they get hired.

One common denominator in all human relationships is that people will take what they can get from each other. I don't mean that humans are evil, but that's just what I've observed over the course of my life. If you don't stand up for yourself, if you let others know that you're the guy that can be pushed around, then push or shove they most certainly will.

If the OP's desperate and has no other offers at this point, then that does have to be considered. Sometimes, we have to accept what we can get, but I doubt that's true in most cases. In a lot of instances, desperation is the result of a failure to plan ahead. It can be mitigated and even reversed with some careful thought and action.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:05 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,309 times
The biggest obstacle to an employer trying to fill positions is often their own HR department.

They tend to be self-important bureaucrats.

A wise employer tried to find a way around this; for a prospective employee it is more challenging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search