U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 08:39 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,525,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post

Do you think they intend to even hire for this position? WTF is going on?
Impossible to answer. I offered my opinion earlier and can only stick with that. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 11:45 AM

50 posts, read 63,137 times
This sounds absolutely crazy to me. I am job searching right now but am employed and I'd imagine by now, I'd stop taking time off from work for interviews. Then again, my current position hired me on the basis of an e-mail interview where they asked me some questions about if I thought I could handle the job and my past experience, and I had to send a writing sample. (I'm in media.) I got a start date and knew who I would be training with and reporting to not long after that.

(I work remotely and yes this is a legitimate company. They have been a good place to work and were bought by a bigger company last year.)

It sounds like the company is too picky or indecisive. I could not keep going through this unless it was my only option or I really, really, REALLY wanted the job for some other reason.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:57 AM

8,826 posts, read 13,326,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywriter110 View Post
It sounds like the company is too picky or indecisive. I could not keep going through this unless it was my only option or I really, really, REALLY wanted the job for some other reason.
This is beyond picky and indecisive this is dysfunction on a level that is unimaginable outside of government.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:06 PM

6,804 posts, read 11,795,901 times
This sounds like you're interviewing for Google, Goldman Sachs, or the FBI..

Old 01-19-2014, 12:40 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,717,167 times
Quote:
I was told by the hiring manager that, since so many people are involved in the process, it takes a lot of time, sometimes. I scheduled the follow up interview with them - it's not until a month and a half from now!

That is something you need to ask them. And I would have when you scheduled this latest interview.

You could do it in a polite and tactful manner, but I would be asking if this is the final interview. When do they see this position actually being filled.

You didn't say whether you're employed or not, but to have to take time off from work and make excuses to your current employer starts to become noticed by coworkers and bosses.

I guess the only upside to this is has been going on for so long and now you won't interview with them again until March, it doesn't look as obvious as someone who has to take time off within a shorter time frame.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:07 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,214,140 times
Quote:
I was told by the hiring manager that, since so many people are involved in the process, it takes a lot of time, sometimes. I scheduled the follow up interview with them - it's not until a month and a half from now!

It certainly sounds unorthodox (although, you've just said their normal hiring process is lengthy), but as many of us have said, only you can decide. If interviewing is not eating away vacation days at your current job or making your boss suspicious or causing you great stress, why not see it through to the end, if you need or want the job?

Who knows, perhaps part of their testing process is to weed out those who aren't persistent enough to stick with the runaround to the end, as it's an indication one can't deal with the delays or red tape which might be encountered on daily projects. Or, maybe they're waiting for you to speak up & take charge. All anyone can do is guess & all you can do is ask them for further detailed clarification, perhaps in the next interview or before setting it up. You've met a good deal of people at the company. Can you imagine yourself working for those interviewing you? Do people looked stressed out or content? What's your overall feeling of the environment? Going with your gut instinct is probably your best guide.

BTW, have you googled or checked sites like glassdoor.com to see what others may have said about this company & their hiring practices? It may glean useful info & answers to your time related q's. Best of luck.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:54 PM

417 posts, read 714,642 times
Theyre probably trying to decide between you and other finalists.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:33 PM

1,730 posts, read 2,201,004 times
Yes, aggravating but if you need the job it may be worth doing. They must be seriously considering you or you would have gotten round filed after your 1st interview.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:54 PM

13,721 posts, read 8,617,819 times
Quote:
I have been interviewing for a position with the same company since September. I have gone on four interviews, which includes panel interviews, one-on-ones and phone interviews. I was informed last week that they want me to come in for yet another, fifth interview. This would be with several people I've already talked to. This is a respectable, mid-level position, but by no means a leadership, executive role (the type of positions I've understandably seen people put through the ringer to get). I just don't get it. I am tired and not even sure if they feel I am "the" one. Feels like a run-around.
I wouldn't put up with it. Obviously, this company suffers from "Corporate Constipation". They go the the right spot, make all the appropriate moves, but nothing happens.
Stop calling them back.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:04 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,427,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
This is beyond picky and indecisive this is dysfunction on a level that is unimaginable outside of government.
It absolutely is. It shouldn't take no more than 3 interviews. If it's taking longer than that, then it's not worth it.

Well, not to ME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or